Prot's Awakening. A tale of my Eldar Folly.

Prot

Some Wips of 5 new Axe Wraiths. Not sure hot to get 8-10 into the list... lol

med_gallery_2760_15992_144534.jpg

Post Varnish and Post inkwash (Cholea Greenshade) But Pre Hihglights on the armour:

med_gallery_2760_15992_122875.jpg

Finished touch ups on my Yncarne. I'm calling her done. (Yvraine sure is tempting. I love that scuplt. I own it but haven't touched it yet.)

med_gallery_2760_15992_122650.jpg

Just wanted to do some better transitions on the energy flowing around her:

med_gallery_2760_15992_53642.jpg

The Game was postponed, unfortunately. However I did get one game in with my White Scars but I promise the next will be with my funky eldar experiment.

This does give me time to paint some more though and tweak the list.

Yncarne is looking really good!

Can you bring yourself to only run 7 wraiths with axes? Then they don't give up max gangbusters, but still have good board presences. 

it looks like you have a lot of what you need to run a competitive expert crafters masterful shots list, like what Colin Sherman on the Best of Faction podcast has ran. 

Nice little battle report and your army is looking gorgeous! Have you read Ghost Warrior the first Ynnari novel? It has some very cool elder vs. GSC action. 

Edited by sultansean

Yncarne is looking really good!

Can you bring yourself to only run 7 wraiths with axes? Then they don't give up max gangbusters, but still have good board presences. 

it looks like you have a lot of what you need to run a competitive expert crafters masterful shots list, like what Colin Sherman on the Best of Faction podcast has ran. 

Nice little battle report and your army is looking gorgeous! Have you read Ghost Warrior the first Ynnari novel? It has some very cool elder vs. GSC action. 

I am pretty familiar with Colin Sherman’s stuff but I do know he loves air wings. 

why do you say ‘bring myself to only run 7’?  ( is that just a gangbusters reference?) So far in my lists I used to run 5 on foot and then 5 shoots wraiths in deep strike, then I realized how much better 5 axe wraiths are in a serpent. It’s just very recently I started painting up 5 more so I’d like to try running more....just not sure if that’s 1. A good idea and 2. A very plausible tactic with them in Ynnari which has them losing all the important Craftworlds buffs. :)

thanks a lot for the compliment. And no I haven’t read that novel. I’ll definitely look for it. 

Yeah with the 7 wraith blades I'm thinking just avoiding an easy gangbusters for the opponent.

I don't think the wraith blades are as good as Ynnari, they really want protect to get the 3++ and fortune helps as well on them. To my mind they are better as a durable roadblock than a combat hammer, which Ynnari makes them. Not saying you won't have success as Ynnari I just don't think it's quite as good.

What do you think about the following list? A gun line with a couple countercharge elements and deep striking rangers for behind enemy lines.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [137 PL, 1,999pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Craftworld Attribute: None (Mixed Detachment)

+ HQ +

Farseer Skyrunner [7 PL, 132pts]: 0. Smite, Shuriken Pistol, Twin Shuriken Catapult, Witchblade

Spiritseer [3 PL, 55pts]: 0. Smite, Shuriken Pistol

Warlock Skyrunner [4 PL, 62pts]: 0. Smite, Shuriken Pistol, Twin Shuriken Catapult, Witchblade

+ Troops +

Rangers [3 PL, 60pts]

. 5x Ranger: 5x Ranger Long Rifle, 5x Shuriken Pistol

Rangers [3 PL, 60pts]

Rangers [3 PL, 60pts]

+ Elites +

Wraithblades [20 PL, 245pts]: Ghostaxe and Forceshield, 7x Wraithblade

+ Fast Attack +

Shining Spears [10 PL, 182pts]

. 5x Shining Spear: 5x Laser Lance, 5x Twin Shuriken Catapult

. Shining Spear Exarch: Star Lance, Twin Shuriken Catapult

. . Exarch Power: Expert Hunter

+ Heavy Support +

Falcon [9 PL, 115pts]: Starcannon, Twin Shuriken Catapult

Falcon [9 PL, 122pts]: Aeldari Missile Launcher, Twin Shuriken Catapult

Night Spinner [8 PL, 112pts]: Twin Shuriken Catapult

Support Weapons [9 PL, 105pts]

. Support Weapon: Vibro Cannon

Wraithlord [8 PL, 120pts]: 2x Aeldari Missile Launcher, Shuriken Catapult, Shuriken Catapult

Wraithlord [8 PL, 120pts]: 2x Aeldari Missile Launcher, Shuriken Catapult, Shuriken Catapult

++ Total: [137 PL, 1,999pts] ++

Edited by sultansean

You want to run a non battleforged army? 10 heavy support choices?

