Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Prot's Awakening. A tale of my Eldar Folly.

Eldar craftworlds Prots eldar

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,334 posts

Some great thoughts there.

I normally do a bit of weathering on my models, but it definitely depends on the army or genre. In this case I think some desert dusting will work nice to bring some more life to it.

Stealing a picture from my blog, this is pretty hardcore so I wouldn't go this far with eldar, but it gives the idea of the finished basework..

Knight-full1.jpg?w=854&ssl=1

I have another silly question...

Skyrunner jet bikes.

They are measured from the base? Correct? (not the model).

Is the official base size 25mm? 

I find the stem sits on this little plastic see-through disk, and I really want to replace it with a different base. I want to drill a hole in a heavier base, but I don't want to come across as 'modeling for advantage'. I'd love to use a small oval (biker) base, or even a 32mm. But again I may be using these in tournament play and don't want to use something deemed illegal.

Click to see....
gallery_2760_14273_30255.jpg
Instagram: @Prot40k

Emicus

Emicus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,509 posts
It might just be the picture, yeah, but the air intakes just.. Seems like a big flat colour 'odd one out' next to the rest of the paint job. Liking the bronze more than the white though.

Wash it down so the crevices are almost black?

Also you forgot the air vents at the back by the 'spoiler', maybe that would tie the colours in more regardless of choice too. It won't be just two big orbs smack dab in the middle of a holographic light show. Its also the same as the belt feed on your cannons, yeah?

As for what you changed, I wanna say the purple glow.

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,334 posts

It might just be the picture, yeah, but the air intakes just.. Seems like a big flat colour 'odd one out' next to the rest of the paint job. Liking the bronze more than the white though.

Wash it down so the crevices are almost black?

Also you forgot the air vents at the back by the 'spoiler', maybe that would tie the colours in more regardless of choice too. It won't be just two big orbs smack dab in the middle of a holographic light show. Its also the same as the belt feed on your cannons, yeah?

As for what you changed, I wanna say the purple glow.

Good guess, but it's the cockpit changed. I decided to not do the pattern on the cockpit.

I keep getting different answers for the vents. I like black for the stealth appearance.  The metallic is a good contrast, but almost too..... "Human" looking. (Metal contruction is for the Mon-keigh! Eldar prefer... er... magic ceramics!)

Click to see....

Captain Coolpants

Captain Coolpants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,853 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights
The cockpits look cool!

Im torn between the gold... I like it, but also don't lol. The black I think looks best.
But in all honesty. I think all the option are great!

Edited by Captain Coolpants, 05 December 2019 - 08:36 AM.

Slasher956

Slasher956

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,603 posts
  • Faction: OoOML, Ulthwé

Skyrunner jet bikes.

They are measured from the base? Correct? (not the model).

Is the official base size 25mm? 

I find the stem sits on this little plastic see-through disk, and I really want to replace it with a different base. I want to drill a hole in a heavier base, but I don't want to come across as 'modeling for advantage'. I'd love to use a small oval (biker) base, or even a 32mm. But again I may be using these in tournament play and don't want to use something deemed illegal.

yes you measure to the base.... for everything that has one

However the offical base for jet bikes is the clear base that they come with.... 

personally I dont see how changing the base size is 'modeling for advantage' as the bonus is a larger area to measure from so give you a small increas in range /auras ... however its now harder to hide (as that goes off the base) and your larger foot print for being measured TO

Dyspraxic & Dyslexic  - So I might not write/explain what I think I have as clearly as intended to.... 

I'm confussed... what side of the fence am I on???

happy.png

Captain Coolpants

Captain Coolpants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,853 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights
I don't see a problem with using a larger base on the jetbikes. You can never go base to base with them anyway because of the bike itself.

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,334 posts

So a couple of things...

I've been painting like a nut... non stop when I get the chance. I'm really wanting to make this eldar force work, and I don't want to drop the ball on it and lose interest before I truly get into it. I find locally I was about the only Chaos Space Marine player, and Eldar wise there's only one real consistent Eldar guy and he plays a lot of ITC and a lot of flyers which to be honest, the flyers hold no real long term interest for me. (Aside from the fact I'd love to paint one or two up).

