Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Psychic Awakening 4 - Ritual of the Damned

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
853 replies to this topic

Vanger

Vanger

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 701 posts

Honestly, that article has made me more than a little mad, and I'm just hoping it's because the WHC guy who wrote this doesn't know anything about Dark Angels...

Ahem, I'm going to be getting ranty, it's slightly off topic and I apologise in advance. This may seem pedantic, but in my heart I know I am truly a pedant...

Firstly, we don't have 'Captains' - we have 'Masters'. That's not just a terminology / language thing that I'm annoyed about, it's actually a gameplay one too. We don't have the 'Captain' keyword on our data sheets, it's 'Master', and any rules that would affect 'Captains' are written to affect 'Masters'.

Whilst I'm here on Captains, "Deathwing Captain"? Do you mean Master in Terminator Armour? Because technically, even if it's not actually reflected in the rules, all Non-Primaris Masters are part of the Deathwing - but now have the option of taking Terminator Armour into battle. Even more pedantically, "Deathwing Captain" implies the Master (using correct terminology) of the Deathwing Company - who is Belial, a named character who is unable to take additional equipment. So unless this is a real subtle hint that they've killed off Belial - this is really wrong.

Now onto "This marked a unique moment in the Dark Angels’ history, as Lazarus became the first-ever Primaris member of the Inner Circle." which really got my goat, because he isn't. From a fluff perspective, all Dark Angel Librarians are immediately promoted into the Inner Circle, because of their importance to the Hunt and interrogation/repentance of the Fallen. This happened with the Primaris release too, and at least none of the other Primaris characters went straight into the Inner Circle too. This isn't just lore, it's in the rules too. Take a look at the Primaris Librarian data sheet, and he has the Inner Circle special rule. So Lazarus is far from the first Primaris member of the Inner Circle. 

I'm hoping this is all because the WHC article writer isn't a Dark Angels player, but I'm fearful this may be from the book writer...

Have you read the DA fluff in the WD? GW is clearly postitioning Lazarus as the first ever primaris to be part of the Inner Circle.It seems tha tthey forgot about this "little tidbit" that all librarians are supposed to be part of the Inner Circle by default...

I took ballistics in school. Fascinating subject. Things go up! Things go down!

*Laughs in Heretic Astartes*

G8Keeper

G8Keeper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,254 posts
  • Faction: Angels Repentant

80785356_147768603309025_132401145328606

Art of Lazarus from instagram

I always feel power swords are too thin in the artwork
Something tells me you've not had a lot to do with real-world longswords.

I don't think many people have 😁.
  • clumsy_explorer, Panzer and Hantheman like this
gallery_3547_15792_6078.pnggallery_3547_15435_7258.pnggallery_3547_15792_4794.png

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,786 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
Primaris Librarians being in the Inner Circle probably happened Post-Lazarus.
  • Karhedron likes this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,563 posts

Primaris Librarians being in the Inner Circle probably happened Post-Lazarus.

Well that didn't take very long.

Noserenda

Noserenda

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,393 posts
  • Faction: Scythes of the Emperor

Well there is Inner Circle and then theres Inner Circle :D 

But tbh i wouldnt take a game mechanic as proof over a specific narrative point, the rules and the fluff never entirely synch up.

• jeremy1391 and MaulerUK like this

Biscuittzz

Biscuittzz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 940 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard/Grey Knights

Well there's been no time given for when Lazarus ascended (afaik?) so it may well have been before there where any primaris librarians. A pretty easy thing to write into the PA book.

Grimdark_Garage

Grimdark_Garage

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 173 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels
Librarians can read minds. Tough to keep secrets from them I'd say

UtariOnzo

UtariOnzo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 383 posts
That and the lore has established that Librarians are auto-inducted into the deathwing since their schtick is also book keeping all the secrets and the hunt, but that’s neither here nor there for PA4

Gotta say I really like that they’re going for synergy with the inclusion of the deathwing strategem dropping with ravenwing. I think triwing lists, with the points drops we had, are much more viable now with small greenwing backline holders, a deathwing detachment all supporting a solid core of ravenwing knights/speeders

Cryptix

Cryptix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,260 posts
  • Faction: Dusk Raiders, Lords of Stone
Also wasn't wrath of magnus pre gathering storm? How could he have been saved by the rubicon?

