Prot's Awakening. A tale of my Eldar Folly.

Prot

Okay so some great thoughts I’ll try to respond based on what I’m experiencing.

On guardians; I have had 2 games with them. In my current configuration I can’t fit too many however I think as a single, larger squad in deep strike they work. They benefit from buffs better and can leverage doom well. Also as a large unit giving them the 4 up invulnerable Strat makes sense. The bad news is you must be able to bail them out the next turn. They will be in serious trouble and the standard distance from their guns means they will most likely be accessible by your opponent. Which can work to your advantage. Tough unit to use well though.

Also ironically I just found some younger guys ( well younger than me anyway!) filming batreps with Eldar. The first tonic part is he’s running 2-3 Wraith units, but all shooty. How he makes up for the issues I’m having is he has a ton of guardians in his army ( and he takes the shuriken range extender trait).

Granted these are admittedly not power gamers but it definitely has merit. He’s scooting around with Wave Serpents ( which I love) to make up for the slower units. I was just about to watch his game vs Ultramarines successors, but the list is suboptimal.

On Vibro Cannons: I have three and Ive been using them in my last three games. They are so lethargic that people ignore them until they need a kill. Yes they do benefit nicely from expert crafters, however the downside is they are extremely easy kills. At best I’m finishing of vehicles with them. They are also largely ignored while I have the Wraithknight and Wraith axes on the table.

On the Wraithseer: agreed he would do well especially with the Vigilus Detachment and his cover psychic spell. However I just can’t fit him and I think he’s yet another unit that will get dissected by Dark Eldar and Deathwatch. Too many of those types of susceptible units and it’s a bit hard to come back from in those terrible match ups. Still I like the idea.

Right now the vigilus detachment is used in the supreme command so I can get the 4++ on the Knight and don’t have to use the shield/ Suncannon variant.

Still at 400 points the Knight is hard to use. I still really want him to fit, but still haven’t decided if the Wraithcannon variant or the Suncannon shield is best.

I the the idea of nightspinner vehicles for Primaris, and dark Reapers. Even dual Prisms are a better option right now. I may have to give up on the Wraith dream. Not sure what to try next.

Being a little frustrated I am leaving the Eldar at home for my game tomorrow as it will be a more hardcore environment. ( I may take my AdMech or Chaos). But I have more games lined up on Friday and will use Eldar. If anyone has some modifications to my list to suggest I’m all ears. I’m even considering cat lady right now since my Farseer is carrying so much weight in these games!

Thank you kindly. It’s been genuinely surprising to see the reaction. After painting dozens of armies over the years I’m used to having opinion range all over the place. This Eldar scheme/ project has been very rewarding.

Well I’ve had another handful of games without updating.

Today I played my 12th or so game with my Eldar.

I have concluded I’m barking up the wrong tree. I’m not sure if Eldar are right for me, but I don’t mean that the Eldar aren’t potent enough for me. It’s more what I’m using. It’s just flat out not working to overload on Wraith units.

My loss today was against Orks. I still invested in my Wraith idea with slight tweaks. Today I used the WK and 2 Wraith units. One in a Serpent, one on foot with D scythes. My tweak was a Falcon with missile launcher and Dire avengers aboard and I took a Wraithlord with dual EMLs. That wraithlord was a good change. The rest wasn’t.

Here’s what I’ve found out in the last dozen games:

- I simply don’t think multiple Wraith units work, and adding a WK compounds the problem.

- Wraith units over all came down but still expensive enough to require psychic babysitting. The problem here is your can only babysit one squad.

- no footprint. Most Eldar units I’m using have a high price and low coverage. Getting objectives is one thing but providing character Psyker protection Is really dicey.

- the Wraithknight is fun, and I prefer the cheaper version but there’s a real problem getting out put from him. He’s really just a sponge. But again he MUST have fortune on him or he’s just too prone to a T1 death.

So I thought I wouldn’t go this direction but I’m looking at traditional units, and considering dropping most of the Wraith units for more economical and much higher damage units.

I've had the same results and even dropped all wraith units. I've tried several different builds and have discovered that prisms and hunters are the balance part. This is not flavor I like. Also thought night spinner not needing LOS but that gives a +1 save to enemy. Now that said, reading the new craft world build ups in Phoenix rising might help with this. So don't give up the ghost just yet, read thru those to make your own craftworld. Think you might be surprised. Edited by Dread

My last outing vs Orks, I finally did not have first turn.

So I lost the Wave Serpent after a CP reroll to save it failed....and of course it goes down and 3 of my axe shield Wraiths die.

The Wraithknight is half dead. I lost scouts and my Falcon is half dead.