Good point. But I still like the premise so I'm going to try to  fit in what I can with Vanguard detachments.

So this is what I came up with, and I'll explain some choices later:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [67 PL, 974pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Craftworld Attribute
. *Custom Craftworld*: Expert Crafters, Masterful Shots

+ HQ +

Farseer Skyrunner [7 PL, 137pts]: 0. Smite, 2. Doom, 4. Executioner, Shuriken Pistol, Singing Spear, Twin Shuriken Catapult

Warlock Skyrunner [4 PL, 67pts]: 5. Focus Will, Shuriken Pistol, Singing Spear, Twin Shuriken Catapult

+ Troops +

Dire Avengers [6 PL, 69pts]
. 5x Dire Avenger: 5x Avenger Shuriken Catapult, 5x Plasma Grenades
. Dire Avenger Exarch: Two Avenger Shuriken Catapults
. . Exarch Power: Bladestorm

Rangers [3 PL, 60pts]

Rangers [3 PL, 60pts]

+ Elites +

+ Heavy Support +

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [36 PL, 510pts] ++

+ Configuration +

+ HQ +

Spiritseer [3 PL, 55pts]: 0. Smite, 4. Protect/Jinx, Shuriken Pistol

+ Fast Attack +

Shining Spears [10 PL, 180pts]
. Shining Spear Exarch: Laser Lance, Twin Shuriken Catapult
. . Exarch Power: Skilled Rider

+ Heavy Support +

Support Weapons [6 PL, 70pts]

Wraithlord [8 PL, 100pts]: Aeldari Missile Launcher, Shuriken Catapult, Shuriken Catapult

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [31 PL, 497pts] ++

+ HQ +

Farseer [6 PL, 110pts]: 1. Guide, 3. Fortune, 5. Focus Will, Shuriken Pistol, Witchblade

+ Heavy Support +

Dark Reapers [7 PL, 153pts]
. 4x Dark Reaper: 4x Reaper Launcher
. Dark Reaper Exarch: Aeldari Missile Launcher
. . Exarch Power: Rapid Shot

Falcon [9 PL, 117pts]: Crystal Targeting Matrix, Shuriken Cannon, Twin Shuriken Catapult

Falcon [9 PL, 117pts]: Crystal Targeting Matrix, Shuriken Cannon, Twin Shuriken Catapult

++ Total: [134 PL, 1,981pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. I have 1 Falcon built. One in a box. So this makes sense to use 2 because a) the Reapers have a hit and fade place to hide every turn in one falcon, and don't have to start on the table in fear of Thunderfire Cannons. The second Falcon -might- be good enough making 6 Dire Avengers worthwhile? I own the Dire avengers, they never do anything for me... just trying to figure them out.

2. I have every Vibro Cannon I own in the list: 5. (Would these not be horrible for Gangbusters as well or is that only infantry? In any case I believe all these little Vibro's will give up far too much in "Kill More". Do you guys agree ? Or does their benefit out weight their down side? (To be honest we only play ITC when gearing up for a tournament.))

3. Extra Farseer. I think their powers are so key. So if I have 7 Wrathblades on foot, I think it makes sense to have a Farseer walking with a Spiritseer giving Fortune/Guide and or Ghostwalk and/or Protect.

4. The three Night Spinners need protection and this list doesn't even have an Autarch so I figure the single Wraithlord will at least deter fly by killings, but at the same time I anticipate somewhat claiming middle of the table with the Wraithblades so I don't want to handicap my board coverage by saying, "Wraiths must stay back".

