World Eater Terminators in Landraiders

Rackapulsare

I will not deny that my heart has for, a very long time, longed for a Khorne based chaos marines army. I feel that the blood good would look favorably upon World Eater terminators in landraiders as the main skull-collectors, but what would the rules say of such a force? Is it just completely bonkers and not even close to playable or would it be playable in a somewhat friendly environment?

World Eaters Terminators using the new stratagem are absolutely lethal, but Land Raiders aren't great. They're hugely expensive, don't have any kind of snazzy assault vehicle rule, don't have an invulnerable save making them far easier to kill than you expect, and are able to be tied up in combat with ease because they don't have fly. I think it's best to deep strike your Terminators.

It's not that there isn't a role for a Lard Raider, but why would you want to fill it with Terminators? They're already pretty tough, transports are for squishier troops.

4 min-sized squads of Berzerkers might be better occupants.

In one land raider?

It's not that there isn't a role for a Lard Raider, but why would you want to fill it with Terminators? They're already pretty tough, transports are for squishier troops.

In one land raider?

Spartan fits 20, might mean that instead ?

As others have said, there's not much point putting terminators in land raiders. It adds protection that's simply not sufficient in this edition and mobility that is worse than just teleporting, while severely limiting how many you can take. The only thing they bring to the table is a little extra shooting.

You'd be far better off simply teleporting them along with a Chaos Lord with the +1" charge warlord trait (from the upcoming Faith & Fury book). Take 8-10 Terminators, make them Red Butchers (again in Faith & Fury), give them an Icon of Wrath, and sprinkle in a couple of special weapons if desired (but keep them cheapish - it's easy to go overboard).

Needing an 8" charge with rerolls on the turn they arrive isn't bad at all (~66% chance of success, a little more if you factor in a command point reroll), and they can still mess things up with combi-bolters and the better bolters rule.

IMHO, Land Raiders need more wounds or some kind of "ignore wounds" ability to really reflect how resilient they're supposed to be.

With the new combi-weapon rules they are insanely good now, but leave your land raider to transport your bezerkers, you are best deep striking your termies, as they might not get in CC but they can let loose a hail of long range and they are tough enough to charge next turn.  Also you are wasting the cost of the unit by not deepstriking them in, giving them a transport that doesn't work as well for the unit as deepstriking is basically just making them so more expensive than they have to be.  Land raiders can be useful as they are hard to kill, but you need to fill them with units that need their transport capacity.

Edited by TorvaldTheMild

In one land raider?

Spartan fits 20, might mean that instead ?

Yeah, that's what I meant. Forgot to point out it's a different unit.

I'm not sure there's a reason to take Land Raiders anymore. Sure, Spartans cost more, but the shooting and the transport is just so much better. Quad las-cannons are insidious. The last time I took one, I one-shot a pair of Armigers first turn.

The thing about transporting Terminators with Land Raiders (and their variants): most people only take 5 Terminators. You are sinking a lot of points into a heavy-weapons platform with transport ability. It's expensive enough to dictate the rest of the options for your army, you really have to think about how everything will work together.

I’d do it from a modelling and painting point of view. Having an army of terminators, berserkers, rhinos and land raiders would look amazing and be a joy to paint.

You’ve answered your on question then. In the end it’s what you like. My friend had a Khorne army that is bezerker heavy. It’s awesome.