My turn takes everything I’ve got to crack one Morkanaught. The final blows came from my Wraithfighter. I also got off impaired senses on the relic Shokk attack gun which earlier that turn got a mega shot off on that wave serpent.

I’m reeling. And I admit to my opponent with such small numbers I’m kind of pooched now.

I insist we continue as I want to see what I can do. His T2 he roasts all my D scythe wraiths on foot. Easily I might add. The WK had Fortune and somehow lived with 5 wounds. But I lose my other scouts and I realize how much the Knight absorbed. So I figure if I can keep the Knight alive, I have a chance.

In his assault he charges me with his Warboss deepstriking Dreads. I somehow survive and interrupt to stomp the second Dread before it swings.

So,ejow im still up on points but I know the Knight with only 2 wounds is holding the whole army together.

Sure enough it’s shot up... but explodes. It kills a Warlock, a Spirit seer, takes 4 wounds off my Autarch and Farseer. I’m in big trouble. I still charge in, kill the warboss. The last two shield wraiths charge Kans but they aren’t enough. I lost the squad in return. Also in that shooting phase the falcon and dual EML Wraithknight took the Gorkanaught down.

At that I have to concede. I have killed about as many models as he has. However that Maeve’s me with about 10 and leaves him with about 80 including both Shokk guns.

The highlight? My dual EML Wraithknight was actually decent.

Thanks Sultansean,

I’m getting a little.... dismayed. I am trying to prep for an ITC event and although it’s a long way away, if I chose Eldar I have to be painting it now. 

thus far my AdMech are doing a massive amount better. I like my AdMech but at the time I was really trying to play something very different. And I actually like the Eldar dynamics. 

What doesn’t seem to work is wraiths. The Wraithknightbis debateable, but in each case shooty armies give this list a big problem. 

The wraithguard are often taking that move twice... Quicken? And Fortune. They are fun units but I find the cost is not worth giving up true damage. Plus as I’ve found out, a similar cost in Talos tear into them...even with the charge.  ( plus I just can’t get past the poison stuff). 

so the list is ever changing as a result if some of these horrid matchups I’ve been having. 

The last list was:

farseer Sunrunner (doom and Fortune)

warlock

Autarch Skyrunner

Spirit seer

6 Dire Avegers in Falcon with Eml

5x2 Rangers

5 axe shield Wraiths in Wave serpent

5 Wraiths with D scythes ( used to have these guys in a serpent too but tried them on foot last game )

3 Vibroncannon units 

1 wraithfighter. 

1 Wraithknight  Wraithlord (!)with 2 EML. ( played my first game with this guy and he actually did some damage and was largely ignored)

Wraithknight with Suncannon and shield.  ( I’ve decided this is my favourite build. Bought the model but not sure I’ll use it). 

so I think that’s about it. Really stumped. Some units I like that I believe would help fill gaps are: 2 x death Spinner tanks. Perhaps 5 dark reapers. A deep strike threat? Extra Wave Serpents seem good. A bit pricey points wise but they are a pain for people to shoot at and seem to last a little longer. 

finally I’m thinking I pretty much have to entertain the thought of adding 2 Crimson Exarch flyers ti make a potent, mobile threat to my opponents characters. ( other armies get far too comfy with characters against this army I feel). 

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Although I’m ready to throw in the towel I don’t really want to. I’m still strongly considering the Crimson Exarchs. 

Edited by Prot

Can wraithknights even take EML?

Its a shame. This isn't how I was hoping this would go.

I used to LOVE playing my wraith only army. Back then my big wraiths were all immune to small arms fire due to being toughness 8. But now this edition everything can hurt everything.

I used to rock a wraithseer, 3 wraithlords and a wraithknight in my lists most of the time.

I've not played at all this edition.

And my wraith guard used the be awesome because good template positioning caught multiple units and did massive damage...

Im learning from you, because when I'm able to start playing again, I'd have already seen what's worked and not worked from yourself. So for this i thank you sir!

I've never seen the appeal of any of the weapons platforms though I must say. If I was to choose one, it would be the same as you the vibrio. But Its basically a random firing autocannon, that's not survivable at all. It is cheap though.

Oops, sorry on the type o... I meant Wraithlord with dual EML. (too many Wraith units. ;) )

I'm trying to figure out how much of this is my fault. Keep in mind I do play in a pretty hard meta. Orks are incredibly good right now, Dark Eldar, GSC, Tau, etc.... top competitive armies with pretty strong builds is what I have to face weekly.

So I don't have a lot of wiggle room. I have to kind of hit the ground running. That's why I've done so much research.

