Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

CA 2019 Rumors

Chapter Approved

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
540 replies to this topic

Dont-Be-Haten

Dont-Be-Haten

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,794 posts
  • Faction: Carmine Blades
TL;DR

Do we not suspect that the marines lowering in price bit, may be things like tactical marines for the non codex marines dropping in points to equal out to the codex cousins? I.e. tactical BA, DA, SW, and possibly GK?

Perhaps points values to follow suit? Afaik that's not a huge stretch of the imagination.

Who knows though. Nothing is concrete, until its concrete.
  • G8Keeper and Sonoftherubric21 like this

gallery_62972_10568_26224.jpggallery_62972_10568_6124.jpggallery_62972_10568_31437.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_Angallery_62972_14467_3723.jpgxpyOWpw.jpggallery_62972_14467_9083.jpg

Mr4Minutes

Mr4Minutes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 671 posts

Not all of us buy digital

It's not about buying digital, it's about providing point updates online for ease of updating. And to avoid having several months delays between adjusting points and books which is the current issue with CA.

I think it’s a good idea, but it still should be spread out, maybe quarterly.

The biggest problem I see is it promotes knee jerk reactions if we expect GW to adjust points on the fly rather then annually in CA. When it’s spread out it allows the meta to adjust and find solutions to the problem with what’s available and not expect a quick change from GW.

The real problem I see is GWs production line. They’re releasing content at a far more rapid pace then in editions past but are you using the same models for content creation.

When you’re printing your annual meta changing update 3 months after your last one was released and then sitting on it for 9 months you’re not really able to get a proper update.
  • Wayniac likes this

Nemesor Tyriks

Nemesor Tyriks

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,602 posts

Not all of us buy digital

It's not about buying digital, it's about providing point updates online for ease of updating. And to avoid having several months delays between adjusting points and books which is the current issue with CA.

I think it’s a good idea, but it still should be spread out, maybe quarterly.
The biggest problem I see is it promotes knee jerk reactions if we expect GW to adjust points on the fly rather then annually in CA. When it’s spread out it allows the meta to adjust and find solutions to the problem with what’s available and not expect a quick change from GW.
The real problem I see is GWs production line. They’re releasing content at a far more rapid pace then in editions past but are you using the same models for content creation.
When you’re printing your annual meta changing update 3 months after your last one was released and then sitting on it for 9 months you’re not really able to get a proper update.
Alternatively, it could help prevent knee jerk reactions. Instead of GW thinking they have to find the right points immediately, they can shave a few off at a time or increase a little at a time, see if it's still a problem, adjust a little further. As it is I think we mostly see knee jerk reactions right now, just with extremely delayed deliveries.
  • Harleqvin likes this

Chronos1985

Chronos1985

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 85 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
I am not sure why this is even a debate. Digital is the obvious best choice for updated points even rules. A no brainer. You literally can update weekly and fix things on the fly.

How is it smart for any consumer to buy something that is immediately out of date to then have to wait months to years for proper updates. And if you're a minority faction you get an even :cusstier deal because you're not a space marine money maker.

Online MOBA games does this perfectly well, updates their games weekly. And fix things that they over did. Hows that any different than a digital book. I even said on my annual questionnaire I would PAY a monthly subscription for this. Youd make more money than selling me my BA codex every 2-3 years.
  • Juggernut, Harleqvin, Indefragable and 3 others like this

trees

trees

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 50 posts

I don't see how a subscription would work without feeling ripped off.  If you try to bring someone new into the game, they will check out completely as soon as they hear it requires a subscription.  The physical books should really come with a code for a digital copy that is updated for free.  I'm going to take what I'm not spending on books and buy models instead, feeling better about how I've spent my money and being more likely to recommend the game to other people.  8th brought in a lot of new players who are new seeing the absurd lengths gw will go to to sell soon to be outdated books and it's not a good look.  

• Wraith776 and nanosquid like this

kombatwombat

kombatwombat

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 534 posts
GW won’t take the points changes out of CA and post them online - the sales of CA would plummet. The points changes are the main draw for a lot of people. Be honest, how many of you would skip buying CA if it didn’t have points changes in it?
  • Black Blow Fly likes this

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,593 posts
What about Seasons like in video games?

Hidden Content

A “season” for GW could be 3, 4, 6 mos however they define it, but the idea is that like many video games (or sports) there’s a defined period for content with the expectation that the conclusion of each season is the time for tweaks. Some options invariably see far more popularity in one season over the next based on those tweaks, but it tends be accepted by the player base since A. Everyone knows things are adjusted relatively quickly B. it evens out in the big picture.

Call me Indy. It's less syllables.

gallery_93095_13980_27776.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Astartes

Warhead01

Warhead01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,827 posts
  • Faction: The Deleted.

