Modelling power amor ports

Filkarion

Hi guys!

I have a bunch of wip slaanesh marines with some exposed flash area, sometimes whole torsos (thanks to some sweet AoS barbarians). I really like their look but the ydo not strike me as marines until I give then some kind of power armor ports (like Magnus model, for example)

I guess not being alone in this, but I did not manage to find any kind of tutorial about that. So, any good suggestions? Green matter? Drill? Both?

Maybe a pyrographer/welder/pointy hot thing?

Edited by Filkarion

I would try a very small piece of green stuff.  Situated it on the body where you want it.  Then shape it into a flat circle.  Press a small dot in the center of the circle.  A pencil would probably work for a tool, if you don't have other sculpting tools.  Use the eraser for the first part, and the point for the second.  Just use a very small amount of green stuff.

Thanks! I have done some tries with the method you describe but I did not manage to get a good result. Probably even less stuff and pressing to the body with a tool before using the pointy head would do the trick! Thanks! Do you have any picture of good results?

Anyone went for a drill instead?

You can make perfectly round holes with a raised edge very easily using a pin or paperclip and a lighter or candle. You do need to be careful and you'll need something around your metal poking implement so you don't burn your fingers, But beyond that it's simple.

1. Heat pin with lighter or in candle flame.
  2. Press the hot end against the plastic while holding the pin at a 90 degree angle, so it's going straight in.
  3. Pull the pin slowly back and the plastic with draw away a little with the pin, creating a "ridge" around it.
  4. If the "ridge" is too high or a little irregular you can file or sand it to the right finish after it has cooled for a few seconds.

If you're going to do this, then be careful with your fingers and make sure there's decent ventilation as you are melting the plastic.

Rik

Thanks Rik, that seems clever, even of a bit dangerous (as is working with hobby knife, resin, paints etc... I do not remember, why we do not choose skydiving as a pastime? It's probably also cheaper... )

I would try both ways, probably on sprue first

By the way... any picture anyone?

Ports? I’m trying to picture what you’re referring to.

I mean the circular connection points/holes for the power armor in marines skin, usually seen on art when an astartes is shown with bare torso/legs (also seen in Matrix movies)

As far as I know they are sculpted in a number of models: Wulfens (good catch Jukkiz! Thanks!), Magnus the Red and the new Sisters Repentia, but those looks a bit different from each other, so I guess I will do some tries an go for the best result from my personal aesthetic/point of view

Edited by Filkarion

Maybe using a bit of plastic glue to melt the surface where you want to do the port and then using the paperclip to make a small indenture? Similar to what Rik proposed, but directly on the miniature and does not involve heating up metal. You could also do it in a bit of sprue and then cutting and attaching it to the model.

I checked the models I mentioned before, and I settled for the shape and size relatively to the body that the ports have on Magnus model

Zzz spinotti 3

Screenshot of Magnus arm taken form the sprue picture in the GW site, sorry, a bit blurry 

as in this, I mean (If you enlarge the image there is actually some kind of plug with a very small hole, but I am referring to how the "thing" appear from a distance)

alexander-bohl-marine-02-21.jpg?15503251

https://cdnb.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/015/955/201/large/alexander-bohl-marine-02-21.jpg?1550325112

I decided to go this way over things more like the new sister models as I want the ports (plugs? Holes? implants?) to be visual clues but not to dominate the model too much. I want them to look like oddities in an overall "relatively normal" (even if impossibly muscular) human body.

So what I want is a tiny hole with rised edge! I decided to try the Rik method on a sprue, with needle instead of a pin or paperclip, for a very small hole. I put the needle on a cork and heated it with a lighter

Here are my fabulous tools

ZZZ Spinotti 2 strumenti

And this was the result... I was speechless!

ZZZ Spinotti 1

This was exactly what i wanted and would be probably perfect on the models too

I will do some more experiment with a sprue with different implements, to check different shapes/sizes, then try on a model an let you know

Edited by Filkarion