The Wraith list sounds attractive with the point reductions but this might be just me but I feel like it stinks of 7th ed rules. Just the damage output of a lot of units in 40K is just tremendous... double shooting, wacky powers, etc. Wraith units are paying through the teeth for a survivability factor that is far less usable in today's 2 turn style of games.

The thing is if I am going to field 2 wraith infantry squads, a Wraithknight, and a Wraithlord, then I don't have a heck of a lot of points for anything else once we get past the mandatory Psychic support layer of the army.

That makes my opponents' target priority really easy.

I take a single Knight (with two Armigers) in  my Admech. But my opponents often look at my Preceptor Knight and think... 'Hmmm, that Knight is really random (RNG on the main gun is bad).' Then they look at my 3 Skorpius', Transports with gobs of capable damage. 2 Helverins which can peel apart flyers, etc.... there's TOUGH choices there. 

On the Vibro cannons.... I have trouble doing damage at 36" or more. Especially on vehicles and the Wraithfighter is doing most of that work. So the Vibro's which I have found are incredibly lethargic help to pitch in on damaged units.

I think in 5-9 units they get better and better. They are dirt cheap though. It's really a decent performer at its point cost imo. It's a low end unit, costing low end points.

I'm trying not to throw in the towel on the Eldar, but what I'm doing, or the way I'm doing it clearly isn't working. Forget facing against  NuMarines with these guys. I think that would be a disaster. But top end competitive lists are giving me tremendous problems as is.

I can remove some elements of the low damage Wraith units, but which ones? Where do I get damage from? 

For now I will keep some of it in, pull some out, and try to bring in some Crimson Hunters (?) or other damage dealers. I'm feeling I have to get Wave Serpents and Dark Reapers in for a start. I just have terrible damage at range against vehicle heavy armies, and poor anti-horde for sure.

What my list specializes in right now is taking on low model count, elite armies (like my own.) Right now there aren't a lot of those doing well in Tournaments unless you count Iron Hands which is a completely crazy animal that won't be going anywhere soon.

Ok so If you want to use your list as it is, here are my suggestions. 

I would go Custom Craftworld Expert Crafters and Hungry for battle.

Deepstrike the Axe Wraith, and run the Guard in the serpent (with vectored engines.) Alternatively swap the D-Scythes for WraithCannons and deep strike that unit, with the Axes in the serpent. I don't think the Scythes will work foot slogging as their range is too short. Either way they are a good backfield threat that your opponent has to screen against or suffer getting a hammer in their rear.  

Additionally I would give either the Farseer or the Hemlock Ghostwalk, to get those Axes +3 on the charge.

The overall game plan is to ram the fortuned Knight and -1 to hit Serpent into their face, and make them shoot at one of these undesirable targets. What survives can hopefully along with the deep strike unit triple the enemy enough that your shooting elements can clean up what is left.

In the alternative, I think this similar list could be a good option for you. 

++ Battalion Detachment and Spearhead +5CP 

Craftworld Attribute: *Custom Craftworld* Expert Crafters and Something Else, maybe wrath of the dead or masters of concealment 

+ HQ +

Autarch Skyrunner [6 PL, 105pts]: 2: An Eye on Distant Events, Craftworlds Warlord, Laser Lance, Twin Shuriken Catapult

Farseer Skyrunner [7 PL, 132pts]: 0. Smite, 2. Doom, 3. Fortune, Shuriken Pistol, Twin Shuriken Catapult, Witchblade

Warlock Skyrunner [4 PL, 62pts]: Ghost Walk/Focus Will, 4. Protect/Jinx, Shuriken Pistol, Twin Shuriken Catapult, Witchblade

+ Troops +

Guardian Defenders [9 PL, 190pts]: 20x Guardian Defender
. Guardian Heavy Weapons Platform: Shuriken Cannon
. Guardian Heavy Weapons Platform: Shuriken Cannon

Rangers [3 PL, 60pts]: 5x Ranger

+ Elites +

Wraithblades [10 PL, 175pts]: Ghostaxe and Forceshield, 5x Wraithblade

+ Heavy Support +

Support Weapons [3 PL, 35pts]
. Support Weapon: Vibro Cannon

Wraithlord [8 PL, 120pts]: 2x Aeldari Missile Launcher, Shuriken Catapult, Shuriken Catapult

Wraithlord [8 PL, 120pts]: 2x Aeldari Missile Launcher, Shuriken Catapult, Shuriken Catapult

+ Flyer +

Hemlock Wraithfighter [10 PL, 210pts]: 0. Smite, 4. Protect/Jinx, Spirit Stones

+ Dedicated Transport +

Wave Serpent [9 PL, 159pts]: Spirit Stones, Twin Shuriken Cannon, Twin Shuriken Catapult, Vectored Engines

++ Aux Heavy Support (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [27 PL, 380pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Craftworld Attribute: None (Mixed Detachment)

+ Lord of War +

Wraithknight [27 PL, 380pts]: Scatter Laser, Starcannon, Suncannon and Scattershield

++ Total: [121 PL, 1,998pts] ++

This list has more long ranged fire from the Wraithlords, while still having the option of driving a Serpent with Wraiths and WK into the enemy, or using them to counterattack.  The 20 Guardians coming out of deep strike, can help you clear hordes. The three wraith lords can help to clear our enemy deep strikers that get into your backline.  

