Malal

xenomorph_21

Also, Tzeentch was the first Chaos God.
Tzeentch embodies mutability and change, the drive to evolve and manipulate. This spirit is present in the essense of every living creature from the first division of cells within the womb to the ultimate craving for survival.

Khorne was not the first, but is the most dominant.

The 2nd ed. Chaos Codex says otherwise;

139, First sentance of the entry for Doombreed;

"Khorne was the First of the Great Chaos Gods to awake fully,"

Tzzentch may embody change and evolution, but he probably wasn't the first to awake because the essence of non-sentinent organisms may have little impact in the warp. It is one thing to subconciously strive for evolution and change, it is another to make a concious decision for it.

the closest chapter to following Malal would have to be the Night Lords in my opinion...or the Omega Warriors (they've got a black and white split pattern!).

Sorry to disappoint but I can quite categorically state that the Omega Warriors black & white colour scheme is absolutely nothing to do with Malal. I know this better than anybody else in the world (about the only thing about which I can honestly say that) because I invented them. Many years back in second edition days there was a White Dwarf contest to invent a new chapter (I think that the winning chapter was the Howling Griffons by Fred Reed) not dissimilar to the contest currently running. The Omega Warriors were my entry. I'm afraid that the underlying motivation for the Omega Warriors heraldry was lazyness:

Black and white colour scheme: if you spray undercoat the model white you're half way there already.

Split colour scheme: looked striking without being too complicated.

Chapter badge: Standard Ultramarines transfer turned upside down.

Chapter name: Developed from the lazy approach to a chapter badge, not the other way around.

They were actually fanatically loyal to the Emperor, hence their motto: We are Omega, the End of Heresy.

I didn't win, but my entry obviously languished in a cupboard at GW until years later they produced the Insignium Astartes and I was overjoyed to find that they had been published. Thanks for the mention though. Nice to know I've had an (admittedly minute) influence on the hobby. Actually, the OW's hatred of Chaos inspiring them to turn to Malal would be a pretty cool bit of fluff so anybody that wants to develop them that way is welcome to. I think with the new SM codex I may have to develop them a bit further.

Oh, and I never knew Malal's colour scheme 'til today. If anything was an influence it was probably the Stormtroopers in Star Wars! (My OW captain wore all black suspiciously reminiscent of Darth Vader).

A hint of Malal lives on!

I remember reading a really old comic that featured a champion of Malal. It was set in the WHFB world, but he wielded an axe that he called his "Dreadaxe."

Now, read the Dreadaxe entry in the chaos codex: "contains an entity ... that is especially partial to destroying daemonic rivals."

Malal has a Daemon Weapon! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not a chaos player, so I'm not up to date at all on any of this, but this is my take on Malal:

He is a paradox. He embodies self-loathing, yet also the loathing of those with power and authority over you. He is the god of anarchy, which is the very essence of chaos, and therefore every follower of chaos (including the gods) owes some of their power to him, and therefore every act done by them or in their name, is in some small way done in the name of Malal and he is, being the only god of true chaos, the stuff of chaos from which all daemons and general chaos nastiness are made, therefore he has even more power over everything chaos, but since he was kicked out by the other four, he has only the bare minimum of power as far as chaos is concerned.

Just my ideas. I didn't mean to say he was a bad idea or unusable, just adding my ideas.

Also, since Konrad Curze utterly hated and despised himself, shouldn't he be some sort of Malal follower?

• 2 weeks later...

Cats, eh? sounds interesting... after all, cats have yet to recieve large press in the 40k universe, unlike dogs or big things with wings.

although the superiority complexes of most cats mean that they probably never even consider the possibility that there could be anyone more imporatant than them...

Cats, eh? sounds interesting... after all, cats have yet to recieve large press in the 40k universe, unlike dogs or big things with wings.

Actually, if we consider big cats such as lions, tigers and jaguars then they are quite common as space marine chapter names. I remember a WD competition to design a chapter where, once all the results were in, they discovered they had so many cat related chapters that they made them a separate category!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's a bit of information I found in an interview with Gavin Thorpe regarding the possible retintegration of Malal within the Chaos Mythos:

Are there any plans to "put back" Malal into chaos?

