Our new flier!1

Black Knight

From what I see, the differences between the 3 models look magnetizable, since it's based around few hardpoints and the doors (unlike our hovertank with different hull design).

Though if there's a version that has to include the door gunners, I'll put two stubbers into more sensible positions...

The large round details on the sides are begging for some creative consideration, and I want to replace the membrane wings and tail components with huge turboprop fans; not because I don't like it how it is now, but I can't help but consider ways to alter it and make it even more unique. The hovercraft nature of the new tank hasn't really done it for me, but this is just wonderful as-is, and/or as conversion fodder. I'm struggling to see how it can transport more than 5 or 6, however, unless it's deceptively larger than it appears in the current images.

No need to cut off the barrels off the doors. If you look at the detail pic collection, one has a flat door without stubber.

And there are indeed other positions for the stubbers. Nose-mounted, outside of the phosphor mounts or under the wings would be also possible, since I have lots and lots of spare Armiger stubbers.

I'm surprised they went with black membrane. Cream/bone would be much more in keeping with the Mars colour scheme and would make it seem much more dragon like. Almost nods to the dragon of mars in that way. Think it's a fantastic model.

I'm surprised they went with black membrane. Cream/bone would be much more in keeping with the Mars colour scheme and would make it seem much more dragon like. Almost nods to the dragon of mars in that way. Think it's a fantastic model.

I assumed it was because it would look too Eldar-y (sorry, aeldari-y), with bone-coloured sails/flaps.

I'm kinda curious to see what could be done with them in the snazzy laser-light sort of way that GW & many have done their Blackstone Fortress bases. A bit of TRON-style wing membranes.

END OF LINE

The design has grown on me but I'm kinda sick of the Stubber love on our tanks.

We're meant to be the kooky techno weapon faction! Now Brownings R Us

Heresy! The M2 Browning is a superior weapon design in service since M2, and trice-blessed by the Omnissiah. Theology demands we honor the Deus Mechanicus by smiting His foes with this favored weapon!

But seriously, I've come to regard the AdMech as favoring certain tech not because it is more advanced, but because of other reasons. Very suitable for a religious order. So it makes much sense to me.

Prior to the recent resurgence the heavy stubber mainly saw service on comparatively poorly-equipped PDF units. It was a weapon option for the Macharius because it was a "second generation Baneblade" tank, with simpler armaments. I think Krieg Death Korps favour them because... well Krieg really. :p

When our codex has so many awesome weapon types it feels lazy to settle for heavy stubbers. Even if you take away all the Cult Mechanicus technology the Skitarii have some great potential weapon types.

I'm not sure about that. The Adeptus Mechanicus are absolutely the most well resourced faction, but their manufacturing capabilities and raw materials are still stretched by eternal war and unrelenting grimdarkness. Stubbers would be easy to mass produce and I feel skitarii are every bit as expendable as guardsmen, if not even more so. I'm not bolting an expensive neutron laser on flimsy flying contraptions that I fully expect to get shot down in droves anyway.

Even phosphor blasters are - to my eyes at least - just varieties of stubber with nastier ammo.

I'd have liked to see some more of them rad-guns or galvanic weapons.

Even ironhail/icarus/cognis stubber don't quite feel right to me.

Then again, maybe it's a naming thing. Rad-carbines, galvanic rifles, phosphor blasters and transuranic arquebus...

Are they all just stub-carbine, stub-rifles, stub-blasters and stub-arquebus... But with special ammo?

That would make sense, alongside the TPD's macrostubber and the other-variety stub-carbines seen on Sicarians.

(And even then, I'm pretty sure there was a case for them actually having rules-woise mixed up the stub/phosphor pattern on some of the models' visuals, wasn't there? That Kataphrons and Kastellan should actually have stubbers in some cases rather than phosphor blasters?)

Being expendable doesn't mean they shouldn't get at least las-weaponry.

In the Word Bearers trilogy for example, the "skitarii" were nothing but thralls - convicts fitted with control implants, and lasguns grafted to an arm (stump?). Expended to cover the more elite parts of the AdMech army, and simply march at the enemy as distraction/clear chaff. With even more "recruits" in stasis, to produce more thralls in mobile factories when needed.

Skitarii valkyries in one of the heresy novels had multilasers too IIRC.

So yeah...the one reason I don't like the stubbers is that it's not "true" high tech, or fitting AdMech philosophy. Phosphor and depleted uranium projectiles fit the bill nicely, with their utter disregard for life to improve efficiency - ignoring the inflicted suffering (phos) and the long-term damage (rad). Galvanic rifles charge the projectile, giving it a high-tech touch which also improves its impact considerably.

But stubbers are just guns we already have available IRL, throwing out lead in a fashion that is even too inconvenient for the imperial guard. Also, why waste perfectly good resources as projectiles instead of energy, when pretty much every unit carries its own generators already?

Certainly an interesting model, and glad were getting more love.

However I struggle to see where this may fit into to a list/take over a different role.

Transport/fighter id imagine is already covered by our hoverboats/onagers/las-chickens

The bomber option may prove most interesting.

These being -2 to hit with stygies could be pretty nasty (although again, chickens already have this)

Eagerly await the rules/points leak though, and happy to be proved wrong. Deffo have no space on the painting shelf right now anyway lol

On stunners vs las, remember one of the 3 variants has las weapons on the tail gun!

The Gunship version is phosphors out front, stubbers on the doors, lasers to the rear.

The transport is stubbers front and back.

I haven’t seen the exact weapon loadout for the bomber yet.

An element with stubbers that might be due consideration is they are rough on flesh but less so on steel and circuitry. The Mechanicus might use them so much because they leave enemy machines more intact, only using the weapons that wreck those when they really have to.

I will need to buy a new transport case to get it to the table.

I might adapt an old DSLR bag. That fully modular interior should come handy...

lol good idea but when you have two, three? They must have put something in to remove the wings easily, I hope...

I will need to buy a new transport case to get it to the table.

I might adapt an old DSLR bag. That fully modular interior should come handy...

lol good idea but when you have two, three?

That's what I'll use all those spare dividers and foam for. That can accurately fit any lens or accessory, putting a flight of archaeopters in there should work too.

But yeah, I hope there's a way to magnetize the wings or at least the rear part. Guns will be magnetized anyway.