Edited by sultansean

Thanks Sultansean. I like that list.

I actually just got back from picking up a Crimson Hunter model. I just assembled it, and wanted to get it together and ready to field in my next game.

So maybe a mistake, as I really like your list. I did spend a ton of time painting the Wraithfighter and it is technically a Wraith unit so benefits from my Wrath of the Dead stuff.

Here's the interim list I've come up with:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [71 PL, 1,309pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Craftworld Attribute
. *Custom Craftworld*: Expert Crafters, Wrath of the Dead

The Path of War

+ HQ +

Autarch Skyrunner [6 PL, 105pts]: 4: Fate's Messenger, Craftworlds Warlord, Laser Lance, Twin Shuriken Catapult
. Shimmerplume of Achillrial

Farseer Skyrunner [7 PL, 137pts]: 0. Smite, 2. Doom, 3. Fortune, Shuriken Pistol, Singing Spear, Twin Shuriken Catapult

Spiritseer [3 PL, 55pts]: 5. Focus Will, 5. Quicken/Restrain, Shuriken Pistol

Warlock Skyrunner [4 PL, 62pts]: 3. Ghostwalk, 4. Protect/Jinx, Shuriken Pistol, Twin Shuriken Catapult, Witchblade

+ Troops +

Dire Avengers [6 PL, 80pts]
. 6x Dire Avenger: 6x Avenger Shuriken Catapult
. Dire Avenger Exarch: Two Avenger Shuriken Catapults
. . Exarch Power: Battle Fortune, Bladestorm

+ Elites +

Wraithblades [20 PL, 350pts]: Ghostaxe and Forceshield, 10x Wraithblade

+ Flyer +

Crimson Hunter Exarch [9 PL, 190pts]: Two Bright Lances
. Exarch Power: Marksman's Eye

Hemlock Wraithfighter [10 PL, 210pts]: 6. Impair Senses, Spirit Stones

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [25 PL, 345pts] ++

+ Heavy Support +

Support Weapons [9 PL, 105pts]

++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [27 PL, 344pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Craftworld Attribute
. *Custom Craftworld*: Expert Crafters, Masters of Concealment

+ Lord of War +

Wraithknight [27 PL, 344pts]: Scatter Laser, Scatter Laser, Titanic Ghostglaive and Scattershield

++ Total: [123 PL, 1,998pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Nice! I know the CHE was being spammed for a while, but it is such a beautiful model I don't think you should feel bad about playing it.

I think your list looks good. 

Impair Senses and Jinx? on the Hemlock? How helpful do you find Impair senses?

CHE, should take Hawkeye exarch power over Marksman's eye, or the 5++.   

Yes, I haven’t thought about the Exarchs abilities... I guess move and shoot without penalty?  ( don’t know the name). 

impair senses is my secret sauce in the Wraithfighter. I swoop by Rellic Shokk attack guns and basilisks etc, and force them to shoot at the flyer. I really think it’s under the radar right now but it saves my Wraithknight. 

I think while I’m playing all these wraith units I have to play some mean units that take the attention away. 

Your list might be better. I love what the EML Wraithlord was doing. But I have to get the flyers in there. 

I have two more games lined up and I’m going to try to stick to the same list even if it goes horribly wrong. 

I really appreciate the advice. 

Edited by Prot

Sorry, a lot of type o’s in that last post of mine.

Anyway I have 2 games lined up I will try with that list. I do wish I could fit a second Farseer Sunrunner in that list but the model count us already really low.

I’ll try to do an update after the games. Not sure there’s many other tweaks I can make other than getting rid of the WK all together. So these 2 games I’ll try hard to evaluate.

I do wish I could fit a second Farseer Sunrunner in that list but the model count us already really low.

I’ll try to do an update after the games. Not sure there’s many other tweaks I can make other than getting rid of the WK all together. So these 2 games I’ll try hard to evaluate.

