Our new flier!1

Black Knight

This is just going to be conversion fodder. Need to get rid of the ugly wings and tail!

Terminator style hunter-killers?
Those use fans to hover, meaning they can only fly where the atmosphere is sufficiently dense.

Anti-gravity systems, plus enlarged thrusters (to overcome weak gravity if the planet's gravity is too weak for an anti-gravity system to "push off" from) will be a better choice.

Think an HMP droid gunship. Yes, if I get one, I WILL make every effort to give mine enough "dakka."

Anyone else tempted to remove the doors and have a stubber wielding skitarii dangling out, helicopter door gunner style?

Just me?

Sounds awesome, but is the interior of the 'copter even modelled? And to convert a skitarii model away from its standard pose sounds challenging, to say the least.

Interiors on transports alas seem a thing of the past from GW. If this could be modelled open I’d expect they’d have shown that off.

The variable wing also seems to only be shown in the one position and I wonder how hard it might be to alter, a landed Archaeopter with raised wings (like the landed Klingon Bird Of Prey) would look cool but might take a lot of work depending on how the kit assembles.

Still I’d be extremely happy to find they’d modelled the interior. And unless the door guns are just stuck on the doors haphazardly the doors are possibly seperate and so might be able to be modelled open. So that could have encouraged an interior.

Still that wasn’t shown on the cover of the instructions which showed the variants. So I’m not pausing my respiration.

Anyone else tempted to remove the doors and have a stubber wielding skitarii dangling out, helicopter door gunner style?

Just me?

Sounds awesome, but is the interior of the 'copter even modelled? And to convert a skitarii model away from its standard pose sounds challenging, to say the least.

If you build the hovercraft as the tank version that leaves the chequer plate floor from the transporter that would be good in there. Find some kind of console display for the forward bulkhead, something bench-esque for the rear.

But, yes the posing of a trooper would be the tricky bit.

Could you not use one of the skitarii from our new tank side sponsons? They should have the right post to hold a gun like that

That would make do in a pinch, but bear in mind they are hanging out of a moving aircraft, their cloaks should be billowing all over the place if you really want to sell the concept. For what it's worth, I would stick the Dunerider gunners in there and not worry about the motion of the robes. :)

Just me?

Could you not use one of the skitarii from our new tank side sponsons? They should have the right post to hold a gun like that

That would make do in a pinch, but bear in mind they are hanging out of a moving aircraft, their cloaks should be billowing all over the place if you really want to sell the concept. For what it's worth, I would stick the Dunerider gunners in there and not worry about the motion of the robes. :smile.:

So much this. I'll greenstuff a cloak if it bother me enough, but most likely I'll be too busy swooshing it around humming "ride of the Valkyries" and mumbling about Napalm in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...

:censored: I might have to start an admech army.

I love it, especially the suggestion of troopers hanging out.

Forge world Harkonnen / Ordos / Atreidies anyone?

I Guess Harkonnen would suit the gridark theme best.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. It’s a lot bigger than I thought. 

Im still uncertain though as to its worth. I’ve been enjoying the transports and for those who like it, there’s the drill too. This copter thingy seems mostly aimed at anti infantry with all those stubber type mounts. It’ll be interesting to say the least. 

I would say 5man(Maybe 6) transport from the size, do we have anything with 5 models we want to transport though? Its pretty much the same overall size as the Corvus.

Edited by Black_Knight

I welcome the option. I’m not sure if there is 5 of anything I want to transport in a flier, maybe rust stalkers? Not sure.

What I do know is a fast flyer that can get up the board and pressure things turn one is very welcome. Especially as the option for Stygies to push other things up the board to add more pressure is something I’d like to use.

Edited by brother_b

I heard there was a picture of maybe las cannons and a bomb option? That’s interesting to me. Anti horde I do feel I’ve got a good amount of but still I’ll probably need to add more boots on the ground for objectives. Edited by brother_b

I like reading how people want to remove part "X" to make it a better model. :)

I don't mind the model. The thing about some of these flyers is they are a complete nightmare to transport. The Heldrake is still one of the worst, and this looks okay, but it's really gotta earn its way into my main collection of AdMech. 

The reality is it looks really unappealing by loadout. It has to be a 10 man, not 5 Man transport... if it is a transport. 5 man Skitarrii units just die to a stiff breeze. 

The flyer meta in competitive play is extremely dicey right now. Iron Hands pretty much own it, and if you want to play in that sand box you better know what you're doing (again, speaking competitively). I'm kind of hot and cold on the wings. 

The thing I would have done different is created a true mechanical monstrousity at the controls. This guy looks too... humanoid. I would have had a mess of cables and some contorted mixture of human/robot working the controls. As it is, I may just paint over the cockpit window as I have done with my Eldar:

Wraithfighter-vs-Orks1-1.jpg?resize=1024

^ This solves my problem with my date Eldar pilots. I think it looks okay too, so I may do this with the AdMech flyers as well. However that is a really bulbous cockpit window. Not sure if it will work. 

The wings I've been thinking might be okay in metallics... rusted and grimy. Or maybe they have to look like a fabric of some sort. I'm really unsure on the wings. 

I heard there was a picture of maybe las cannons and a bomb option? That’s interesting to me. Anti horde I do feel I’ve got a good amount of but still I’ll probably need to add more boots on the ground for objectives.

Yes, there are pics, back from the event where they got showcased.

The reality is it looks really unappealing by loadout. It has to be a 10 man, not 5 Man transport... if it is a transport. 5 man Skitarrii units just die to a stiff breeze.

I don't think it's designed to flood the board with skitarii blobs, rather to deploy small but expendable strike teams.

5 man skitarii can pack a bit of a punch with 2 special weapons. Or a discount punch for almost nothing (40p for 5 shots arc). Or tie up something in CC. Or use the vanguard rad rule to support other CC units (then taser goads wound marines on 2+). Or several of the mentioned points at once, again, for a points cost that is hard not to earn back.

5 man rusties/infiltrators can pull their weight when actually getting close to their target. 5 electro priests likewise. Not deathstars, but a noticeable threat.

Not to forget, the auto explode strat becomes a lot funnier when dumping a flyer in the middle of the enemy units - either they clear the area and disperse, or they suffer guaranteed mortal wounds on everyone around, or they ignore it. Bad choices either way...

True enough there is some value in moving small squads, but I just don't see it taking over the role of the transport which is cheap enough, and large enough, and just shooty enough to make the flyer a tough fit.

We don't actually know if it is a transport though, do we? 

Ooh, if the transport is a common means of deploying Ruststalkers, perhaps with rules that make such a thing convenient & efficient... Well, I think I could enjoy that a lot!

---

For the wings, I've had a vague notion that going for the "metallic" effect used in some Legion armours - BA, Thousand Sons, Alpha Legion, might be the easiest to make work - make the thin membranes look technological but approximating dragon-fly colourings, rather than Da Vinci-esque canvas flaps.

Actual insect-style might work too, but harder to achieve.

A final one was to go Blackstone Fortress base/TRON style, mostly very black with bright blue lines/highlights, and imply that they're some sort of tech-field energy membrane or some other jargon.

Again, could be tough to do on a smooth, curved surface, but with a mild trick might look very good.