GW won’t take the points changes out of CA and post them online - the sales of CA would plummet. The points changes are the main draw for a lot of people. Be honest, how many of you would skip buying CA if it didn’t have points changes in it?

I only bought last years and would have skipped except for the points. Won't be buying another one.

uberwolve 15/01/03 - 6/18/17  username replaced 

http://warhead01.blogspot.com/
Fix Bayonets! 
Hail Hail Freedonia! 

Chronos1985

Chronos1985

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 85 posts

I don't see how a subscription would work without feeling ripped off.  If you try to bring someone new into the game, they will check out completely as soon as they hear it requires a subscription.  The physical books should really come with a code for a digital copy that is updated for free.  I'm going to take what I'm not spending on books and buy models instead, feeling better about how I've spent my money and being more likely to recommend the game to other people.  8th brought in a lot of new players who are new seeing the absurd lengths gw will go to to sell soon to be outdated books and it's not a good look.  

My comments were less about a subscription, and more that digital updates needing to become the norm. I was being mildly facetious in my subscription comment. If you buy the book, you can get the benefits of the art, lore, and rules. But, rules, needs to be digital (an can be in the book). Rules and updates should be free, and updated frequently.

I agree wholeheartedly that they would make the same if not more money off me, because I am buying more models because I feel it's a more balance game with the security blanket of weekly/monthly updates digitally. 

Edited by Chronos1985, 24 November 2019 - 08:16 PM.

Chronos1985

Chronos1985

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 85 posts

I could argue that if GW made frequent updates, then perhaps I would buy models that I definitely don't intend to now because their points/rules are not in line with the game. I would love to buy Reivers, they are what...50 bucks a box? maybe even two boxes. Not going to though because they are obviously not balanced where they should be. 

In that situation I skip CA, they update digitally and I now just bought 1-2 boxes, perhaps even an Impulsor to ride in.

Edited by Chronos1985, 22 November 2019 - 09:52 PM.

• Doctor Perils likes this

MARK0SIAN

MARK0SIAN

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,831 posts

To be honest, I only buy CA for the new missions. Battlescribe updates the points almost instantly so I never use any GW publication (including codexes) for the points values.
  • Prot, Iron Father Ferrum, Wraith776 and 7 others like this

gallery_86689_11936_21517.pngsml_gallery_48988_16053_22349.png

Schlitzaf

Schlitzaf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,924 posts
  • Faction: Black Templar: Dalthus Crusade
Honeslty I was personally super disappointed by last years missions being a step down overall from 2017.
PEbafT7.png?1http://www.bolterand...althus-crusade/
Wish List:
BT Crusader Biker- http://www.bolterand...igensian-squad/
BT Primaris Crusaders - (WIP)
"Proper Tool for the Proper Job"

Biscuittzz

Biscuittzz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 939 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard/Grey Knights

Leaks are definitely false. Absolutely nowhere does it state GK are the real winners of CA19.

• Black Blow Fly, Guzzlrr, wildweasel and 4 others like this

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,799 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos, Wolves and Guard

Yet to buy a copy. Whats the point when the only stuff really usable IS point changes. 

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

"If you mean, "Are we all going to get killed?" Yes. Clearly, Guilliman is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to the Cicatrix." Captain Blackadder

tvih

tvih

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,319 posts
  • Faction: CF/BT/Orks/SoB/IG

Yeah, haven't bought any CA nor do I plan to. Buying it for the points changes would be pointless (ha!) since those can easily be found elsewhere. It's bad enough buying codices when with my infrequent gaming + several armies I get only a handful games at best before the damn thing is already replaced.

• Warhead01, Drudge Dreadnought, Lord Marshal and 1 other like this

Mekhitar

Mekhitar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 514 posts
  • Faction: Ashen Wing, Mercurial Legion
I got last year’s CA for the sisters dex, but I’m really in it for the points.

Like many others noted, I don’t usually have to buy it to access those.

The missions would be very interesting when I was playing just locally with friends, but now that I am into the tournament scene I really find I prefer and enjoy ITC missions (personally), so they have less appeal than they might have a few years ago.

Do you hear the people sing?

Feral_80

Feral_80

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 668 posts
Digital (ie both ebooks and plain pdf) and 100% free is the only way to go with rules by now.
The current GW policy in terms of publication is obviously mental and self-damaging: how can they even conceive to publish stuff which is already outdated when it comes out, having been printed months earlier? And expect people to buy it?! It does not make any sense.

Real rules and pts must all be free to download from the GW website, and be constantly updated with a new version number. Easy as that. Keep printed codexes as a collection of fluff, art, stories, painting and possibly conversions (yes conversions, bring that back dammit) tutorials, as well as wh legends/narrative scenarios rules *only*. Such codexes would sell good - I am absolutely sure of it. I for sure have not bought any printed GW publication in years, they are a joke and a total waste of money.

Edited by Feral_80, 23 November 2019 - 07:52 AM.

