Reading order of Mephiston books

Indefragable

Since he's the man of the hour of late, just wanted to make sure I got the following correct in terms of reading order (I have never seemed to have gotten around to actually reading these...I know! Shame! Shame! Shame!)

1. Mephiston: Lord of Death by David Annandale

2. Mephiston: Blood of Sanguinius by Darius Hinks

3. Mephiston: Revenant Crusade by Darius Hinks

4. Mephiston: City of Light by Daius Hinks (forthcoming)

That correct?

Or is the Annandale novel more of its own thing and not related/necessary to read before the others?

I wouldn't skip it. It's very good, albeit short.

It is related in that it has the same companions to mephiston (his epistolary friend) and covers him beginning to lose control.

To me it felt as related as each of the hinks ones are to eachother.

Yup, that's right. Also to note that if you add the Dante books to it, I believe the order becomes:

Mephiston: Lord of Death (separate from the others really, but it's before the current 8th edition timeline)

Mephiston: Blood of Sanguinius / Dante (both are starting points for the 8th edition timeline)

The Devastation of Baal (direct continuation of Dante)

Mephiston: Revenant Crusade (has Primaris marines in it, so after DOB)

Darkness in the Blood

Mephiston: City of Light

I'm reading Revenant Crusade atm, and haven't gotten my hands on the latter two books yet.

Define mediocre? Imo there are only a handful of books in the whole Black Library that are better than mediocre. People have different standards. :wink:

This is always a problem isn't it? The discrepancy in how people rate the same novel is quite large.

As an example, I rated Dante 10/10, DoB 7.5/10, Lemartes 6.5/10, Fear to Tread 2/10. Where would you put Mephiston books?

More important, I heard that the novels don't actually give a lot of insight into Mephiston's character, other than 'he is super strong'. What I always look for in novels is "What it means to be [insert relevant thing]". That is why I loved 'Dante' so much. It had everything I wanted to read about. Who is Dante? What it means to be a Blood Angel? How are they made? etc.

From what I've read on reddit about Mephiston's books, is that it's pretty much just Meph going Super Saiyan all the time, rather then a deep dive into his personality.

Edited by Klod

Define mediocre? Imo there are only a handful of books in the whole Black Library that are better than mediocre. People have different standards. :wink:

This is always a problem isn't it? The discrepancy in how people rate the same novel is quite large.

As an example, I rated Dante 10/10, DoB 7.5/10, Lemartes 6.5/10, Fear to Tread 2/10. Where would you put Mephiston books?

Since I'd rate those quite similar in regard to Black Library novels ... a solid 8 for the first Mephiston novel and I haven't finished the second yet so I can't properly rate it yet but so far it's good.

Since I'd rate those quite similar in regard to Black Library novels ... a solid 8 for the first Mephiston novel and I haven't finished the second yet so I can't properly rate it yet but so far it's good.

Sorry, I edited my post while you were replying, but 8 sounds promising.

Sorry, I edited my post while you were replying, but 8 sounds promising.

More important, I heard that the novels don't actually give a lot of insight into Mephiston's character, other than 'he is super strong'. What I always look for in novels is "What it means to be [insert relevant thing]". That is why I loved 'Dante' so much. It had everything I wanted to read about. Who is Dante? What it means to be a Blood Angel? How are they made? etc.

From what I've read on reddit about Mephiston's books, is that it's pretty much just Meph going Super Saiyan all the time, rather then a deep dive into his personality.

The first novel is mostly from the PoV of another Librarian that interacts with Mephiston, that's true. It's more about how Mephiston is seen by others since he's so strange and powerful and how his condition is changing (the spoilers about Darkness in the Blood kinda sorta explain why that's the case).

I'm only at the beginning of the second novel so I can't say much about it. So far it has been from the PoV of a Techpriest and Mephiston just arrived at the scene and flexed quite a bit.

Based on the Darkness in the Blood spoilers I don't think Hinks will ever dive super deep into his personality like Haley did with Dante. Mephiston is very ... special. It's not really possible to talk about it without spoiling a LOT. :sweat:

Edited by sfPanzer

Ok, I see. I'm avoiding the spoilers, so I guess I'll just check them out before the new novel comes out. It's like in 6 month for mere mortals?

We didn't get a date for Darkness in the Blood so far but it already got sold on the BL Weekender so it shouldn't be too long. The third Mephiston novel will be released 7th december together with the model and PA3 according to the leaked schedule.

Ok, I see. I'm avoiding the spoilers, so I guess I'll just check them out before the new novel comes out. It's like in 6 month for mere mortals?

We didn't get a date for Darkness in the Blood so far but it already got sold on the BL Weekender so it shouldn't be too long. The third Mephiston novel will be released 7th december together with the model and PA3 according to the leaked schedule.

I didn't read into the wall of text here, but people claim 'Darkness in the Blood' comes out in 6 month. Don't know where the info is from though.

Edited by Klod

I didn't read into the wall of text here, but people claim 'Darkness in the Blood' comes out in 6 month. Don't know where the info is from though.

Yeah it's true that the regular edition gets released about 6 months after the LE usually, however the LE didn't get released officially yet. ^^