Ogryn Astartes?

TorvaldTheMild

Never understood why Chapters don't make Ogryn Astartes, Imagine them as astartes.  They'd get a boost in their intelligence as well as physiology, they'd still be stupid maybe average intelligence but the Astartes could still use them.  Imagine one of them in power armour jumping into your fox hole.  (This sin't a serious topic)  

Edited by TorvaldTheMild

How often do you think that Astartes Chapter Masters make major theological, logistical, and tactical decisions out of idle curiosity? Besides, if they're incompatible with the geneseed it just won't work at all unless you have some extremely divergent geneseed. As Atrus pointed out, it's more liekly the leader of a choas warband would try something like this, but even then I'd imagine it wouldn't be without drawbacks.

Sure, the galaxy's large enough that you could easily say that someone tried to do this somewhere, but by on large it won't be a thing.

Edited by Beren

Also, within imperium, ogryns don't live on every world and marines are only ever tithing particular worlds (and are not allowed to do otherwise). Now crusading chapters are different so, in theory they could, but chances are that the geneseed would reject the mutated dna.

Geneseed isn’t even compatible with all baseline/non-mutant genes. It has a high degreee of rejection even amongst normal applicants. It’s designed to work in a very specific way, even down to the gender of the subject. It’s just highly unlikely it would be compatible with ogryn DNA.

Plus, what sets Space Marines apart is not just heir physical ability but their minds and their ability to coordinate in war. In Master of Mankind, the Emperor and Ra Endymion watch the Thunder warriors in action. They essentially say that the Thunder Warriors are not sophisticated enough as warriors to fight the alien threats humanity must face. Ogryns, even with enhancements, would likely not even reach Thunder Warrior levels of sophistication and so wouldn’t be suitable to become full astartes.

I mean, it could be a fun things to explore. Possibly a story where the Custodes crack (I know unlikely) and the Imperium is trying everything to combat them, one of the moves is creating "Super Ogryns".

Unstable and few in number, the few successes that do occur create monsters to fight monsters. Each Uber-Gryn is able to man-handle even Custodes in raw strength and even their prestigious weapons seem to have a hard time hurting the creatures but their mentality is reversed to extremes, becoming little more than a baby throwing temper-tantrums. Handling of these colossal weapons is done with the most bizarre protocols where trained handlers talk to them in baby talk and become their "parent" to keep them in line. The weapon and armour of these hulking terrors is limited to purely melee roles, their primary weapon being the same weight as a fully armour Astartes and some more extreme weapons being equal to terminator armour in weight yet these hulks swing them with glee like a baby with a rattle.

The screams of death playing stark contrast to the gleeful laugh of the Uber-Gryn, thinking it more a game.

I mean, it could be some crazy idea but I mean why not? I mean the Universe is a big place...if Cawl got away with being able to keep THAT number of primaris under lock and key for so long (10,000 years) then I would think it possible someone has tried it.

Maybe even another version of Abberant Ogryns from GSC...that's kinda scary.

The intelligence level you're describing is not far off actual Ogryns. In War of the Beast a Commissar is reading prayers from a children's book to calm them down, because that's the level they can understand. When the Commissar dies they go into a frenzy.

Any less intelligence and Ogryns would not be usable on a battlefield.

Edited by sairence

I don't see this as something undertaken 'just to see what would happen,' that isn't how Chapter Masters operate. You don't become the leader of a Space Marine chapter by doing things for grins. That seems like a good way to piss off both the Ordo Hereticus and the Adeptus Mechanicus, as well as other, more pious chapters.

I could see a desperate commander in the Imperium Nihilus being forced to do the unthinkable and induct abhumans to use as Space Marines in a very specific, frontal assault role. On the other hand, Cawl does all sorts of meddlesome idiocy and gets away with it, so I am sure in some corner of the galaxy such heresy could be undertaken with varying degrees of success.

I don't see this as something undertaken 'just to see what would happen,' that isn't how Chapter Masters operate. You don't become the leader of a Space Marine chapter by doing things for grins. That seems like a good way to piss off both the Ordo Hereticus and the Adeptus Mechanicus, as well as other, more pious chapters.

I could see a desperate commander in the Imperium Nihilus being forced to do the unthinkable and induct abhumans to use as Space Marines in a very specific, frontal assault role. On the other hand, Cawl does all sorts of meddlesome idiocy and gets away with it, so I am sure in some corner of the galaxy such heresy could be undertaken with varying degrees of success.

Cawl is also allowed to do stupid things like that because he's also a Magos Biologus in addition to being a Magos Dominus. He's a member the AdMech's 'playing with syringes to see what will happen' division :lol:

I didn't know about the Commissar reading to Ogryns...I'm sorry, that is just too cute/adorable to not bring up(Actually makes me sad reading that they went into a frenzy after the Commissar was killed)...which War of the Beast book is this from? Someone at BL really needs to release a book or series of an Ogryn regiment or just a POV of how he views the Imperium and situations he lives in.

Krash

Edited by Captain_Krash

How often do you think that Astartes Chapter Masters make major theological, logistical, and tactical decisions out of idle curiosity? Besides, if they're incompatible with the geneseed it just won't work at all unless you have some extremely divergent geneseed. As Atrus pointed out, it's more liekly the leader of a choas warband would try something like this, but even then I'd imagine it wouldn't be without drawbacks.

Sure, the galaxy's large enough that you could easily say that someone tried to do this somewhere, but by on large it won't be a thing.

Regardless, I would.  I think people are taking this thread a little too seriously.  

Edited by TorvaldTheMild

If they did do this, it would be hilarious to hear them explain how fsm still don't exist.

"It's just not biologically possible!" They say, while hurriedly drawing a curtain in front of the 10-foot tall Ogre Space Marines, 4-foot tall Ratling Space Marines, and the sexy bishounen catboy Felinid Space Marines.

Yeah but If I was a chapter master I'd try it, even just for the curiosity for what would happen.

No you wouldn't because you'd be mired in 10 millennia of culture relating to purity, chapter ritual and the veneration of the baseline human as the rightful inheritor of the galaxy, and you certainly wouldn't waste gene-seed on mere "curiosity" because it is literally the single most important item of your chapter.

If you wanted to actually try and shoehorn something like this in it's entirely possible within the 40k universe. 21st Founding is a prime example of supposed tinkering and then we have the Primaris with the previously unthinkable blasphamous act of seeking to improve the holy work of the Emperor. I mean who saw that coming?

It is an unlikely scenario given that they are abhumans and apart from not being genetically compatible may actually be different internally so that they are just not compatible on the most basic level of how their organs work.

Off shoot of the initial Primaris project, secret ordo xenos experimentation, work of Fabius Bile, rogue admech agent, rediscovery of Thunder Warrior creation process, there are so many ways you could explain this away if you really wanted to.

As for how they got the geneseed? Recovered from dead chapter, rediscovered pre-heresy stash, raided Adeptus Biologis facilty/transport, only limit is your imagination.

Yeah but If I was a chapter master I'd try it, even just for the curiosity for what would happen.

No you wouldn't because you'd be mired in 10 millennia of culture relating to purity, chapter ritual and the veneration of the baseline human as the rightful inheritor of the galaxy, and you certainly wouldn't waste gene-seed on mere "curiosity" because it is literally the single most important item of your chapter.

again, I think you are taking this thread too seriously.