Anyway, I painted all the vents black on the vehicles and I'm moving on. I did realize in doing so it shows off the fact the main body of the vehicles really isn't that 'black'. The pure black vents show that now, and I will probably varnish them to a higher shine to show a different texture and add interest while maintaining that stealthier tech look.

Goal by end of week:

5 completed Wraiths. (D scythe squad that you see I've started). Complete with basing, etc.

2 completed Wave Serpents

1 Completed Farseer Skyrunner.

This means a few late night nights for sure. But with the scheme figured out, I should be good!

Two problems I have are bases on the Serpents, and base on the Skyrunner. As mentioned.... I really don't think it would be 'modeling for advantage'. I just wanted a cooler, and heavier base for the Skyrunner. A small oval, or 32mm Resin base might be what I go for.

The Serpents' disks always detach when I move them. I'm sure this is common. I don't want to drill magnets in the under carriages, but is there a better way?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Order Update:

I split a new box with a dark eldar friend of mine (Blood of the Phoenix?)  (I don't know what I'm going to do with a second falcon... or the Vyper for that matter.

I dealt with GW customer service... at first they wanted to see a bill. They said they'd help, then said because it was from a non-GW retailer they wouldn't help. Then finally they said they would help, and they said they would send out a new box of Wraithguard! So that's fantastic. 

Also ordered 2 weeks ago (but my GW store missed a shipment?) of  the Vaul Battery thingy.... I'm thinking 3 Vibrocannons???? (Any thoughts on this?)

Still need some rangers....

Click to see....

Slasher956

Slasher956

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,603 posts
  • Faction: OoOML, Ulthwé

On the subject of the serpents... the base doesnt matter for any of our tanks they all have the hover tank rule (so falcons & fire prisms etc so you measure to the hull) so you can use what ever base you want.  Personally I find that when I move them I put the flat of my hand under the vehicle and hold the stem with the finguers to move it... or use two hand...or go censored.gif it and not use a base tongue.png

edit - vypers are good.. you can have 3 in a unit + they are bikes so can go in the webway with your infantry (strat) :P

Edited by Slasher956, 05 December 2019 - 03:24 PM.

• Prot likes this

Dyspraxic & Dyslexic  - So I might not write/explain what I think I have as clearly as intended to.... 

I'm confussed... what side of the fence am I on???

happy.png

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,334 posts

Thanks a lot for the advice on the Vypers. Since most of my army is Wraith based, I'm trying to keep a minimal infantry presence since it will get wacked pretty quickly. The idea of Vypers has always appealed to me, but when last I played they had the nasty 'open topped' issue which made them easy to get a destroy result. lol

I have a lot of eldar on my plate, but I'll look to add three of these in the future. (As a squad the buff psychic powers must get a lot of mileage as well!)

The base issue... I can see what you're thinking about the bases. I fear the stems snapping off, but the Serpent platform is very nicely distributed. However this is what I did with my Custodes bikes:

all-3-bikes-magnetized.jpg?resize=860%2C

all-3-new-bikes-side.jpg?resize=860%2C55

As a side note, this sort of base shape (not these actual bases since they would require a lot of work to fit into a desert scheme) is what I was  thinking for Skyrunner models.

Anyway, this is how I magnetized those bikes and was thinking of doing it for my Serpents, however these bikes took a certain magnet size perfectly. I don't think this is going to work for my Serpents (they were pre build I got them 'used'.) 

So perhaps I'll tough it out and just use the stem system they come with.

Click to see....

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,334 posts

Here is my final scheme. Two vehicles done, and a squad of Wraithguard.

med_gallery_2760_15992_172189.jpg

med_gallery_2760_15992_105154.jpg

If anyone's curious, how I came up with the scheme, and a few more pics are on my blog: https://prot40k.blog...nd-test-models/

Click to see....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eldar, craftworlds, Prots eldar

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users