C'tan?

Beatnik cryptek

I watch all the 8e batreps with necrons I can and rarely see peolle take c'tan except in special battles. One guy took a tessaract vault and deceiver and ended up getting a bunch of space wolves to blow themselves up after he use deceiver to move them into his lines. ROTFLMAO!!!

So do you use c'tan, and if you do which ones? If you take a transcendent what powers do you give him?

Edited by Beatnik cryptek

I sometimes use the deceiver or the nightbringer. But i've never run both, and I've never used a trancendant.

Nightbringer following up a screen of wraiths is a brutal bit of combat punch.
The deceiver can help a lot with a Mephrit army, moving large squads of shooting infantry into rapid fire (and bonus AP) range turn 1. But it hinges on going first to be really effective.

Of the powers, Sky of Falling Stars is by far the best. Good odds of causing 3d3 mortal wounds (spread across 3 targets), as long as your opponent isn't completely inside transports. Since they know 2 powers, I usually pair SoFS with Anti-Matter Meteor for single targets when needed.

I play a Nightbringer in most every game I play, accompanied by Wraiths with a vanguard unit of Scarabs, using the Antimatter Meteor power on approach and Cosmic Fire once (if) I get into the thick of the enemy's lines. Worth noting is that my games aren't particularly competitive and I do not play in tournaments. Typically the combo put down a handful of enemy units before finally losing out to dice and the Nightbringer is wonderful when you get the charge, but unfortunately despite having a 4++ save mine almost always dies miserably if someone charges it and gets to attack first. At least it explodes on a 4+, right? Always nice sneaking in a mortal wound or two on your way out. The nice thing about the Nightbringer is that the people I play tend to make sure they kill it, which can leave a portion of my army more or less intact at critical times, since it will wreak a fair bit of havoc once it gets in close.

Interesting you donct take sky of falling stars,  a lot of c'tan users swear by it. Do you ever use it? 

I'm  getting an altertaive figure for nightbringer, I nave two alternative c'tan models already for generic c'tan and may get an alternative deceiver too. 

Some cctan players love the deceiver for his surprise move ability, I find him dubious for the d3 unit thing, I can't think of one unit I want to deploy close to the enemy alone.  Now a unit with say a crypyek to give  it a 5++... 

Those are the only two powers I ever use outside of an off chance use of Wrath of the C'Tan to cast a random 2nd power. I take Cosmic Fire for thematic reasons and so I can damage characters as well as units once I've closed in. Sky of Falling Stars is a solid choice and given its range very likely has more utility.

I think if I used a Deceiver I would go full-on with the relocation shenanigans. Deceiver pulls Monolith + as many Warriors/Immortals as it can, Veil of Darkness on a Cryptek pulls Zhandrekh and Obryon follows immediately with Lychguard. T1 starts and the Monolith pulls whatever unit the Deceiver couldn't bring with Dimensional Corridor thanks to the timing of Grand Illusion.

No idea how this would pan out but I do think it would be a pretty funny game.

Yes, it's easy to do.

Fortunately it brings us to the subject of the c'tan traits. What one do c'tan users prefer?

I like cosmic tyrant as two c'tan power shots is just sweet. If you want to use your c'tan as a brawler then displacement is beautiful for getting him into close combat sooner.

I generally pass on the sentient necrodermis as d3 regen likely will not save him when the enemy fires seriously at it.

Entropic touch makes your c'tan a real monster in close combat.

The writhing landscape is hard to pick given necrons have other options to remove cover saves.

I'd stick with picking one trait as opposed to rolling two until and unless they let you retoll a duplicate result.