Well would you look at the time, it's zombie o'clock!
sml_gallery_55866_13614_5370.jpgL_T_3_2017_Badge_02_Chaplain.jpggallery_4664_12529_16642.jpggallery_60566_6038_377.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Banner_02_Failed.jpg

jaxom

jaxom

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,931 posts

Post WoM and Fall of Cadia, the Dark Angels kept fighting the forces of Tzeentch and Magnus in Warzone Stygius.

• Harleqvin likes this

gallery_48988_15094_7420.pnggallery_48988_15094_3504.pngsml_gallery_48988_11572_4589.png

Past Event Banners

Spoiler

Harleqvin

Harleqvin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,272 posts
  • Faction: The Order (Dark Angels)

Honestly, that article has made me more than a little mad, and I'm just hoping it's because the WHC guy who wrote this doesn't know anything about Dark Angels...

Ahem, I'm going to be getting ranty, it's slightly off topic and I apologise in advance. This may seem pedantic, but in my heart I know I am truly a pedant...

Firstly, we don't have 'Captains' - we have 'Masters'. That's not just a terminology / language thing that I'm annoyed about, it's actually a gameplay one too. We don't have the 'Captain' keyword on our data sheets, it's 'Master', and any rules that would affect 'Captains' are written to affect 'Masters'.
Whilst I'm here on Captains, "Deathwing Captain"? Do you mean Master in Terminator Armour? Because technically, even if it's not actually reflected in the rules, all Non-Primaris Masters are part of the Deathwing - but now have the option of taking Terminator Armour into battle. Even more pedantically, "Deathwing Captain" implies the Master (using correct terminology) of the Deathwing Company - who is Belial, a named character who is unable to take additional equipment. So unless this is a real subtle hint that they've killed off Belial - this is really wrong.

Now onto "This marked a unique moment in the Dark Angels’ history, as Lazarus became the first-ever Primaris member of the Inner Circle." which really got my goat, because he isn't. From a fluff perspective, all Dark Angel Librarians are immediately promoted into the Inner Circle, because of their importance to the Hunt and interrogation/repentance of the Fallen. This happened with the Primaris release too, and at least none of the other Primaris characters went straight into the Inner Circle too. This isn't just lore, it's in the rules too. Take a look at the Primaris Librarian data sheet, and he has the Inner Circle special rule. So Lazarus is far from the first Primaris member of the Inner Circle. 

I'm hoping this is all because the WHC article writer isn't a Dark Angels player, but I'm fearful this may be from the book writer...

Have you read the DA fluff in the WD? GW is clearly postitioning Lazarus as the first ever primaris to be part of the Inner Circle.It seems tha tthey forgot about this "little tidbit" that all librarians are supposed to be part of the Inner Circle by default...

Belial has his wargear options back. It’s in the legends pdf about Wargear. It states to add certain wargear options to the codex entries. Belial being on of the codex entries.

———————————————————————————

Primaris Libbies are auto inducted into the Deathwing/Inner Circle. That was info given to us directly in the Codex about them.

———————————————————————————

I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of Lazzy’s rules (Even if I wont use him often.) I’ll get the model (two of them,) one to kitbash up to be Lazzy or any Primaris Company Master (putting Balthazar’s helmet on him. Pointy wings should be the way. Lqtm,) and the second one to make a nifty looking Primaris Company Champion even though we don’t have a unit Datasheet for that yet, it’s still something I’d like to do.

The strats and rules they have shown are pretty neat. I just really hope they made the WD strat of d6” move after teleporting in a normal strat for DA. I mean it really should be a normal DA strat.
  • Black Blow Fly likes this

ETL_03_Custos_Fidei_Vow_01.jpg Redemption... One heretic at a time. My DA conversions on FB My works on FB My B&C DA Pre/heresy WiP

Harleqvin

Harleqvin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,272 posts
  • Faction: The Order (Dark Angels)

So glad GW are moving away from the more digital based art they were doing a couple years back and returning to the sketchy and more grim-dark style. The art from all the PA books so far has been awesome to be fair.

That is digital art.
  • totgeboren, Hellex_The_Thanatar and Panzer like this

ETL_03_Custos_Fidei_Vow_01.jpg Redemption... One heretic at a time. My DA conversions on FB My works on FB My B&C DA Pre/heresy WiP

totgeboren

totgeboren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,615 posts
  • Faction: Word Bearers

So glad GW are moving away from the more digital based art they were doing a couple years back and returning to the sketchy and more grim-dark style. The art from all the PA books so far has been awesome to be fair.