How about dropping the Wraithblades down to 7 (doesn't give up gang busters in ITC) the Dire Avengers down to 5, and swap Bright lances for Starcannon son the CHE, that should get you enough for an extra Farseer. You could then also run the Wraithknight in a supreme Command, not that it changes much. 

But that doesn't put you in a good spot for ITC secondaries. BGH is the only easy choice. Otherwise they are left with Headhunter, which they are only going to get if you are already tabled. 

You could also spread your support platforms into 3 individual units, so it for sure doesn't give up a Marked for death. (Not sure what the actual ruling on that is for ITC)

I think 7 might be pushing it... ? Especially on foot. I anticipate losing 2-3 just getting to the action. Especially since a lot of events take place on planet bowling bowl. (On the artillery I think once they deploy they count as separate units anyway?)

I'll definitely experiment. The only tweak I have for the list right now is a variant where I reduce the Avengers to 6, and get rid of the Platforms for a vanilla Falcon (which would carry Avengers and lower my drop count.) Plus if it blows up and I lose an Avenger, the Exarch power will kick in for +1 to hit and wound.

For now I'll try it as is. It's a weird army for me still. It's changeed a lot in some ways, and stayed the same from when I played them many years ago.

I find it frustrating as I try to stay away from super popular units. For example with Chaos Space marines (which haven't been in a great spot for a long time, especially Black Legion. But I understand the best way to approach bad situations on the table top, understand good combo's and match ups.

So far I'm a little surprised to admit I'm still not doing very well with these guys in my meta.

Also as a side note, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong but I just put together 3 of the artillery units. Wow what a nightmare. The 'pilot' on the chair with the joystick just doesn't really fit for me. I had to do some pretty ugly adjustments. I can't figure out what I did wrong, but I'm really not happy with how ugly it looks, but I did start painting it anyway. Has anyone else done these models?

Okay guys, I had 2378 games of 40K over the Christmas break. (Okay more like 12)

I did a giant post that blends the last two games I had into 2 mini batreps. There are some pictures, but this blog post basically summarizes the entirety of my experiences thus far with the largely wraith themed Eldar in what I consider a fairly competitive environment over the last few months.

There's a bit of everything in here. New pics, batreps, analysis and some summaries. If you're interested in that sort of thing, here it is:

Prot's Blog-dar post: https://prot40k.blog/2019/12/31/eldar-craftworlds-do-wraith-units-work-10-game-competitive-summary-over-the-christmas-break/

Ancient toasters from Hell -guffaw- love it! Look forward to reading this when I get some time Prot. I have some Wraithguard to assemble soon and have been contemplating axes and shields too. May pick your brains later about them!

BCC

Just finished reading the post. Great job with it btw! You stated earlier that there are two elements you feel a Wraith heavy army is lacking. Anti-tank and Anti-horde.

I feel that Eldar are full of specialist units and that trying to build a themed list around one element of the army is what really makes it difficult. Adding in the unit of Dire Avengers are a solid choice, have you thought of running three units of DAs and taking out the snipers? Also something else to consider is maybe making anti-horde the focus of the list. Shuriken spam with support seems like it could be very very strong. 

With all the games you've played recently are you still aiming to run the wraiths in the summer? +1 to wound is strong but has it actually swung games in your favor? 

Really wish I had more experience with Eldar to help you make decent decisions here but I mainly just have more questions lol! Regardless of my waffling-on I want to thank you for sharing your experiences!

Your army is looking gorgeous and you won both games! 

Have your tried deepstriking the Wraithblades yet with Ghostwalk?

Also have to be careful with forewarned that your Wraithknight is the same craftworld as your farseer. Not sure how you are running them lately.  

Thank you very much guys. I appreciate any and all feedback. There’s only one competitive Eldar player here and everyone I know who plays competitively doesn’t touch Eldar otherwise. ( which is partially what attracted me). 

as far as Forewarned... I actually asked this a while ago and got no response. So how do I declare the super heavy and the HQ are of the same craftworld? They are in different detachments. I use a DIY craftworld. Do the traits just have to be identical?

as far as going forward with Wraith units I’m finding it very difficult. I am pulling the Knight after a good ten or so games with him. I plan on trying the Wraithblade still on foot. I want to try what you guys are suggesting by adding perhaps more troops...even a dual battalion? But I am adding my two flyers back and aside from 1 squad of wraiths there won’t be any others for now. I need points for more bodies. I’d even like to try cheap banshees tying up something while Wraithblades close in. 

The War Walkers are a unit I've seen be quite devastating for clearing infantry or gearing them for dealing with vehicles. I mainly saw them used with the Shuriken Cannons though. Something that might be worth considering though. Not sure on their point costs.