Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Unit of the week: Hive Tyrant

Tyranid Unit of the Week Unit of the Week series

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Spacecow

Spacecow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 208 posts

Hi everyone! I noticed that quite some topics have started lately about ‘nid army list or getting started with our favourite bugs.

That’s why I thought it would be nice to start up:

LvLnMIE.jpg

Kicking of with the HIVE TYRANT

-What wargear options would you pack on him/her and why?

- Is the point increase worth taking the wings? (use of swooping assault)

- Is it still a viable option after the rule of three introduction?

- What’s your favourite way of using it?

If you like to showcase your Hive Tyrant, feel free to do so!

Edited by Chaplain Dosjetka, 15 December 2019 - 06:35 PM.
Edited tags.

• Dosjetka, Xenith and NTaW like this
gallery_48988_15465_9161.png

Evil Eye

Evil Eye

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,088 posts
  • Faction: Chaos and Tyranids.

I love Hive Tyrants and will stand by them to my dying day. I've got two metal ones and a plastic one- the plastic one has wings, as will one of the metal ones (to be exact a pair of dragonfly wings purloined from a broken garden ornament). The other metal one was going to be converted for a special project of mine but I might just do him up as either the Swarmlord or a regular ground Tyrant.

• Spacecow likes this

ztbmByp.png

"Painting with this stuff is like trying to copy the Mona Lisa using Napalm." -DuskRaider on Typhus Corrosion.

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people, but monkeys do too, if they've got a gun." -Inquisitor Edmund Izzardos, on Jokaero.

(Formerly known as Squigsquasher)

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,944 posts

I think they're still super useful. They were massively powerful at the time with TL Devs, and I think still decent with the increase. Other armies, particularly marines have caught up, however. 

Foot tyrants. I want to love them, but they seem a bit slow and vulnerable. Really wish they couldnt be targeted.  

• Spacecow likes this

gallery_58096_14832_1433.gifgallery_58096_14832_1808.gifgallery_58096_11725_17801.pnggallery_58096_11725_17950.pnggallery_29004_9303_844.pngfriday-award.pngXX 

++ Hive Fleet Jabberwocky ++ The Baalite Feast of Blades 2016; 2018 ++

IronDreddKnight

IronDreddKnight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 198 posts
I’ve got two Flyrants with devourers and monstrous rending claws. If points allow, I’ll add adrenal glands and toxin sacs.
There’s a lot to be said about going full dakka (clearing screens) but I prefer a hybrid load out which can make use of every phase with the flyrant.
I normally choose catalyst and psychic scream as they’re powers.
I do have a walkrant with talons and heavy venom cannon, that sees play in friendly Jormangandr lists.
I also have swarmy, never leave home without swarmy!

Edited by IronDreddKnight, 26 November 2019 - 10:17 AM.

• Spacecow likes this

jbaeza94

jbaeza94

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,326 posts
I have magnetized tyrants and there amazing.
I tried going all shooty, with and without wings and I was never a fan. Scything talks with a weapon is the way to go. I use dual devourers when playing jorg on foot, and the miasma cannon when flying. When I play hydra, slimer maggot infestation is the way to go. Never fails to do the job
  • Spacecow likes this

"Honor the Legion" - Warcry and Motto of the Legion of the Iron Lions.
k0EYErV.pnggallery_26154_15777_7413.png

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,944 posts

Agree with the above, actually. MRC and TL Devs and they useful in every phase of the game. 

gallery_58096_14832_1433.gifgallery_58096_14832_1808.gifgallery_58096_11725_17801.pnggallery_58096_11725_17950.pnggallery_29004_9303_844.pngfriday-award.pngXX 

++ Hive Fleet Jabberwocky ++ The Baalite Feast of Blades 2016; 2018 ++

Lautrec the Embraced

Lautrec the Embraced

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 68 posts
For me the Hive Tyrant suffers sadly from a rather poor melee. I can't really see myself using anything other than Monstrous Rending Claws. Talons ain't too bad but Rending Claws are free, and shred+rending more than makes up for worse damage in my opinion. However I'd say that Broodlord is way better fighter than Tyrant with Claws: more attacks, cheaper and can hide behind your units.

So Dakka-Tyrant it is! If only there wasn't a cheaper monster that have the some firepower...
Yeah, for me (I'd understand if you think otherwise) Carnifex is more appealing choice for Devourers. May not have 4++ nor 12 wounds, but has -1 To-Be-Hit and no degrading profile. And is 60 points cheaper.

Worry not, for I do not hate the Tyrant! It may not be the best bang for the buck but it has utility. A level 2 psyker (Catalyst and Paroxysm usually for me), synapse lynchpin and some nasty shooting and/or acceptable melee in one convenient package. Slap some relic on it and you've got yourself a warlord. Wings are always an interesting choice, if expensive, as no Tyranid else can be that fast and deadly (though Harpy might be better suited for Bio-cannon delivery).

Overall a solid choice, a fluffy choice as well, but I wouldn't run more than one. I hope that our big boy gets some new toys in the upcoming "Blood and Talons".
  • Spacecow likes this

Spacecow

Spacecow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 208 posts
Some really good points. I used to run one with twinlink devourers and wings. Quite like the fast mobility it can bring and also the extra synapse range.
And swooping assault does give that edge during the first battle round.

Lately though I’ve been running more and more genestealers with broodlord and picking hivefleet Kraken to give them extra movement boost.

So I have been grabbing for the swarmlord more often. I do like his ability Hive commander. Especially against shooting heavy armies like imperial fists. I’d like to get accross and engage in melee combat as fast as possible. And it’s better than using metabolic overdrive. No cp cost or losses to the unit.

I also have a weak spot for him as I play against blood angels a lot. And he has turned commander Dante into mush often enough.

It’ll be interesting to see if CA and B&T will have any effect on this unit.
gallery_48988_15465_9161.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tyranid Unit of the Week, Unit of the Week series

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users