So bad news is: No Flyers, But even though I love mine, I don't really think I'll miss them. 

I have extra points. No idea what to do with them so I just plopped Crystals on the Falcons? I still have 9 left.

What do you guys think?

Okay, thanks for the heads up. Now that I read your comment, it does ring a bell.

However, I suppose if going first I can start on the table, shoot, Hit and Fade into the Falcon and alternate that throughout the game or I'm dead... whichever comes first. :)

Today I'm working on some White Scars and Thousand Sons, so I hope to have these Wraiths finished by my next game.

That looks much better and will be fun to run. Check out the custom craftworld stuff, there are a few that will help your big stuff. Let us know how it plays, if we ever get to play again. Sorry, being couped up is getting to me.

Actually I'm down on my game count, but still getting in a minimum of one a week, sometimes two. But I'll let you know.

They're amazing Prot. Been following your progress and general musings into the aeldari faction for a while. Cant offer any advice on gaming as I think it was the late 90s when I last played. What I will say is that you have some amazingly painted miniatures there! I'm glad you are persisting with them.

Thank you very much. I appreciate you coming out of the woodwork and commenting!

Eldar are really weird as an army. They can be competitive in a very narrow scope, but if you deviate from that scope, the army gets watered down very, very quickly.

Also the other side of the conversation is soup or no soup. Since I don't really like Dark Eldar, that almost removes my ability to play Airforce Eldar (even if I wanted to). The Dark Eldar really help the dual battalion lists with tremendous firepower coming from cheap troops in their little skimmers.

So if you're me and you like certain units, it really hurts if they fall outside that scope. I've given up on some ideas: Banshees, (although the new ones look fantastic), and a lot of other aspects.

What seems to work is very risky, monochromatic lists if playing pure craftworlds. I'm not one to field 20+ Shinning Spears, or a 10 man Farseer Conclave. I like certain models and that's been my downfall! 

So if you're me and you like certain units, it really hurts if they fall outside that scope. I've given up on some ideas: Banshees, (although the new ones look fantastic), and a lot of other aspects.

What seems to work is very risky, monochromatic lists if playing pure craftworlds. I'm not one to field 20+ Shinning Spears, or a 10 man Farseer Conclave. I like certain models and that's been my downfall! 

I understand this completely. I'm the same. Never have fielded my Eldar and DE together even tho I've been tempted but again it's like plaid and strips, they don't go together.

It was a battalion and a spearhead. But you’re right I was one heavy support over.

I like this list you have built. But I don’t think you can fire and fade into the falcon. There was a faq about a unit not being able to disembark and embark in the same turn.

Actually I have to correct myself. I found a reference to this last night. It is in a main rule book faq. Apparently you cannot get into a transport in any phase other than the movement phase unless it is specifically noted by the rule in question. 

• 2 weeks later...

You want to run a non battleforged army? 10 heavy support choices?

Good point. But I still like the premise so I'm going to try to  fit in what I can with Vanguard detachments.

So this is what I came up with, and I'll explain some choices later:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [67 PL, 974pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Craftworld Attribute
. *Custom Craftworld*: Expert Crafters, Masterful Shots

+ HQ +

Farseer Skyrunner [7 PL, 137pts]: 0. Smite, 2. Doom, 4. Executioner, Shuriken Pistol, Singing Spear, Twin Shuriken Catapult

Warlock Skyrunner [4 PL, 67pts]: 5. Focus Will, Shuriken Pistol, Singing Spear, Twin Shuriken Catapult

+ Troops +

Dire Avengers [6 PL, 69pts]
. 5x Dire Avenger: 5x Avenger Shuriken Catapult, 5x Plasma Grenades
. Dire Avenger Exarch: Two Avenger Shuriken Catapults
. . Exarch Power: Bladestorm

Rangers [3 PL, 60pts]

Rangers [3 PL, 60pts]

+ Elites +

+ Heavy Support +

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [36 PL, 510pts] ++

+ Configuration +

+ HQ +

Spiritseer [3 PL, 55pts]: 0. Smite, 4. Protect/Jinx, Shuriken Pistol

+ Fast Attack +

Shining Spears [10 PL, 180pts]
. Shining Spear Exarch: Laser Lance, Twin Shuriken Catapult
. . Exarch Power: Skilled Rider

