Do you think the Custodes will get a Grav Rhino?

We have one, it's called an Grav Carrier, and it's got all the bells and whistles of an impulsor, but it's got a natural 5++, holds six custodes, is fully spammable, and has a double HB and a las fusil for armament.  It also costs a crap ton, so you likely won't be fielding more than 1.  But it's great for getting your 4 wardens, a flag, and a SC into the battle.  At 18 wounds you have to dedicate some serious thought to it as an opponent.  

Edited by Mainely Wargamming

We have one, it's called an Grav Carrier, and it's got all the bells and whistles of an impulsor, but it's got a natural 5++, holds six custodes, is fully spammable, and has a double HB and a las fusil for armament.  It also costs a crap ton, so you likely won't be fielding more than 1.  But it's great for getting your 4 wardens, a flag, and a SC into the battle.  At 18 wounds you have to dedicate some serious thought to it as an opponent.  

No we don't; Custodes have a grav rhino in the lore, the grav carrier is not a grav rhino.  I would also prefer it, I want a transport with no weapons to increase its points, I want a cheap bare bones transport.

Edited by TorvaldTheMild

Oh, my mistake, apologies.  I thought you wanted a grav-troop transport.  I think the Grav carrier is more of a razorback.  

As for barebones transport, I doubt it.  Nothing costs under 150pts when you paint it gold.  We don't have cheap things....:smile.:

That being said, what good would a T7 10 wound thing do for you?  There are no cheap bare bones grav transports.  And I don't want to put any of my super elite guys in a transport that won't get them there in the first place.

Edited by Mainely Wargamming

I do want a grav-troop transport that is what a grav-rhino is.  It would be cheaper, it would have less wounds and no weapons etc.  It will still have a 5+ from flare shielding which will make it tough enough to get them where they need to go, also it would be cheaper as it doesn't need power of the machine spirit.  It will cost far less than the grav carrier, which is more akin to a land raider its not hing like a grav rhino.  Grav-carriers are basically not that great, they are extremely expensive you don't need their firepower as you are better just using FGLTC strat.  In a 1,500 1,800 pnt game you are not going to use a grav-carrier.  I can't see why you think them and land raiders are good units for our army to use.  I would much rather have a grav rhino than a grav carrier.

Nothing costs under 150pnts when you paint it gold" is a completely baseless statement, though.  There are grav rhinos in the lore and they will have to cost far less than a grav carrier.  

Edited by TorvaldTheMild

Well it was designed to allow the custodes to travel into the webway so I really doubt it would only hold 2 or 3.  Its probably the size of a coronus just without the weapons.  I mean its om the lore, it would be a great addition to the army and our army is new and we have hardly any units without taking into account of FW units, so I don't know why yous are being negative about it and dismissing it.  Transport is a problem with our army.  They will have to change the lore to bring in new units to the codex, I'd rather have them revive units that are already in the lore than make something new with some contrived fluff.

Edited by TorvaldTheMild

Lore wise it would have to carry more than 3.  The webway needed grav transports to travel into it as there was no access ramp so to get troops in they needed to create the grav rhino as they didn't have that many coronus'.  So we know the whole 10,000 went in there, so they'd need to carry at least 5 custodes.  Wouldn't be surprised if there were 10, but that doesn't really speak rhino to me.  Maybe it took 5 and then 5 others would just sit on top of the tank.

Edited by TorvaldTheMild

Out of curiosity, and because I don't have the lore in question, can you cite and quote the lore that states that the Adeptus Custodes have Rhinos?

The impression I had was that GW is trying to make the Adeptus Custodes distinct from the Adeptus Astartes. There is some overlap in the Venerable Land Raider and the Venerable Contemptor, so I suppose there might be room for a cheap(er) transport. If the Adeptus Custodes ever get a version of the rhino, though, it won't be a bog-standard version, gaining the "Venerable" appellation and respective benefits.

The lore that is used to justify such an introduction might also matter. How long will it be until Cawl's machinations are turned to providing the Adeptus Custodes with new gadgets? The Primaris are closer in size to the Adeptus Custodes than their legacy brethren, so it would be easier to retrofit their new gadgets to the Adeptus Custodes. Aesthetically, there are significant differences between the vehicles that Forge World has given the Adeptus Custodes and those that mainstream GW has given them, but mainstream GW has simply adapted existing kits to them (excluding the jetbikes). If GW gives the Adeptus Custodes a grav vehicle that is shared with the Adeptus Astartes, I think this is the more likely path.

My personal preference is that the Adeptus Custodes not be given too much that coincides with the Adeptus Astartes (whether legacy or Primaris) or Legiones Astartes. I'd prefer it if they retained a distinctive feel and appearance. That doesn't preclude them getting a cheaper transport, but they already have the Coronus Grav-carrier. I'd much prefer to see the FW stuff converted into plastic (and WH40K rules vice just Age of Darkness) and sold from GW.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the bulk of a Mechanicum army just walked on in there just fine in Master of Mankind.

