Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What is your least favorite HH novel?

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

The_son_of_Dorn

The_son_of_Dorn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,754 posts
  • Faction: All and none
In the grim Darkness of the future there is only,

"My Primarch is stronger than your Primarch"
  • mc warhammer, Sandlemad, DarkChaplain and 3 others like this

My alternate Heresy http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/326705-another-alternate-heresy-with-no-fallen-primarchs/

"Poor chaos, the result of trillions of randomly merged hostile emotional subconsciousness's...........and 70% of them are female"  

Fedor

Fedor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 179 posts

I liked Gorgon of Medusa a lot more on a reread and thought it wasn't a bad deconstruction of the IH(first read was a similar reaction to caerolion) and showing of why Ferrus by the time of the Fulgrim novel had no interest in the Warmaster position. It didn't really make Ferrus seem weak either imo (he doesn't actually fail at all when he's deciding to fight a textbook compliance, it's all going as planned until the personal assassination attempt ) it's just it becomes a retread of the Dropsite Massacre/showcase of already established chinks in the armour(which all of the primarchs have) in the COLD MEDUSAN RAGE temper he possesses and mostly keeps on a controlled leash. It's hardly surprising if that bubbled to the surface a few times during the crusade, yet when the only full novel you have of the character in so far is all about the time it became a key part of his downfall it doesn't hit home as much to focus on it again with little to contrast against.

Overall for me as an IH player it just seemed like the wrong story at the wrong time though, and the EC stuff was indeed heavy-handed. It's easy to see why IH fans or those wanting something different from them than stories where they are at their lowest/situations that don't suit their skillset were let down by the book basically taking a forgeworld legendary victory and turning it beat for beat into a foreshadowing of the Dropsite Massacre. I feel it would have been a lot better received as part of a bigger Great Crusade Iron Hands series that had books showcasing their brutal, set-piece approach being very successful to contrast with imo.

Haley's Corax took a similar  deconstructing the legion approach, but was more even handed and successful at it imo, though the writing isn't as skillful or distinct. I'm really interested in seeing how Guymer approaches the Lion.

On Fallen Angels, that book was an odd one to me. Lee's work in the Darkblade books and to a slightly lesser extent the Nagash trilogy was some of the best prose in BL and he had one of the more distinctive literary voices in the stable at the time. I didn't get much of that flair at all in Fallen Angels, though i enjoyed most of it well enough other than the bizarre and poorly explained Terran Sorcerers inclusion. Lee was someone i thought would then go on to be a semi-regular in the series, handling the DA but that book actually was one of his last BL publications for years was it not?.

The failures I was referring to were not taking any precautions against psykers during the negotiations despite criticizing the Ultramarines for falling for the same trick, then doing a "screw it, charge" final assault only to risk nuclear annihilation, despite the Ultramarines/Thousand Sons ground assault actually getting destroyed by them. "Who would have known the guys who previously used psykers to mess with negotiations would use psykers to mess with me during negotiations? Wait, our blind assault is being targeted by WMD's? How could I, tactical and strategic Primarch genius that I am, have foreseen them using the same tactic they used against our previous major assault a second time?"

I don't disagree with those observations, That's what i mean when i say it then became a retread of the Dropsite/already well known character flaws. Guymer obviously  wanted to hammer home the point that the character is following a dark ideological path compared to someone like Guilliman( like Curze, in his own way he's committed entirely to being a weapon of war for the Emperor) and that by the time of Gardinaal this has lead Manus to become complacent and overconfident in his success and frustrated at no one  being able to really push him in combat(with subtle allusion this includes a few of the other primarchs)...he's shown as quite self-aware though and mostly recognises his issues in the last part where he's talking to Fulgrim and thinking about Guilliman. I'm guessing Guymer wanted to link things up to the more laid back, wiser and content Ferrus we see initially in Fulgrim, before the personal betrayal brings the COLD MEDUSAN RAGE back to being a problem again.

It's a clever enough book in its own way and i'd say if one of the options for how to go about writing an entry in the series was "deconstruct the characters personality flaws and use them to foreshadow the tragedies of the later heresy" it mostly succeeds other than some of the EC ham-fistedness. Some of the other books like Perturabo, Corax and Curze have taken the same route and i think it's an interesting literary choice( especially as there is often so much " power levels" discussion around primarchs where this kind of thing can easily be taken as faction bias/:cussting on a character and unfairly give books a bad rep) i'm just not really sure it was the right one for Ferrus, considering we're not likely to get other dedicated books any time soon.

