Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What is an 'ability'?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Palmu

Palmu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 103 posts
Per the thread title, I'm curious about what things in the game are abilities? Or is it a catch-all term for everything like special rules, stratagems, warlord traits or psychic powers, as examples?

Slasher956

Slasher956

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,590 posts
  • Faction: OoOML, Ulthw√©

Abilities  are rules that apply to a model and our found on the models data sheet (normally between the weapon stats and the keyword block in the section labled: Abilities).

There may be abilities that can be granted via other means such as WLT or powers...

EDIT - abilities also include the faction rules (ie space marine chapter tactics, SoB <order> convictions) and the troops objective secured.

So Abilities are anything that states its an ability.

Edited by Slasher956, 18 November 2019 - 02:56 PM.

Dyspraxic & Dyslexic  - So I might not write/explain what I think I have as clearly as intended to.... 

I'm confussed... what side of the fence am I on???

happy.png

Palmu

Palmu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 103 posts
Thanks for the answer, though the rules are still a bit unclear, since a lot of things don't state at all that they're an ability, and the rulebook occasionally refers to things as something other than an ability, such as a 'rule'.

As a more concrete example, the Canticle of Hate litany grants +2" to a Charge, but states that this does not stack with other abilities that do the same. Is a Stratagem that grants +1" Charge an ability, and is a Warlord Trait that grants +1" Charge an ability?
  • Morticon likes this

Acebaur

Acebaur

++ VENATORIS MALUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,554 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

To add another example. Does the chaplain Litany that extends the range of aura abilities also extend the range of something like the relic that has a 3" bubble of 4++?

"There can be no meeting of minds and no understanding with such beings as exist in the dark places of the galaxy.There is simply a choice: defeat them, or be defeated by them. And Defeat them we will"
- Chaplain Emmerich

++++ The Jericho Crusade ++++
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"Let our feet, steel clad, pressed into the soils of this alien land, remark on our passing. What need have we of plaudit and praise? No matter the laurel of victory, no matter the glories others may seek.
We are the Black Templars. Victory is it's own reward."
- High Marshal Helbrecht

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users