• Doctor Perils, Waking Dreamer and Harald Fairmane like this

spessmarine

spessmarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 108 posts
So much nicer what they've got going for AoS.

Warscrolls(datasheets)? All free, in the the free app updated whenever needed like with new releases. FAQ updates to sheets rolled into this.
Points? WH-Community has a list builder, also free to use. Points updated whenever an update happens.

Codex/battletomes for the lore+art+guides+special rules like faction abilities and magic is reason enough to buy. Locking points/sheets behind a paywall
just becomes obnoxious when you try and include balancing.
  • Theradrussian, Panzer, bluescope and 2 others like this

G8Keeper

G8Keeper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,207 posts
  • Faction: Angels Repentant

Digital (ie both ebooks and plain pdf) and 100% free is the only way to go with rules by now.
The current GW policy in terms of publication is obviously mental and self-damaging: how can they even conceive to publish stuff which is already outdated when it comes out, having been printed months earlier? And expect people to buy it?! It does not make any sense.

Real rules and pts must all be free to download from the GW website, and be constantly updated with a new version number. Easy as that. Keep printed codexes as a collection of fluff, art, stories, painting and possibly conversions (yes conversions, bring that back dammit) tutorials, as well as wh legends/narrative scenarios rules *only*. Such codexes would sell good - I am absolutely sure of it. I for sure have not bought any printed GW publication in years, they are a joke and a total waste of money.

Thing is though they still sell well.

Id go for a mix of suggestions from the above. Yes, digitally release pointa updates in pdf format ad hoc or even monthly if they absolutely have to have a timetable, but then give players the option of buying an updated codex maybe once per year (easily done with v1, 2 etc like chaos) where they literally just print in the changes.

That way you have your quick updates but also on a semi regular basis get to discard your potentially thick folder of print outs and have a new book if you so choose.
gallery_3547_15792_6078.pnggallery_3547_15435_7258.pnggallery_3547_15792_4794.png

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,132 posts
They have a catch22 with keeping points in CA, sales would go down but they keep the playerbase more interested and maybe sell more models as more units become viable

They could also put other stuff in it to make up doe it

Free pdf points updates twice a year would be class

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

It's fine to have the point adjustments in the CA. AoS has them in their GA too. However I don't see why 40k Datasheets can't be for free like AoS Battlescrolls. Either download them for free from their webshop, or pay ~2€ a months for the list builder app (once they finally get their censored.gif together and release one) where you can view them too.

The CA offers a bunch of other things than points changes as well, like the CA18 missions have changed a lot for how games are played in this edition and usually in a positive way imo and the open play rules for custom characters or landraiders (even though I'd like to see a more fleshed out version we could use in matched play ... but that will never happen).

Edited by sfPanzer, 23 November 2019 - 09:48 AM.

• G8Keeper and Slave to Darkness like this

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Kolgrim DeathHowl

Kolgrim DeathHowl

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,395 posts

That's a good idea, a digital sheet that changes when they change things that you can have access to whenever you want, I would even pay monthly for it would be about the same for buying the CA book. I'm sure alot of people would want something like that. Since they change and tweak things so often.

gallery_48988_15094_2023.pnggallery_48988_15094_3504.png

Ciler

Ciler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,222 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
Which brings us back simply to the fact that buying the paper book should entitle you to a digital copy (which gets updated). This of course should cost more than buying just the digital copy. But we're going wildly off topic with that discussion.
  • G8Keeper, Lord Marshal and Theradrussian like this
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. Revelations 6:8
BT Album link, Thread on the BT subforum, Thread on the TS subforum, TS album link.

Jukkiz

Jukkiz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 967 posts
  • Faction: Sinners

rack up book prices and give free digi codex? That´s what you lot want?

Hardly CA related... I´m here hoping something like CSM marine point drops and maybe give havoks some extra bodies

• Subtleknife likes this

"Every world is under Emperors might, then why i feel empty..."

15th tactical marine 6th company, Ermus. Sinners chapter

NTaW

NTaW

++ SUSPECTAVI VENEFICI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,601 posts

Looks like we finally have some tangible news.

Chapter Approved 2019
Whatever Warhammer 40,000 army you play, you’ll want to get a copy of this year’s Chapter Approved – the essential annual update for all gamers in the 41st Millennium. This year, we’ve separated Chapter Approved into two bundled books for your convenience.

5d734291.jpg

Try new missions and ways to play with Chapter Approved 2019 itself, then build your matched play lists with the Munitorum Field Manual – a reference guide with points for everything currently in Warhammer 40,000. The Field Manual doesn’t just contain updated points, but unchanged ones too, meaning you’ll only have to look in once place when writing your lists!

Edited by WarriorFish, 24 November 2019 - 08:47 PM.
Font colour corrected

• Kolgrim DeathHowl and Dosjetka like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chapter Approved

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users