• mc warhammer and DarkChaplain like this

The_son_of_Dorn

The_son_of_Dorn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,754 posts
Ferrus is one if my favourites. His death is like the equivalent of killing of say Iron Man in the first Major Marvel movie for me.

Really wanted to see more of him at his absolute best yano. Not become some tortured ill used plot device down the line which even his own legion uphold with breathtaking strangeness.

My alternate Heresy http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/326705-another-alternate-heresy-with-no-fallen-primarchs/

"Poor chaos, the result of trillions of randomly merged hostile emotional subconsciousness's...........and 70% of them are female"  

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,464 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

In the grim Darkness of the future there is only,

"My Primarch is stronger than your Primarch"

In the grim Darkness of the internet fandom there is only,

"My Space Dad can beat up you're Space Dad."

teehee.gif

Yeah BL did Ferrus dirty in HH. Though I think IH came out better overall than Salamanders though. 

gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,530 posts
Let's be honest here...the space dad on space dad action is half the fun of the HH setting

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,279 posts
that...could be taken the wrong way
  • StrangerOrders likes this
can't touch this
can't touch this
can't touch this
warhammer time!

StrangerOrders

StrangerOrders

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 133 posts

Let's be honest here...the space dad on space dad action is half the fun of the HH setting

I'd argue its even funnier when its centuries-old demigods go into internal monologues about how awesome and misunderstood their particular Space Dad is and how their Space Dad is actually the bestest Space Dad and all other Marines are just Jelly.

Its considerably less funny when folks take those views at face value, but it is pretty funny to read them.

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,889 posts
  • Faction: None - I'm a fluff nerd.

*cough* least favorite HH novel *cough*

• DarkChaplain likes this

Lost Legion, the Predators                                                     Liber Astartes Swap Challenge 2019   

tn_gallery_87379_12273_68539.jpg gallery_26154_15777_13780.png 

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

This is my mod voice. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My mod voice is a means to an end.

Let us avoid it, alright?

The_son_of_Dorn

The_son_of_Dorn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,754 posts
Least favourite at the moment is deliverance lost. Boring, bland, overly stereotypical.

Just my two cents.
  • Dumah and Biscuittzz like this

Roomsky

Roomsky

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 738 posts

While I stick by my previous picks (Vulkan Lives, Deathfire, Battle for the Abyss), I feel there's an argument to be made for any book that made me less appreciative of a faction after I put it down is a qualifier, regardless of any more broad strokes quality. And I don't mean something that intentionally turns a faction into a hate sink, you'll love to hate them if it's well executed, I mean going in excited to learn about a faction and coming out of it finding them lame and uninspired.

Following that criteria, any of the following qualify for me:

Vulkan Lives / Deathfire / Old Earth

Descent of Angels / Fallen Angels / Angels of Caliban

Deliverance Lost / Corax

Battle for the Abyss

Nemesis / Garro

Vengeful Spirit

There are certainly plenty of other sub-par entries, but most of them were neutral enough to not sour my view of the factions presented.

And, if that seems a bit sour, I will point out that entries in the Heresy series have made me care far, far more about several factions that I didn't have any interest in before reading, most prominently: Iron Hands, Ultramarines, Space Wolves, Mechanicum, White Scars, Night Lords, and World Eaters.

• mc warhammer, LetsYouDown and bluntblade like this

Hey I've started a web comic! You can read it here.

Lord_Caerolion

Lord_Caerolion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,422 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Sobek

See, Corax I actually liked, because it helped show that perhaps if Horus had come to Corax in a different way, he could have turned quite easily. He doesn't care about justice, despite his protestations, he cares about vengeance. 

Deliverance Lost, however, I wasn't a fan of. Yet another instance of Alpha Legion as plot device.

• The_son_of_Dorn and Roomsky like this

"And then Horus landed on the Moon, which looked like the moon. Funny that, isn't it?"

You're hired.

LetsYouDown

LetsYouDown

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,608 posts
  • Faction: Legio Vulpa

While I stick by my previous picks (Vulkan Lives, Deathfire, Battle for the Abyss), I feel there's an argument to be made for any book that made me less appreciative of a faction after I put it down is a qualifier, regardless of any more broad strokes quality. And I don't mean something that intentionally turns a faction into a hate sink, you'll love to hate them if it's well executed, I mean going in excited to learn about a faction and coming out of it finding them lame and uninspired.