+ Heavy Support +

Support Weapons [6 PL, 70pts]

Wraithlord [8 PL, 100pts]: Aeldari Missile Launcher, Shuriken Catapult, Shuriken Catapult

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [31 PL, 497pts] ++

+ HQ +

Farseer [6 PL, 110pts]: 1. Guide, 3. Fortune, 5. Focus Will, Shuriken Pistol, Witchblade

+ Heavy Support +

Dark Reapers [7 PL, 153pts]
. 4x Dark Reaper: 4x Reaper Launcher
. Dark Reaper Exarch: Aeldari Missile Launcher
. . Exarch Power: Rapid Shot

++ Total: [134 PL, 1,981pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. I have 1 Falcon built. One in a box. So this makes sense to use 2 because a) the Reapers have a hit and fade place to hide every turn in one falcon, and don't have to start on the table in fear of Thunderfire Cannons. The second Falcon -might- be good enough making 6 Dire Avengers worthwhile? I own the Dire avengers, they never do anything for me... just trying to figure them out.

2. I have every Vibro Cannon I own in the list: 5. (Would these not be horrible for Gangbusters as well or is that only infantry? In any case I believe all these little Vibro's will give up far too much in "Kill More". Do you guys agree ? Or does their benefit out weight their down side? (To be honest we only play ITC when gearing up for a tournament.))

3. Extra Farseer. I think their powers are so key. So if I have 7 Wrathblades on foot, I think it makes sense to have a Farseer walking with a Spiritseer giving Fortune/Guide and or Ghostwalk and/or Protect.

4. The three Night Spinners need protection and this list doesn't even have an Autarch so I figure the single Wraithlord will at least deter fly by killings, but at the same time I anticipate somewhat claiming middle of the table with the Wraithblades so I don't want to handicap my board coverage by saying, "Wraiths must stay back".

So bad news is: No Flyers, But even though I love mine, I don't really think I'll miss them. 

I have extra points. No idea what to do with them so I just plopped Crystals on the Falcons? I still have 9 left.

What do you guys think?

So quick update. I played this list and anticipated a very tough game against the new heinous Tau. 

the Tau list used dual Riptides and a 6 man battle suit squad with some sort of relic gun that shot 12 shots per model at AP1 S5. One of the riptides had another relic gun so it shot six times at S9 I think....maybe more, and this thing was nasty. It was AP -4 and did 3damage + D3 each. With Reroll auras and Reroll to wound of ones, this thing really doesn’t miss. 

somehow I came out on top. The seven man wraith squad was a rock. No mater what he tried to throw at them, including his melta Battlesuits, a Riptide, etc... they tanked it. 

I don’t know what to think of my list. This was definitely a hard test but it felt like I shouldn’t have won. :)

Good game it sounds. It's just as tough against admech, grrr. Aura and rodots, just so difficult, I know what you mean. The eldar are fighting to stay in the race but I think we'll weather the storm. It seems GW is trying to balance things with all these new supplements.

Save that list. Maybe tweak it a bit but try it again.

BTW, how'd the night spinners do?

Edited by Dread

Good game it sounds. It's just as tough against admech, grrr. Aura and rodots, just so difficult, I know what you mean. The eldar are fighting to stay in the race but I think we'll weather the storm. It seems GW is trying to balance things with all these new supplements.

Save that list. Maybe tweak it a bit but try it again.

BTW, how'd the night spinners do?

You know I'd rather face admech, because I feel like I can damage them. We play with a fair amount of terrain and those Admech Dakkabots are in rough in any ITC event because they just see so little. The Riptides were so damaging I could not believe it. 6 Battlesuits with 72 shots that can come out of deepstrike is really harder to counter than Dakkabots imho.

Anyway, it's funny you ask about the Spinners! I think they were the heroes... indirectly speaking! (Pun intended) But the more I think about it... it's so crazy to say this but the footslogging guys... the Wraithblades probably did it.