You'd have to quote that because I don't remember any mention of a description of how they passed the gate.

Out of curiosity, and because I don't have the lore in question, can you cite and quote the lore that states that the Adeptus Custodes have Rhinos?

The impression I had was that GW is trying to make the Adeptus Custodes distinct from the Adeptus Astartes. There is some overlap in the Venerable Land Raider and the Venerable Contemptor, so I suppose there might be room for a cheap(er) transport. If the Adeptus Custodes ever get a version of the rhino, though, it won't be a bog-standard version, gaining the "Venerable" appellation and respective benefits.

The lore that is used to justify such an introduction might also matter. How long will it be until Cawl's machinations are turned to providing the Adeptus Custodes with new gadgets? The Primaris are closer in size to the Adeptus Custodes than their legacy brethren, so it would be easier to retrofit their new gadgets to the Adeptus Custodes. Aesthetically, there are significant differences between the vehicles that Forge World has given the Adeptus Custodes and those that mainstream GW has given them, but mainstream GW has simply adapted existing kits to them (excluding the jetbikes). If GW gives the Adeptus Custodes a grav vehicle that is shared with the Adeptus Astartes, I think this is the more likely path.

My personal preference is that the Adeptus Custodes not be given too much that coincides with the Adeptus Astartes (whether legacy or Primaris) or Legiones Astartes. I'd prefer it if they retained a distinctive feel and appearance. That doesn't preclude them getting a cheaper transport, but they already have the Coronus Grav-carrier. I'd much prefer to see the FW stuff converted into plastic (and WH40K rules vice just Age of Darkness) and sold from GW.

Horus Heresy artbook series p.326 and watchers in death. Grav rhinos are not an astartes vehicle, they were designed for and used by Custodes.

Edited by Brother Tyler

Ah, that I have (the old version, not the new one).

Interestingly enough, the art from that series has provided a lot of the inspiration for many of the models we've seen, especially FW Horus Heresy models. In this instance, though, I really hope that GW/FW don't follow that inspiration. We'll be given an old school Rhino with some maneuvering vanes on it. In this, I much prefer the thought that FW decided to ret-con the "grav Rhino" with the Coronus, giving us a much sleeker and more technologically advanced transport for the Adeptus Custodes rather than the boxy and plain vehicle shown in the picture.

I don't have Watchers in Death, so I can't speak to the description or whatever they called it therein without a quote.

The original Grav Rhino artwork kind of looks like the new Impulsor kit. While the artwork is pretty cool, it looks a bit too boxy too fit the current Custodes aesthetic.

I would not be surprised if we got a new transport. But it's more than likely that GW and FW will want to push the FW transports for the Custodes and Sisters. I'd also expect that it would closely resemble the Pallas Grav Tank more than the Deimos Rhino from them original lore.

I don't think people are being negative, just pragmatic. Custodes are still a fairly new army in the grand scheme of things. I think we have fallen down the pecking order for new releases quite considerably.

At least we have the Black Library stuff to look forward too in February. I enjoyed the first book.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the bulk of a Mechanicum army just walked on in there just fine in Master of Mankind.

You'd have to quote that because I don't remember any mention of a description of how they passed the gate.

As you wish.

The great doors of the Gate stood open at the end of the descending avenue, their two-hundred metre height reaching up to the cavern’s arched roof. Moisture wept from the sedimentary rock sky, painting a thousand shining trickle-rivers down the surface of the metal doors. An image of the Emperor was bisected by their parting: a great embossed mural of the Master of Mankind wielding a spear against the draconic beasts and machine horrors of Old Night. And between those wide doors, only darkness.

‘Keep walking.’ Diocletian’s voice. He kept walking, seeing little, sensing everything. Ahead of him, someone shrieked. ‘Keep walking!’ shouted Diocletian across the vox.

Pain knifed awkward cuts at his eye sockets as he raised his head to see what lay before the marching procession. An archway. A door. A portal. A construct of light-stained marble that disgorged golden mist into the chamber. He couldn’t make out its exact shape – Circular? Oval? – nor its exact boundaries, where the alien mist ended and the structure’s sides began. ‘Don’t look back,’ came Diocletian’s voice once more. Row after row of battle-servitors rumbled into the golden fog, mind-dead to all but their orders. A Krios tank was swallowed a moment later, its passage doing nothing to disturb the mist. One of Jaya’s Knights strode in alongside another servitor host, enveloped by the portal’s exhalations. Another of them stood inactive by the portal’s edge, grasped by tendrils of golden fog, half turned away to look back over the rest of the marching column. Zephon could hear the baroness shouting at the courtier, demanding he keep moving.

When Zephon reached the portal’s cusp, the curling wisps of mist formed breathy tendrils against his armour plating. It carried no scent, no taste, no presence beyond what he could see. Above him swayed the idle form of the awestruck Knight. Either side of him, Thallaxi cyborgs marched into the mist. Their blood-filled face domes reflected the golden fog.