Following that criteria, any of the following qualify for me:

Vulkan Lives / Deathfire / Old Earth

Descent of Angels / Fallen Angels / Angels of Caliban

Deliverance Lost / Corax

Battle for the Abyss

Nemesis / Garro

Vengeful Spirit

There are certainly plenty of other sub-par entries, but most of them were neutral enough to not sour my view of the factions presented.

And, if that seems a bit sour, I will point out that entries in the Heresy series have made me care far, far more about several factions that I didn't have any interest in before reading, most prominently: Iron Hands, Ultramarines, Space Wolves, Mechanicum, White Scars, Night Lords, and World Eaters.

The Buried Dagger is this for me, so much. I don't even care that I absolutely measured that novel based on what I wanted it to be. I can acknowledge that I was too personally invested in a lot of ways. I poured over the old Index Astartes and the HH1: Betrayal Death Guard sections, for too long. I was always fascinated by what really made Mortarion, often portrayed as a liberator despite his methods, as an aspect of nothing but despair. There were so many possible levels to his fall, like the way he took pride in his sons or how his means made his aspect horrific. 

Turns out it was a dumb, obvious plot and he was an idiot! Cool. Thanks, Jim. I hate your book. I struggle to prevent that from affecting how much I like the Death Guard, and I still do hold a place in my heart for them, but dang. That was bad. Really bad. At least we have Lords of Silence.

• Lord_Caerolion, Sandlemad, Roomsky and 1 other like this

Lord_Caerolion

Lord_Caerolion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,422 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Sobek

Not just that, but the long, drawn-out suffering of the Death Guard slowly eroding Mortarion's willpower apparently happens in all of 5 minutes. The moment he realizes they're sick, he goes crazy and turns to Nurgle.

• DarkChaplain, LetsYouDown and Gongsun Zan like this

"And then Horus landed on the Moon, which looked like the moon. Funny that, isn't it?"

You're hired.

LetsYouDown

LetsYouDown

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,608 posts

Right, as opposed to using the incredibly mutable time dynamics of the warp. They could easily have been lost for literally centuries of pain, and shown up a week after the Siege started, but nah. As just ONE example of the lost promise of this storyline, the breaking of Mortarion could have been this massive time dilation where he was made to suffer and finally shatter for what could have seemed ages. We're talking about the fall of a primarch, and every other ascension was a massive event fraught with aetheric turmoil.

And that's referring to one part of this novel. I could literally rant for paragraphs about this book but I think most of my points stand in the ol' Buried Dagger thread itself. 

Edited by LetsYouDown, Yesterday, 07:28 AM.

• DarkChaplain and Gongsun Zan like this

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,279 posts
i really wanted to like buried dagger because of its subject matter but it sounds like what turned me off flight of the eisenstein is still present in this
  • Gongsun Zan likes this
can't touch this
can't touch this
can't touch this
warhammer time!

LetsYouDown

LetsYouDown

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,608 posts

I'd invite you to read it and make up your own mind. Many seemed to have enjoyed it a lot. Even quite a few Death Guard fans. I'm no gatekeeper, so if you enjoy it that's alright. But it's my #1 most despised novel of the Heresy bar none, for whatever my opinion's worth. I've never read Fear to Tread either, and probably never will. I didn't like Flight of the Eisenstein or any of the Garro series, either. I may just not like James Swallow's writing, period.

• Xisor, Sandlemad and Gongsun Zan like this

Gongsun Zan

Gongsun Zan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 40 posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one who lost enthusiasm for the Death Guard after reading the Buried Dagger, and I'm sort of guy who wants to start buying a new army after every BL book I read. The Death Guard's fall to Nurgle is arguably the most important moment in the Legion's history, and it doesn't even get half a novel.

It find it even retroactively makes Path of Heaven worse, because all of the setup in Mortarion's scenes in PoH are completely ignored in the Buried Dagger.
  • LetsYouDown likes this

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,656 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion

See, Corax I actually liked, because it helped show that perhaps if Horus had come to Corax in a different way, he could have turned quite easily. He doesn't care about justice, despite his protestations, he cares about vengeance.

Deliverance Lost, however, I wasn't a fan of. Yet another instance of Alpha Legion as plot device.

I really liked reading lord of shadow and night haunter close together because you really understand how curze is much more interested in justice than corax. Any justice meted out by corax is more symbolic or accidental ("liberating" an oppressed people is just, but not actually implementing justice).
  • Lord_Caerolion likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users