Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

advice for a 1000p Cadian guard army?

imperial guard Cadian

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Broken Baron

Broken Baron

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard

My army at the moment stands as follows: 

HQ: Commissar yarrick (warlord) 100pts 

Company commander (equipped with, power axe abd bolt pistol) 36pts 

Tank commander (equipped with , heavy bolter, battle cannon and track guards) 182pts. 

Troops: 4x infantry squads, 8x guardsmen, 1x  guardsman with vox caster, sergeant(equipped with boltgun and chainsword) 184pts. 

Elites: 1x command squad, veteran with medi-pack, veteran with regimental standard, veteran with vox caster, veteran with sniper rifle. 41pts 

Heavy support: 1x heavy weapon squad, 3x mortars, leman russ punisher with bolt gun, leman russ vanquisher with lascannon   145pts. 

Flyer: 1x valkyrie (equipped with multi laser and hell-strike missiles) 117pts.   

All advice on what to improve would be appreciated.  

HallofStovokor

HallofStovokor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 603 posts
Yarrick is too expensive at 1000 points. Valkyries got nerfed really hard. They are still useful, but not as much as the used to be. Track guards suck and on a battle cannon they serve no function. The vanquisher is the worst tank variant in the game. Command squads are a waste of points that give your opponent a free first strike. You need more infantry, company commanders, tank commanders, and you should consider bringing artillery.
  • BIG ROB OF DEATH and Broken Baron like this

librisrouge

librisrouge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,779 posts
  • Faction: His Noble Inquisition

HQ: Commissar yarrick (warlord)

I actually like Yarrick, even at low point value games. He is expensive, yes, but he's one of the only ways to get auras into the IG army. Combined with orders, it can be awesome. However, Cadians specifically want to issue to re-roll 1s to hit order so that they can get full rerolls. This makes him redundant. I'd recommend replacing his with some psykers or even, if you can scrounge up a few more points elsewhere, getting two more infantry squads and another two HQs. That'll get you 5 CPs.

Company commander (equipped with, power axe abd bolt pistol)

Almost obligatory inclusion into an IG army. Interesting to see a power axe. Every be of any use?

Tank commander (equipped with , heavy bolter, battle cannon and track guards)

Consider making this detachment an Emperor's Fist just to get this guy the relic battle cannon. You won't regret it. Otherwise, consider making him Pask.

Troops: 4x infantry squads, 8x guardsmen, 1x  guardsman with vox caster, sergeant(equipped with boltgun and chainsword)

I've never been a fan of vox casters. Honestly, they're hot garbage. I'd ditch all of them to save you 25 points. Consider taking Creed if you want orders at greater distance.

Elites: 1x command squad, veteran with medi-pack, veteran with regimental standard, veteran with vox caster, veteran with sniper rifle.

The question for this unit is...what does it do? Sadly, the command squad is kinda bad right now. Other than as caddies for special weapons they struggle to find a roll. Consider dropping the vox caster and standard and taking a heavy weapon team with literally any weapon.

Heavy support: 1x heavy weapon squad, 3x mortars,

Almost obligatory to include in a cadian army; let alone any other IG army.

leman russ punisher with bolt gun,

Nice but also a great reason to include an Emperor's Fist. One of the strategems it unlocks lets you advance and/or move any amount of distance and still double tap the main gun. This is perfect for 24" ranged weapons like the punisher cannon.

leman russ vanquisher with lascannon 

Vanquishers are bad. Full stop, bad. A single shot (2 if you don't move) that hits on 4+ isn't going to impress anybody. I hate this. You probably hate this. Don't take vanquishers. Take him as your tank commander and call the elongated cannon he has as your way of representing the relic battle cannon. You can use your tank commander model in this guy's place as a generic leman russ with battle cannon.

Flyer: 1x valkyrie (equipped with multi laser and hell-strike missiles)  

Valkyries shine as busses. They need something to transport. Scions are common. Veterans squads work. Consider a small squad of crusaders. I love them.

Consider posting lists like this in the army list section. You might get better feedback soon and I bet a moderator will be around soon to move it themselves.

• BIG ROB OF DEATH, 4CIN87 and Broken Baron like this
"Frak this, for my faith is a shield proof against your blandishments."
-Book of Cain - Chapter IV, Verse XXI

"I think you really need to be a guard player in order to have that kind of attitude about casualties. My forces were killed to a man for slight strategic gain? All I heard was a buzzing noise until that part about strategic gain."
-Ailarian, Hand of the Kind XXXI

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Broken Baron

Broken Baron

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3 posts

thanks for the advice so far, i wasn't sure where to ask this question so took the guess of the astra militarum section, further posts like this i will remember to make in the army list section. And about the power axe, i usually keep my commander behind the infantry squads so he hasn't had the glory of using it on an xenos yet unfortunately.    

Edited by Broken Baron, 20 November 2019 - 11:41 PM.

• librisrouge likes this

sairence

sairence

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 632 posts
So a few points from me :)

First of all, I wouldn't run the list with the Cadian doctrine. The track guards, the Vox Casters, not many heavy weapons...the list is made for movement. Yarrick will already give you plenty of reroll 1s on your important stuff.

The Vox Casters I personally don't mind in this setup. You have one guy for infantry orders, if you stick with that he needs range for his orders. If you make Yarrick your WL you have an extra one, but he'll be useful near your tanks for his reroll bubble, not so much your infantry. So the Vox Casters give you flexibility to use your orders where they can have the greatest impact.

The only things I would really change are:
the Vanquisher...as great as the turret looks, it's profile sadly makes it the worst turret we have currently. Another battlecannon is never bad, or you could go for a Demolisher. They really shine now.

The Command squad is cool and fluffy, but is likely going to die very fast. If you have it in there for fluff, awesome, but unfortunately you can't expect much from it.

Beyond that it really depends what you're building for. In competitive terms there's quite a few things that could be changed, but you have a cool little force. If you're thinking about how to expand your collections...look at the models first and get what speaks to you. The rules come after that.

On a side-note...can we keep feedback a bit less drastic please? I don't really like seeing entirely negative feedback when someone is asking for advice. Yes, there's always stuff to improve, but there's constructive ways of giving it. I'm a fairly competitive player, but that doesn't mean that I think every list always has to have only the best of the best.
  • librisrouge, Slave to Darkness, BIG ROB OF DEATH and 2 others like this
gallery_30308_9518_8251.png

dchmp

dchmp

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 168 posts

What I'm about to say should be taken lightly as I have no idea what models you have.  I think a few changes would help this list quite a bit.  As said previously tank guards on a LRBT are not useful, but they are on Hellhounds which are fantastic in movement themed IG armies.   For the LRBT I'd recommend a battle cannon or the plasma cannon turret.  The power ax is ok but should really only be used as left over point filler.  The command squad is easy to kill, and I think you'd get better output with an additional infantry squad. 

I do love the HWT with mortars, I almost alway run 3 of them.  I haven't used or played against a Valkurie so I do know how effective they are.  

Hope this helps a little. 

crimsondave

crimsondave

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 123 posts

Two things you can do for no changes to what your using that will help this list is (as already suggested) run the Vanquisher as the TC with the relic battle cannon and use Catachan doctrine instead of Cadian.  Otherwise Yarrick serves little purpose.  He's quite useful with other doctrines.  With Catachan, you'll be re-rolling 1's with Yarrick and re-rolling your battle cannon's number of shots rolls.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: imperial guard, Cadian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users