Full Primaris Army Viable?

Brother Scorpirus

Brothers, I come seeking your insight on a full primaris Templar force. I'm happy to pepper in a unit or two of non-primaris, but I would like the majority to be our glorious-sized brethren. I don't need to be winning tournaments, but I would like to at least be competitive enough to win a good few hard-fought games.

Yes; you don’t lose anything for us by going Primaris. Well you lose moslty Tide Crusaders. Sense new supplement rules have removed Faux Devi, and weakened significantly midfield support Crusaders (8-11 man strong).*

All of our core rules are usable by Primaris. You have some overlap with gene strategem and assault doctrine. But what makes Templar’s strong now is true regardless of Primaris or not. The main thing you lose is access to certain relics.

*Assuming despite not Primaris, you would be willing to run our 3 Characters and Ceno’s.

Yes; you don’t lose anything for us by going Primaris. Well you lose moslty Tide Crusaders. Sense new supplement rules have removed Faux Devi, and weakened significantly midfield support Crusaders (8-11 man strong).*

All of our core rules are usable by Primaris. You have some overlap with gene strategem and assault doctrine. But what makes Templar’s strong now is true regardless of Primaris or not. The main thing you lose is access to certain relics.

*Assuming despite not Primaris, you would be willing to run our 3 Characters and Ceno’s.

I'd be more than happy to run the characters! What kind of Templar would I be if I wasn't willing to run Helbrecht and Grimaldus haha. 

Any insight on list building and weapon loadouts? 

It depends really; it’s hard to go wrong persay. With Primaris given multitude of options. My main suggestion, is build a brigade. Almost every Primaris Unit has a solid utility or otherwise. And you’d be able to fill a brigade reasonably enough. Which by nature will end up giving a well rounded force.

I just posted the list I’m working towards in this topic: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/359907-reawoken-crusade/?do=findComment&comment=5431887

The only reason I’m taking a dreadnought there is because I’ve got the old BT dreadnought from FW still knocking around on sprues here, and fielding an ancient to supervise all these new marines seemed like a decent enough excuse to finally slap some paint on him.

Aggressors are good because with a stratagem they can advance + shoot + charge as normal. With a Gravis Captain with the WL-Trait +1 to advances and charges it could be a very good thing.  Make him a High Marshal could work. A Phobos Captain with 4++ Relic and 3 Invictors force the enemy to shoot at this enemy first so that you have enough time to come close. 3x 5 Intercessors with Hammer give you few CP and 3 allrounder units. I think Primaris are even stronger then normal Marines except Vanguards and Assault Terminators.

Primaris BT (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [103 PL, 2,000pts]
  • 2x Battallion (Imperium - Space Marines)
    • No Force Org Slot
      • **Chapter Selection**

Selections: Black Templars

Categories: No Force Org Slot

• HQ
      • Captain in Gravis Armor

Selections: Boltstorm gauntlet, Master-crafted power sword, Warlord

Categories: Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Character, Faction: Imperium, Infantry, Captain, Mk X Gravis, Primaris, HQ, Warlord (+1 for adv. + charge)

• Captain in Phobos Armour

Selections: Camo cloak, Master-crafted instigator bolt carbine

Categories: Faction: Imperium, Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Character, Infantry, Phobos, Primaris, Captain, HQ (4++ Relic)

• Lieutenants in Phobos Armor

Categories: HQ

• Lieutenant in Phobos Armour

Categories: Faction: Imperium, Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Character, Infantry, Phobos, Primaris, Lieutenant

• Occulus Bolt Carbine and Bolt Pistol

Selections: Grav-chute, Master-crafted occulus bolt rifle

• Primaris Chaplain

Selections: 5+++

Categories: Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Character, Chaplain, Faction: Imperium, Infantry, Primaris, HQ (relic 2 dice for lithany)

• Troops
      • Intercessor Squad

Selections: Bolt rifle

Categories: Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Faction: Imperium, Infantry, Intercessor Squad, Primaris, Troops

• 4x Intercessor
        • Intercessor Sergeant

Selections: Thunder hammer

• Intercessor Squad

Categories: Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Faction: Imperium, Infantry, Intercessor Squad, Primaris, Troops

• 5x Intercessor
        • Intercessor Sergeant

• Intercessor Squad

• 4x Intercessor
        • Intercessor Sergeant

• Scout Squad (one squad must be that strong because of their new stratagem)

Categories: Faction: Imperium, Infantry, Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Scout, Scout Squad, Troops

• Scout Sergeant

Selections: Combat knife, Power fist

• 9x Scout w/Combat Knife
      • Scout Squad

Categories: Faction: Imperium, Infantry, Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Scout, Scout Squad, Troops

• Scout Sergeant

Selections: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

• 4x Scout w/Boltgun
      • Scout Squad

• Scout Sergeant

Selections: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

• 4x Scout w/Boltgun
    • Elites
      • Aggressor Squad

Selections: 5x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant

Categories: Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Aggressor Squad, Faction: Imperium, Infantry, Mk X Gravis, Primaris, Elites

• Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher
      • Invictor Tactical Warsuit

Selections: Fragstorm Grenade Launcher, Heavy bolter, Incendium cannon, 2x Ironhail Heavy Stubber

Categories: Vehicle, Elites, Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Faction: Imperium

Selections: Fragstorm Grenade Launcher, Heavy bolter, Incendium cannon, 2x Ironhail Heavy Stubber

• Reiver Squad

Selections: Bolt Carbine, Grav Chutes

Categories: Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Faction: Imperium, Infantry, Primaris, Reiver Squad, Phobos, Elites

• 9x Reiver
        • Reiver Sergeant
          • Bolt Carbine/Heavy Bolt Pistol
    • Dedicated Transport
      • Impulsor

Selections: 2x Storm Bolters, Shield Dome

Categories: Dedicated Transport, Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Fly, Vehicle, Transport, Faction: Imperium

• Impulsor

Categories: Dedicated Transport, Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Fly, Vehicle, Transport, Faction: Imperium

• Impulsor

Edited by Medjugorje

Aggressors are good because with a stratagem they can advance + shoot + charge as normal. With a Gravis Captain with the WL-Trait +1 to advances and charges it could be a very good thing.  Make him a High Marshal could work. A Phobos Captain with 4++ Relic and 3 Invictors force the enemy to shoot at this enemy first so that you have enough time to come close. 3x 5 Intercessors with Hammer give you few CP and 3 allrounder units. I think Primaris are even stronger then normal Marines except Vanguards and Assault Terminators.

Primaris BT (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [103 PL, 2,000pts]

Doesn't look too bad at all! My store generally runs up to 1500 points, but I think I could mess with it a bit! What's up with everyone's love of the new warsuits? I don't see many lists without them nowadays.

Edited by Brother Scorpirus

They're cheap, reasonably resilient, have good weapons and start 9" from the enemy deployment zone. They're just really good. 

and have 10" movement. If you have first round with 10" and reroll charges... that hurts. Scouts with Reroll wounds and stratagem to hold the enemy in combat - for sure they arent the only unit which locked in ;)

If the enemy starts - you have a relic with 4++ which should be not that bad.