Welcome to part three of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still).

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Predator

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Predator?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiple units?
  • Which loadout are you using? Autolas, Trilas, Dakkapred, Hybrid (lascannon, heavy bolters)?
  • What optional weapons choices are you taking and does the above affect how you run them?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you.

Please note that the Baal Predator and Deimos Pattern Relic Predator will be discussed elsewhere

Edited by Jolemai

I’ve had some good results from a full lascannnon Predator. Some games it inevitably misses most hits (or the target rolls 4x sixes to save all 4 hits) but when those lascannons do find their target it packs quite a punch.

It performs best for me as part of a fire base around a Captain - I will probably park a Lieutenant with it next time it sees the table too.

I have thought of adding a 2nd to run as a pair as they’re not a huge points cost compared to land raiders but I’m wary of investing in any more non-Primaris models at this point.

As long as FW is still a thing, I'd only ever take a full dakka predator, as I feel the quad lascannon mortis dreadbought is better than the quad lascannon predator. It doesn't have a degrading stat line, you can pop the Wisdom of the Ancients stratagem, which not only means that he gets his own rerolls and doesn't been a captain baby sitter but also acts as a captain for nearby units. Worth mentioning also is that the predator sponsors are :cuss and break easily, not a problem if you want to run HB as you can use a set from the Baal pred, but there's no option but the breaky breaky LC from the standard kit. Love the dakka predator but would prefer a flat number of shots provided it wasn't less than four over the random 2d3.

I run a quad las predator, a pair of full dakka preds and then a pair of Baal preds. Very unconventional, but it has proven to be extremely successful. The key for me has been parking my libby dread and lieutenant warlord within buff range of the 3 preds, then dropping Killshot. Everyone I face is worried about the 4 lascannons, but I find that Killshot upping the autocannon to 4 damage is the hardest hitting of all those weapons. Having the heavy bolters become D2 and wounding other armor on a 4+ is a really nice bonus too.

Killshot is one of the best Strategems in the game. Shame C:SM got rid of it for them...so I’m not holding my breath that we will hold onto ours (‘cause they want to sell Repulsor/Executioners).

I have run 3x Preds w/ autocannon and Lascannon sponsons multiple times and Killshot does WORK. As Matarno pointed out above, the sneaky part of it is the autocannon: 2D3 shots at D:4 each means you only need 1 or 2 hits to get through. And 2x D:D6+1 lascannons are incredible as well. The beauty of it is that each Pred can fire at a different target, so if one Pred doesn’t finish off your priority target (you’ll blow it out of the water more often than you think), the second one goes, then the third. You can also get pretty good leapfrogging them so that 2 of the Preds have not moved while the third swings up into position (kind of like Indian Runs for anyone who’s had to do that workout). I will often start with the one that’s moved since the -1 To Hit from moving makes any damage done feel like a freeby.

Simply put, Killshot is what you take when something MUST die.

On its own without Killshot, a Predator is an alright gun platform whether you go anti tank or dakka. It’s biggest advantage vs other options (Devs, Las Eliminators, etc...) is its pretty resistant to bolter fire with T7 3+.

I would prefer to see it with either T8, 2+, reduce AP by 1, a bunch more wounds, or something else that actually makes it feel like a tank.

Quad-las is pretty solid. the auto cannon is also pretty devastating, but can fluff harder because of the lower AP and strength. I think the math was that the autocannon and twin-las are almost identical in damage output, Damage 3 is pretty dang good. Always take at least two identical predators though.

In full size games I don't thinkI don't think they're necessarily great on their own, but they are a good anchor for a mini-castle. In lower points games mine has been worth it's weight in gold- Even a single vehicle can be hard to take out in smaller games and it just keeps on firing.

I'm planning to run mine with two Dreads and a squad of Hellblasters as a backline firebase. The dreads can be kitted out with lascannons and missile launchers for only 120 points, and you can drop the rerolling 1s strat on them to benefit everything, without the need of a captain. That's potentially 8 lascannons on some pretty durable chassis for a pretty reasonable points cost. Or, you can go in for stuff like heavy bolters/assault cannons on the Dreads, then fit the Pred out with HB/auto-cannon, making a very tanky (and even cheaper) firing line to thin the enemy's ranks if you're sending in a lot of thunder hammers.

Those kinda synergies are what I'm always looking for, probably my favourite thing about this edition.