Purple Order (not the name)

Indefragable

Hi all,

Looking for details on any Adepta Sororitas (minor) Orders that have a purple color scheme.

I saw something about an Order of the Night Lily somewhere once, but can't seem to find it.

I play Blood Angels and Iron Warriors currently, used to play White Scars, Dark Angels, Inquisition, and Imperial Guard at various points as well so my interest in Sisters is actually decidedly hobby/paint-scheme first.

Google-Fu leads to some neat-o pics of silver-armor with purple robes SoB, and there are others that are white armor with purple robes. My issue is I think the black armor/red robes look is just way too damn striking, so I keep going back to black armor/purple robes, but I've painted more than another black armor that I want to stay away from that. Another thought was deep-dark violet armor where it's almost black-ish from certain angles with blue or purple robes on top. Hence the "Order of the Night Lily" thing.

Which Order to use for rules is a different story, but this is going to be a slow burn.

Edit: posted too soon, this is where I saw it: https://warhammer40kfanon.fandom.com/wiki/Lesser_Orders_Sororitas

...although my personal taste is typically darker armor with lighter secondary colors.

Edited by Indefragable

The Orders on that site appear to be fan-made... or as the site name puts it, fanon. I'm not sure if that matters to you, but personally I generally prefer canon Orders/armies. And if it were to be custom, something completely of my own making and not some other player's :)

The Orders on that site appear to be fan-made... or as the site name puts it, fanon. I'm not sure if that matters to you, but personally I generally prefer canon Orders/armies. And if it were to be custom, something completely of my own making and not some other player's :smile.:

I concur. Just looking to see what the Frater have for guidance/inspiration.

Studio Silvernale has some beautiful purple sisters - here is a picture of one of their tanks:  http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/355091-unorthodox-paint-schemes/?p=5326168 .

Purple and white sisters (Victoria Lamb's?) appeared in a couple White Dwarfs back in 3.5 to 4th edition - though, that army had the muzzles of the flamers and meltaguns painted white, which just looked weird to me.

And if you aren't set on the standard paint schemes, that thread in the link above is a good resource of different schemes of other B&C users.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

I personally don't like the name "night lily" - it has none of the gravitas and religious connotation to it that the Sororitas generally have. Purple is often a symbol of royalty, so a name honouring the Emperor's "majesty" or rule over mortals could be a starting point, as opposed to the spiritual aspects of the cult embodied by some of the other Orders?

A very deep purple could definitely look very nice for Sisters of Battle, though I'm not sure of blue or purple robes on top - I'd instead go for a brighter contrasting colour.

• Tyrian purple (a very dark, rich reddish purple) looks to work well in a split complimentary scheme with old gold and green (#66023c, #666302 and #0a6602 respectively)
  • Violet seems to work well with orange (nearly saffron) and bright yellow (#7f00ff, #ff8000, #ffff00)

obviously these are just suggestions. If you need an interactive colour wheel: https://www.sessions.edu/color-calculator/, and if you need a play around with the B&C's interactive Sororitas painter: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sisterp.php

good luck :tu:

Thanks for all the feedback, folks. Below is kinda sorta some of the ideas I have in mind (this is after like 5min of work, so very much sketch-book level of planning at this moment).

Hidden Content

A.
Dark purple armor, yellow robes

Link

B.
Dark purple armor, lighter purple robes

Link

C.
Dark purple armor, maroon robes

Link

Edited by Indefragable

Regarding the rule part, when the Sisters get their PA content, it might include a custom order trait system like what they did for the  Aeldari. If you want unique rules for your Order, you might actually get them. 

As for the colour part, I'm afraid I'm the last guy who should be giving painting advice.

Can't see your links either. Regarding colour ideas, I know I use dark purple armour on my girls though I contrast the other direction. I use a naggaroth night armour and then do the same for trhe cloaks and then put a black wash over the cloaks. Highlight with naggaroth again and blend up to xereux purple to make the ripples of the cloaks really pop.

Looks effective to me at least, but other thing I do is have the inside of the cloaks as a nice contrasting Baal red with a dark wash over to dull it down and then highlight.

Mayhaps you could consider red robes to contrast against your dark purple armour?

Thanks for all the feedback, folks. Below is kinda sorta some of the ideas I have in mind (this is after like 5min of work, so very much sketch-book level of planning at this moment).

Hidden Content

A.

Dark purple armor, yellow robes

Link

B.

Dark purple armor, lighter purple robes

Link

C.

Dark purple armor, maroon robes

Link

Those are supposed to be img links rather than url links.

A

Hidden Content

sister.php?bpe=FFFFFF&bpj=FFFFFF&bp=FFFF

B

Hidden Content

C

Hidden Content

Thanks for correcting those img links, Osteoclast :)

I would never go with option A, that image just... 1) looks silly hard to paint (oh, hello there yellow) and I think the yellow and purple are at odds with each other anyways.

B&C kind of meld together, and I don't like the graphical rendering on that neon purple, that hurts my defunct eyes on the screen :)  For that and that alone I am favoring the red (option C).  Plus, the wine red color could tie back to multiple other major orders (perhaps one that you're going to use their rules... think of it as homage to their roots), and it gives a bit of a nod to the fluff since red does appear a lot in their color schemes.

Huge thanks to @Osteoclast for fixing those.

And I appreciate the feedback. I think B would look better if it was mapped to actual paint ranges....I just spent 5min doing broad-strokes, concept-level ideas, so that bright purple is harsh on the eyes for sure.

I'll return when I've dug in a bit more and fleshed things out.

I also need to flesh out the coloring for all the ancillary bits (backpack, Inquisition symbol, pipes, etc...) but I find that a bit boring at times until I've dug in more.

Edited by Indefragable

Tried again, this time trying to map out precised #hex colors to the Citadel paint line. Comes out a bit more muted, and almost all of the gold/bronze/brass colors don't seem that distinguishable in the painter app...I think I want the aquila and fleurs to be a bit more on the yellow or orange spectrum of "gold" to pop a bit more.

Not sure how I feel about the white part of the helmet, though I like the idea of a piece like that popping just a bit.

I think the red-on-black with white edging looks freakin' amazing but for a variety of reasons I don't want to go that direction (partially b/c between Blood Angels, Dark Angels, 30k, and White Scars I've had enough of those colors in power armor). So I'm kinda trying to run the red-on-black-with-white through sort of a "violet-izer" so that the black becomes dark violet, and the red becomes a maroon or purple, etc... Hence why I am also torn on how much white (or blue) to include.

Anyways, another attempt to achieve kinda sorta what I'm aiming for.

My latest attempt (D) :

Hidden Content

sister.php?bpe=A1A6A9&bpj=231F20&bp=6966

Edited by Indefragable