Prot's Awakening. A tale of my Eldar Folly.

Prot

There is no doubt that that axes are brutal and the d3 damage is very nice, on too many occasions I roll a 1 or 2 on them for 1 damage on other Dd3 weapons. For me the variable wound output at a negative to hit isn't worth the extra 50pts (off the top of my head so may be wrong) for a unit of 5. Having said that I haven't used wraithblades and experience on the tabletop trumps theorising using the data sheets 

Those axe wraiths are killer!

Ive been tempted to jump back into Eldar after being a heavy 2E player & painter, and this unit is one of the reasons. Seeing them painted this well is even more inspiring

I think those Wraith models overall are the reason I got back into Eldar. (The last time I played Eldar the Wraiths were metal. lol) Thanks for the compliment.

There is no doubt that that axes are brutal and the d3 damage is very nice, on too many occasions I roll a 1 or 2 on them for 1 damage on other Dd3 weapons. For me the variable wound output at a negative to hit isn't worth the extra 50pts (off the top of my head so may be wrong) for a unit of 5. Having said that I haven't used wraithblades and experience on the tabletop trumps theorising using the data sheets 

I think you might be missing the point reduction from a Chapter Approved in there.

I would argue the game has become so fantastically destructive since Psychic Awakening started that it's incredibly hard to get into close combat with Wraiths now. I was using a Serpent, but wow your model count starts to shrink fast. On foot, or on a transport, I find the Shields + Protect are vital.

Missing with the axes is silly. And yea the D3 would be so much better as Damage 2, but I believe this is why they put the costs down. That being said new craftworld abilities, and new abilities to increase number of attacks does help level out those issues. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Let me start by saying you're colour scheme, and entire army look superb. I'm not smert enuff to think of more adjectives that adequately describe the beauty of your models.

Now that I've said that, I want to nit pick and point out the 2 gems on the crown/neck arch, at the back of the helmet... did you not intend to do those to the level of the ones on his/her back around the cloak?

I've also ran out of likes, so I'll be back tomorrow to like the rest of the pics!

Edited by Reskin

Let me start by saying you're colour scheme, and entire army look superb. I'm not smert enuff to think of more adjectives that adequately describe the beauty of your models.

Now that I've said that, I want to nit pick and point out the 2 gems on the crown/neck arch, at the back of the helmet... did you not intend to do those to the level of the ones on his/her back around the cloak?

I've also ran out of likes, so I'll be back tomorrow to like the rest of the pics!

Thanks for the comment! To answer your question: At first the top 'bumps' on the rear crown were getting the gemstone treatment, but it didn't look good to me with the purple of the crown lightning to 'pinkish' hues. So I just left them as a non- distraction. So no, they aren't painted as gemstones.

This kicks assssss!

Did you mask off and airbrush the cloak? Or was it hydro dipped?

I just used a basic painters tape to start the design. There are quite a few different techniques applied to this, including airbrush, freehand, tape, and home made glazes for different 'cluster' colours. (Probably very hard to see in that bright picture).

stunning work

Thanks very much!

You could do them like the blue gems you have though?

I tried it, but those 'bumps' don't have a true edge (like the other ones edged in gold), and I soon realized it just didn't do well in a different colour.... it's a personal preference really. It's up to you if you paint one.... personally it looked too busy. There's a lot of colour on that figure. 

Yeah fair enough, you obviously know best, Its a fantastically painted mini, such a cool scheme. I just seen the bumps and wondered why is all.

You should submit that to GW man, get that in whitedwarf or something. Its spectacular!

Thanks guys. Right now I'm trying to make a new list that is playable using some units I like.

At the dawn of 9th, and up until now, I've found the best performing unit in the codex to be the Wave Serpent. I call it my 'bumper cars' list. It's fantastically boring, and has me at about a 80% win rate. It is very successful because it's doing something Eldar don't do well inherently; get to an area of the board, and not die.

Although it's successful I had to stop using it. It was frustrating for opponents, as I would smash their lines with the Serpents, hold up tanks, try to contest objectives, score Engage, and try to get as much scoring done on my side of the table. (I really do miss Maelstrom the more I play 9th but that's another story.)

I would like to go back to some more interesting builds, but so far the become 'fun' lists and picked off pretty badly. We'll see. Right now I'm gluing together two War Walkers... not sure what to arm them with, and the weapons don't seem too friendly for magnets. Any thoughts?

Eldar lists are a bit of a weird one IMO, most units are sub-par or niche but the good units generally are obnoxious, Wave Serpents are number 1 on this list.

War Walkers are great, they're great as a standalone unit just to annoy/tie up units but also deal decent damage. I prefer Starcannons on them as although they're not as high strength or dmg, they've higher shot count so need less babysitting. For only 10 points a pair more than Shuriken Star Cannons really put the boot in against Marines.

Fire Prisms rock, basically have the Russ special rule of moving half and firing twice is very good if you've got Guide/Doom on them. The middle profile ruins most things and now the bottom profile has Blast it's very good vs orks etc.

I really rate Falcons too, more vehicles should get Pulse Lasers IMO. Falcons are very much of a sleeper hit for me a lot like Razorbacks.

I'm sure as you already know as you use them a lot but: Wriathblades with axe and shield are very difficult to shift especially when paired with Protect (2+, 3++)

Although I don't have a great track record with them, Banshees can have a place IMO, mainly for tying up or harrasing backfield units that really don't want to be in combat.

Thanks TC!

Yes you're right, I play Wraith unit heavy lists typically. I started doing this in 8th but as 9th rounded the corner they got better. But not because of power, or ability, but more so because of how they play the Primary role. I always use them now. I'm shocked how many 'internet famous', 'competitive' players don't use them, or don't use them correctly. 

But I'm a bit of a sucker for the Wraith units so I confess I use them to my detriment (even the WraithKnight! He is fun for the eldar version of Auspex scan though!)

Thanks for the direction on the Walkers. I will definitely try putting them in reserves with Starcannons, but out of curiousity have you been able to do a swappable weapon mount? I hesitate to glue them on.

On the Fire Prism I keep seeing them in batreps, and competitive lists, but it appears it's one of those three or nothing selections. Would you agree? I only own one.

In 8th I always used 2-3 Night Spinners. I really do like those, but only use 1 now due to the cost increase.  I could proxy them for Fire Prisms for a test.... 3 is hard to fit in my Wraith list though. 

For the war walkers. I actually hate the weapon mounts. I think it looks soooo much better using the wave serpent ones.

Not my work (mine are just primed and under tons of stuff in the attic)

https://images.app.goo.gl/RtaFEDJanPiqExcf9

But this person had the same idea.

Im also a huge fan of wraith heavy lists. Why i was sad to find out the wraithseer is no longer a HQ choice, used to love fielding it with 3 other wraithlords way back when.

Seems GW/FW are ruining all my Aeldari fun (after literally killing my corsairs)

Edited by Captain Coolpants

Great idea on the weapon mounts. I will have to visit how he did that. I would probably leave the weapons 'uncovered' so they were easier to swap out with various loadouts. 

I still love the sword n' board myself, and as soon as I deviate from that it gets ugly. I spent a ton of time painting my Ynncarne and really find it frustrating to get him in a game without throwing the whole list sideways (I understand he works better with Harlies, but I'm really trying to avoid the incredibly popular Harlie buillds.)

Magnetize the weapon shields as well, that is what I did.

Seriously? Do you have pictures of this? I don't know if I have the skill or type of magnets handy but for right now my 2 walkers are sitting on a shelf without any weapons mounts.