None at all. Aside from any old copyright issues, I personally find the idea of the anti-Chaos Chaos god inconsistent with the way Chaos is supposed to work. However, the idea of personifying the self-destructive side of Chaos is an interesting one and formed much of the inspiration behind Be'lakor.

So, Malal back amongst the Chaos Pantheon? Ain't ever gonna happen while the Gav-man runs the show.

JF

• 2 weeks later...

hang on a sec.. A motral thrice born ? thats Ephreal Stern SOB.... Now she is a living weapon against Chaos.. Yet she is also a heretic as declared by the High Lords themselves, I bet GW will try to replace her within the Malal niche..

Think about it......

• 3 weeks later...

The Rogue Sons article in the latest WD (UK 303) is well worth a read, it expands a bit on the Sons of Malice. Obviously I won't post the article here, but to poin you in the right direction, in particular this line is of interest:

, and to this day they reside within the Eye of Terror, where they wage a hate-fuelled war against any they encounter, be they servants of the Imperium or indeed, other followers of Chaos.

With the name, colour scheme and now their fluff. Surely GW is giving us something to go on?

Ladies and gents, I give you Malal worshiping marines. The Sons of Malal, I mean Malice :blush:

Alright, I cant find it now, so if someone wants to call an Inquisitor on me for spreading rumors, go right ahead, but on the Black Industries website, the new subcompany that's publishing the revised edition of the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying Game, there was a mention that there will be 5 gods of chaos, includeing Malal. Now, wether this means that Malal was never realy gone, just pushed aside, or that it was actualy Hogshead Publishing that owned the rights to them, which GW got back when they went to republish the RPG, I dont know, but I amd more than certian that Malal is going to be back in fantasy. And, since they have said it's likely they will release a 40K RPG in the future, there is a good chance that Malal will appear in 40K as well. Now, I know someone will probably point out that the Horned Rat is also a chaos god. While I agree with this, he's usualy not included when people mention the gods of chaos, since he realy doesnt have any human followers.

Haveing said that, it's also worth pointing out that Malal is still in the minds of the players (obviously) and those responsable for the fluff, since I just started reading the short story collection "Laughter of Dark Gods", in which there is a mention of a warband of Malal in the first story. So indeed, Malal is still alive(?) and kicking, he's just not getting the same attention his 'big brothers' are.

• 4 weeks later...

I was reading this thread and I actually had a moment of inspiration.

::Long post (read: rambling rant) Warning::

Recently I've been writing a fanfic. The main character, Tydeus, is the captain of the Tenth company, Angels Sanguine. My cycle of stories will follow his fall.

It all starts with a realitively normal mission. A planet has been shirking Imperial tithes, etc. The Angels Sanguine are called in to investigate and collect the back pay. The Lords Sanguine (commanding council) decide that the mission should be easy enough, so they order the Tenth company, mostly made up of raw recruits, to take the city. All proceeds as planned until they meet the heretical governor. He is a somewhat powerful minor follower of chaos undivided. He is easily able to shred the Company Ancient, Judas Vanhel. Tydeus finds Judas, eats part of the corpse, and with Judas' memories, and a touch of the Black Rage, he kills the governor.

Along with Judas' memories, Tydeus captures a small part of the Ancient's soul. He shows all of the aspects of Daemonic posession, so is exiled from the Chapter. Going through Judas' belongings, he finds a book dating to the First Great Crusade. It's essentially a heretics guidebook to stuff. Each owner of the book adds a section covering their area of expertise.

And then some stuff happens. I know I want him to lead a rebellion, and then go killing off Chaos nasties. I figured that Malal would be a great reason for this as well as the oppurtunity to add some awesome powers.

Thanks for reading this, please give me some feedback on the idea.

Who is Be'Lakor?

As for who Malal really is, am I the only person that the bisected black/white skull looks familiar to?

Malal is the Machine God of Mars!! All the Imperium's Techmarines wear a beisected black/white skull on the chestplate of their armor. They are Malal worshippers and don't know it.

I know there is the theory that the Machine God is a C'tan, but the Adeptus Mechanicus' symbols don't appear on any Necron units.

Archived