XIII Legio 1,000pts Starter

No Foes Remain

So after watching a load of Outer Circle videos and looking at my MASSIVE unpainted pile I've decided to start doing something with it, starting off with a simple and small 1k list for the HH. Never played a HH game and last played 40k in 5th ed so any advice would be great, the list was devised via Battlescribe as a rough starter list able to deal with a little bit of everything.

++  Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [997pts] ++

+ HQ +

Warmonger (Warlord) [112pts]: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, On Foot, Power Armour (Centurion/Consul)
Categories: Legiones Astartes, Character, Independent Character, Centurion, HQ, Infantry
Consul
Warmonger: Digital Lasers, Iron Halo
Categories: Consul, Compulsory HQ
Power Weapon: Power Axe

Master of Signal [95pts]: Bolt Pistol, On Foot, Power Armour (Centurion/Consul)
Categories: Legiones Astartes, Character, Independent Character, Centurion, HQ, Infantry
Chainsword or Combat Blade: Combat Blade
Consul
Master of Signal: Support Officer
Categories: Consul

+ Elites +

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought [180pts]: Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon x 2, Searchlight and Smoke Launchers
Categories: Elites, Vehicle, Walker

Techmarine Covenant [35pts]: Legiones Astartes
Categories: Elites, Legiones Astartes
Techmarine, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Axe, Servo-arm

+ Troops +

Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory [145pts]: Bolters, Legiones Astartes, 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion
Categories: Infantry, Legiones Astartes, Compulsory Troops, Troops
Additional Wargear: Additional Chainswords/Combat Blades
Standard Wargear: Bolt Pistols, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Armour
Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Bolter, Chainsword/Combat Blade

Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory [145pts]: Bolters, Legiones Astartes, 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

+ Heavy Support +

Heavy Support Squad, Legion Missile Launcher [285pts]: Missile Launcher, Sergeant, Legion
Categories: Heavy Support, Legiones Astartes
Space Marines, Legion: Bolt Pistol

Input behind this:

Went with Warmonger due to his increased survivablity as a Centurion due to the XIIIth Legio taking pinning if the Warlord dies and sit with one tac squad, Master of Signals would sit back with the heavy support squad and increase their damage output. Techmarine would sit with the other tac squad and the dread would be close support for them with the Techmarine ready to jump out and repair if needed.

Again, any and all advice would be nice as I don't really know what I am doing.

Edit:

Following feedback I've cut the techmarine, trimmed down the heavy support squad and given them a rhino and given both HQs artificer armour.

++  Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [1,000pts] ++

+ HQ +

Warmonger (Warlord) [130pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, On Foot
Combi-weapon: Combi-weapon: Volkite Charger
Consul
Warmonger: Digital Lasers, Iron Halo
Categories: Consul, Compulsory HQ
Power Weapon: Power Axe

Master of Signal [105pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, On Foot
Chainsword or Combat Blade: Combat Blade
Consul
Master of Signal: Support Officer
Categories: Consul

+ Elites +

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought [180pts]: Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon x 2, Searchlight and Smoke Launchers
Categories: Elites, Vehicle, Walker

+ Troops +

Categories: Character

Categories: Character

+ Heavy Support +

Heavy Support Squad, Legion Missile Launcher [295pts]: Missile Launcher, Sergeant, Legion
Categories: Heavy Support, Legiones Astartes
Rhino Armoured Carrier, Legion: Twin-linked Bolter
Categories: Dedicated Transport, Transport, Tank, Vehicle

Edited by No Foes Remain

Greetings,

Look, if it"s your first game of HH, you should really take whatever you feel like. At 1000 points you can't really take a lot of units but you have a clear battle plan so for me you should go ahead with it.

Of course, I can recommend some tweaks for the sake of future games.

- Techmarine is a Character, albeit not an Independent one - he cannot join another squad. He has to either go on his own or be joined by Servitors.

- 1000 points is a tiny little game. Normally I'd say one HQ is enough. Master of Signal is a very good consul, probably one of the most popular ones. He buffs Missile squad nicely.and has Orbital Strike. But sadly he can't be the Warlord. Now, you took also a Warmonger who is quite expensive. You get DigiLasers and Iron Halo, otherwise exclusive to Praetor for 40 pts. But you pay massive 45, and it is worth less than on Praetor since Warmonger has less wounds. However, you also get Deep Strike for one unit - it is the main reason to take this consul. I'm not sure if you have overlooked his deep strike or not, but just know it's not the most point efficient consul if you don't have a proper unit to deep strike.

After all you can DS a Tactical squad but yeah, not sure what for.

- A word about Interlocking Tactics. You want Support Squad to have reroll 1s to wound every turn. To do so, any unit from your army ( barring Automata, SuperHeavies and smth else) must hit it first. So you either shoot an enemy vehicle with Tacticals, waste 20 bolter shots in order to increase Support squad's chances of destroying it, or you shoot separate targets and waste your Legion rules.

That's why things like Rhinos are your friend. They are cheap and have minimal shooting - but you only need one shot to hit. So its single twin-bolter should suffice. In addition, while Rhinos are not too durable, they offer some protection to the passengers for 1-2 turns.

- 2 words - Artificer Armour. Take it. Just do it. You need a good reason to not take it. A must-have on HQs and imo every sergeant should also have AA. You could live without it on Tacticals but Consuls deserve it.

Any advice is great, though I don't have a game group so its more of doing something with all this plastic in my room than gaming.

So didn't realise that about the techmarine and have thrown him out.

The HQ choices are partly for preventing that pinning if the warlord dies, which is the reason I took the Warmonger because he has a more durability than a stock centurion albeit at a price, and its kinda future proofing as well as I may dump him with a Tartaros squad later on.

Good points about the Interlocking Tactics and the Arty armour, will edit my list and add it to the first post.

If you take a warmonger, then it will affect your list a wee bit in the sense that you will want to take a unit that are good at shooting. In low point games (1000-1500p). That means plasma gunners, either tac. support plasma, veterans combi plasma or termies with combiplasma. Why? Beacause at low point games (especially when playing with the centurion rule set) you will have less vehicles and more infantry, and relatively large games more infantry that start out without a transport. Which means that the deeps striking squad will be most beneficial if it can take out infantry efficiently, either cripple a enemy squad or take the squad in the shooting phase as they are only allowed to shoot when deep struck.

So if you take a warmonger, in small infantry heavy games, then take a plasma squad, and deep strike them near a enemy infantry squad and use the rapid fire rule from plamsa guns for mass AP2 shots.

Since you deep strike and close in on the enemy, you will likely get yourself into close combat with your deeps striking squad after shooting its plasma guns, so therefore it is good if your deep striking squad is also competent in close combat. So a termie squad with close combat weapons, plasma blaster, combi-plasma here is quite beneficial.

So a suggestion for a unit list would be:

• Warmonger: artificial armour, (iron halo digi lasers included) and either a power fist or power weapon
  • Terminator squad, 4x combi plasma, 1x plasma blaster,  powerfists (add one or two chainfists so that you can open up dreadnoughts effectively).

When this squad has deep struck near a threatening enemy infantry squad you unload your one-shot plasmas into it, and then brace for the charge in the enemy next turn, you will end up in close combat (since you deep struck near enemy units) and then your termies will come handy with their save and strong close combat weapons.