Help against Tau

Subtleknife

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help. I played my Primaris Ultras against my mates Tau and got mulched hard. I was wondering if I could get any tips for combating the Tau. My main plan was target the drones with any damage 1 weapons and the multi damage at the battle suits. Tigurius was casting -1 to hit and plus 1 toughness onto the executioner. I couldnt chew through the drones quick enough or they were kept out of LoS so I could not really touch the battle suits.

My list is:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [86 PL, -2CP, 1,739pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Ultramarines

+ HQ +

Chapter Master in Phobos Armor [5 PL, -2CP, 99pts]: 6. Marksman's Honors, Adept of the Codex, Camo cloak, Master-crafted instigator bolt carbine, Stratagem: Chapter Master, The Vox Espiritum, Warlord

Chief Librarian Tigurius [7 PL, 130pts]: 2) Might of Heroes, 4) Psychic Scourge

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 95pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle

. 4x Intercessor

. Intercessor Sergeant: Power fist

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 95pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle

. 4x Intercessor

Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 146pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle

. 7x Intercessor

+ Elites +

Invictor Tactical Warsuit [6 PL, 136pts]: Fragstorm Grenade Launcher, Heavy bolter, 2x Ironhail Heavy Stubber, Twin ironhail autocannon

Invictor Tactical Warsuit [6 PL, 136pts]: Fragstorm Grenade Launcher, Heavy bolter, 2x Ironhail Heavy Stubber, Twin ironhail autocannon

+ Heavy Support +

Eliminator Squad [4 PL, 72pts]

. Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt sniper rifle, Camo cloak

. 2x Eliminator with Bolt Sniper: 2x Bolt sniper rifle, 2x Camo cloak

Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 165pts]: Plasma incinerator

. 4x Hellblaster

. Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

Repulsor Executioner [15 PL, 336pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launcher, Heavy Laser Destroyer, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Icarus Rocket Pod, Ironhail Heavy Stubber, 2x Storm bolter, Twin Heavy Bolter, Twin Icarus Ironhail Heavy Stubber

+ Dedicated Transport +

Repulsor [15 PL, 329pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, 2x Storm Bolters, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Ironhail Heavy Stubber, 2x Krakstorm Grenade Launcher, Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Storm bolter, Twin lascannon

++ Total: [86 PL, -2CP, 1,739pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

He played 3 units of fire warriors, 3 riptides (2 burst cannon and 1 anti vehicle) all had shield drones. He had a unit of path finders with the rail rifles. Cadre fire blade and dark strider. Ghost keel with two stealth drones. A squad or two of market light drones. And one commander suit with fusion blasters. He ran 2 battalions I think.

I couldnt outshoot him nor could I get into cc. We did have a lot of los blocking terrain but his suits just flew around the place. I found the 2 tactical warsuits got mulched turn 1 twice but I dont think my army has enough cc to back them up so I may think about dropping them. The snipers did work for a turn as it meant he had to hide his characters.

Any help will be appreciated.

I have found the warsuits rather underwhelming. If you drop both you can take a Captain and two TFC as a Spearhead Detachment by moving one of your existing heavy support choices over... plus you’ll get another CP. These will put a lot of pressure on the Fire Warriors and drones.

How are your Grav Tanks faring against Tau ?

Ok but due to not having any invun the non buffed one is gone after a turn and then the buffed one by tigurius takes another turn maybe 2 or lucky to get wiped out. I dont even get through one riptide due to the shield drones.

That’s a lot of points in two units that don’t make it past the second turn while his RTs keep plinking away. Maybe swap them out for Inceptors and Suppressors you can deep strike. I don’t rate the WW because it has a large foot print and is harder to hide plus lower rate of fire than the TFC.

Edited by Black Blow Fly

Have you considered 5 Boltstorm Aggressors... with the Stratagem to put them on Tactical Doctrine turn 1 they can disembark 3" from your Repulsor, move 5", and then shoot twice at 18" for an average of 90 x S4 AP-1 shots... with Chapter Master rerolls, you should get about 80 hits, 40 wounds on T4 Drones, and 20 dead Shield Drones a turn?

Have you considered 5 Boltstorm Aggressors... with the Stratagem to put them on Tactical Doctrine turn 1 they can disembark 3" from your Repulsor, move 5", and then shoot twice at 18" for an average of 90 x S4 AP-1 shots... with Chapter Master rerolls, you should get about 80 hits, 40 wounds on T4 Drones, and 20 dead Shield Drones a turn?