Various List-Building Queries

Monkeychunks

Hi all,

I am trying to write army lists and have identified a large number of problems that is causing me an enormous amount of grief when trying to work out the rules. I am not aware of any FAQs that have dealt with these problems and would appreciate a 'community response' to test the water. As far as I can tell, all of these issues fall into the grey murky area of determining RAI when the RAW is not explicitly clear.

1. What is a Fortification Allied Detachment?

Angel's Wrath, Armoured Spearhead and Orbital Assault all ban the use of 'Fortification Allied Detachments'. I am not sure if this is supposed to be a ban on Allies, or Fortifications, or both.

The Age of Darkness FOC shows that Fortifications occupy a separate Detachment rather than being part of the Primary or Allied, but refers to it as a 'Fortification Detachment' without use of the word 'Allies'.

TL;DR: Can I use Allied Detachments alongside Angel's Wrath, Armoured Spearhead or Orbital Assault?

2. Can Word Bearers use the Orphans of War Rite?

According to the flavour text, the Rite of War is not Loyalist-only despite that being the core theme and there is nothing to say that you cannot use it as Traitors. The Limitations then go on to say that it can be used by Word Bearers.

However, all Word Bearers Detachments are Traitors, and so there is an argument that all Word Bearers units are 'Traitor-only' by default and hence banned. The alternative view is that Traitor-only units refers to the little Eye of Horus mark, which would then allow the Rite to use Gal Vorbak and even special characters because no WB unit has that mark.

2 parter-question then: Can the Rite be used as Traitors, and are WB banned as Traitor-only despite being listed as OK in another clause?

3. Do Rite-induced restrictions on Infantry also apply to Jump Infantry?

More of a RAI question, because the RAW seems unfortunately clear. The rulebook clearly states that Jump Infantry are just Infantry, with a few extra rules. Various Rites of War place limits on Infantry such as requiring them to be in a Transport.

Jump Infantry cannot be Transported by any non-LoW vehicle in the game, meaning that they cannot possibly satisfy these requirements. Are they simply not allowed in Rites such as Armoured Spearhead, Armoured Breakthrough or Last of the Serrated Sun?

Very grateful for any opinions on these. I am very keen on playing a Jump-heavy list with some Allied Militia or Daemons, but almost every Rite seems to ban it somehow when applied strictly.

Just trying to test the water and see how the community feels about these conclusions.

1. Yes. These RoW cannot select a Fortification Detachment, but can select an Allied Detachment. It's just another case of bad writing / inconsistency.

(Though keep in mind that with Orbital Assault your entire  army  must start in Deep Strike reserves, not just your Primary Detachment.)

2. No. The entry in the Row description is obviously faulty. Word Bearer forces can never be loyalist, as per their legion rules.

3. Yes. And yes, under certain circumstances you'd need a LoW transport to bring them onto the battlefield.

1. Yes. These RoW cannot select a Fortification Detachment, but can select an Allied Detachment. It's just another case of bad writing / inconsistency.

(Though keep in mind that with Orbital Assault your entire  army  must start in Deep Strike reserves, not just your Primary Detachment.)

2. No. The entry in the Row description is obviously faulty. Word Bearer forces can never be loyalist, as per their legion rules.

3. Yes. And yes, under certain circumstances you'd need a LoW transport to bring them onto the battlefield.

Just a little detail here on the Orbital Assault ROW. Your entire army doesn't need to start in reserves. There is also nothing that forces you to start all units in reserves. They just need to have Deep Strike or have a transport that has the rule.