I mean when those two battlesuit squads came down, and the Ghost keel and I got hit with 72 shots, + 5-6 Fusion, etc... and I lost 2.5 Wraith models... that was HUGE. (I also had 5 marker lights on me thanks to that new Stratagem.)

Here's some pictures:

gallery_2760_15992_124150.jpg

+ Perhaps the unsung heroes. Seriously the three spinners, plus the 5 Reapers were particularly good in this game. Spinners gave me the ONLY reach I had on all those drones. And the Reapers were able to hit stealth drones, and the stealsuits, and the Ghost Keel without the minus'.

gallery_2760_15992_6146.jpg

- It's towards the end of the game. The last of the damaged Wraith units make it this far. The one Riptide finally died, and the other pulled back with Shadowsun and the remaining Battlesuit squad.

These guys would push the Tau back far enough to prevent them from scoring and provide the board control I needed to protect the Spinners/Reapers and win the game by a narrow margin!

gallery_2760_15992_8243.jpg

Just a shot of my Skyrunner HQ's. I think I'll call them done.

gallery_2760_15992_105479.jpg

Another shot of them.

I think I'll try to keep this list together before tweaking it. It might sit in a tight balance of Close Combat, and shooting that works. That Tau army was incredibly hard hitting so I feel like the win was a good one, and no goofy luck took place. I mean perhaps the Wraiths lived through too much.... hard to say.. .man they took a beating though but had Protect, and Fortune on them to great effect.

Thanks for checking it out.

Thank you very much.

Well the last list experiment has been oddly... and perhaps purely by luck to be successful. 

It's just flexible enough that you can have fun with almost any opponent. It may lack the pure focus that an extremely focused list would offer, but the price for that is pure boredom for me. (There's more to the game than winning... for me anyway.)

I miss my painted flyers. But I can't have it all. 

I'm still on the fence about the 6 Shining Spears however they do provide an important role considering the shooting base of the list has to be offset with some speed that can do some damage in the opponent's zone.

So far this list has managed to win against Death Guard, Tau (barely), and Blood Angels.

The one little surprise I've had is the Falcons. People really don't like shooting at them as their only 'offensive' value has been the Pulse Laser. They offer more than that with good movement, and limited transport capacity, but they did surprise me because they tend to hang around a while.

So at this point I've put two together, and magnetized some bases, and I think that's my next Eldar project!

• 2 weeks later...

Yncarne is looking good! Have you started planning anything for a Ynnari army?

I have only just started collecting Eldar and wanted to build a Ynnari army but howling banshees don't really cut the mustard for me so a bit lost on the close combat element of my potential army, any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Well as much as I'd love a "Ynnari" army, right now with their rules it feels like only a few certain units really fit into it.

So to me that's mostly assault units. I'm working on Yvraine (psychic support) and the Yncarne as HQ's to various builds of smaller detachments to compliment my Craftworlds. Those detachments are mostly built around Banshees, Wraiths, and even Shining Spears. 

Your work is amazing. I bookmarked your blog too. My paint is on the way, and tomorrow I can order my magnifying lamp- my eyes are terrible, and I think I need one of these.

We've shared thoughts on Ynarri in other threads, but if you're looking at small detachments as homes for those Ynarri HQ, have you considered Incubi, or any DE elements? I only mention it because they are one of those units that fits Ynnari really well. As mercenaries, they have no obsession to lose be becoming Ynnari, and there is even a strat that grants them strength from death. On top of that, they're pretty hard in close combat if you can get them there.

Banshees, as you point out, are another really good fit.

Great work man!

Thanks for the kind words. As far as DE units... I'm sure you're right, and I'm sure you have some good unit thoughts, but I just won't touch DE. Lol.

I have a common opponent that always plays them and I think that's where I got my disdain for them. Also in tournaments I often found DE to be my kryptonite. But by all means, it sounds like a good angle to take.

How would you rate ghost axe wraithblades vs ghost swords? IMO the extra strength of the axes are very nice but the -1 to hit negates the bonus of the extra strength. The swords have an extra attack and no negative modifier to hit. While you do get the 4++ invulnerable save with the axe load out, I expect wraith blades to get shot off the board soon after they appear anyway. 

So I'm kinda up in the air on how to load out these guys, any thoughts?