I don't think I can see a single brush stroke on the art of Lazarus. The digital nature is especially apparent in the marine outline on the right (above the human) and on the cloak/dust to the left.
Still, it looks great so I'm not complaining, and I agree that this style is much more evocative than the stuff where it kinda looked like they took a screenshot of the CADs and drew art over it.

• Sonoftherubric21 likes this

WfHLk2F.jpgETL_2014_Banner_V2_04_Primus_Inter_Paresgallery_29004_6198_3277.png

“What started out as a pleasant afternoon of drugs and surgery has not gone as planned.”

-Zoidberg

My Chaos stuff, Mansions of MadnessDescent 2ed, and home-made ZM board!

cretacianborn

cretacianborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 199 posts
  • Faction: Flesh Tearers

That is digital art.

I don't think I can see a single brush stroke on the art of Lazarus. The digital nature is especially apparent in the marine outline on the right (above the human) and on the cloak/dust to the left.
Still, it looks great so I'm not complaining, and I agree that this style is much more evocative than the stuff where it kinda looked like they took a screenshot of the CADs and drew art over it.

Fair points!

I should have been more specific when I said "digital art". I guess I meant this sort of stuff. A lot of it was in the 7th and 8th edition Deathwatch codex's.

It's cool taken on it's own, but doesn't really sit alongside a lot of the older art for me, it's quite, cartoony? Almost video game like. I mean, I don't know the correct terms, I'm not an artist. 

Spoiler

I'm just glad GW are moving back to their original style I guess!

• G8Keeper, totgeboren and Harleqvin like this

gallery_45765_12339_531.pnggallery_45765_12339_7181.png

Instagram - cretacianborn

Twitter - cretacianborn

Flesh Tearers Spearhead Force - WIP

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,940 posts
  • Faction: Blood Ravens
Let's not go into a deep dive into GW's recent art styles, eh?
  • Black Blow Fly, Juggernut and cretacianborn like this
Active Projects: The Great Repaintening! - follow along on my journey to repaint a Blood Ravens army. | Adeptus Titanicis: Legio Metalica - a slow-grow plog of tiny titans and tinier knights.
Finished Projects: Brother Casman's Waaagh! - All of my Orks... for now. | Brother Casman's Terrain Extravaganza! - Getting the "Third Army" on the battlefield

In the operations of war, [...] the expenditure at home and at the front, including entertainment of guests, small items such as glue and paint, and sums spent on chariots and armor, will reach the total of a thousand ounces of silver per day. Such is the cost of raising an army ...

Archaeinox

Archaeinox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,166 posts

So do you folks think that there will be a change of tone between the GK and DA when Ritual of the Damned concludes? 

In other words, do you think the GK are being deceptive in their request for DA assistance in the Prospero system, only to attempt to mind wipe them after the fight is over?

"You're a wizard, Ahri"

"Discgoat for Harambe"

Aztek

Aztek

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 592 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

So do you folks think that there will be a change of tone between the GK and DA when Ritual of the Damned concludes? 

In other words, do you think the GK are being deceptive in their request for DA assistance in the Prospero system, only to attempt to mind wipe them after the fight is over?

*Fallen secret is let out completely during the book, but due to Grey Knight mind wipes no one remembers except the Grey Knights who now think the Dark Angels are also cool secret keeping bros.*

Book summary lol.

• Lexington and Wolf Guard Dan like this

jaxom

jaxom

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,931 posts
Really depends on how the writers want to leave things for moving forward. One could work backwards to justify a great many things.

gallery_48988_15094_7420.pnggallery_48988_15094_3504.pngsml_gallery_48988_11572_4589.png

Past Event Banners

Spoiler

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,970 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos
Also, it seems that since the Psychic Awakening stuff is “filling in” the Indomitus Crusade era, the books are already “working backward” in part - it’s been really hard to piece together just when the continuity really is, but it’s very possible that somewhat incongruously no Primaris Librarians were actually delivered to the Dark Angels/Unforgiven, and Lazarus’s Rubicon event happens before any are made, but after Calgar undergoes his process?

Personally I just wish they were revealing more about how the Unforgiven really incorporate the Primaris or had stuck with them being more traditionalist and not really changing until they have released whatever they need to for full Primaris integration. The piece-meal method and half-assed incorporation are really grating.

Hopefully they do a bit better for the Space Wolves.
  • MaulerUK and SufficientAnonymity like this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

jaxom

jaxom

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,931 posts

Also, it seems that since the Psychic Awakening stuff is “filling in” the Indomitus Crusade era, the books are already “working backward” in part - it’s been really hard to piece together just when the continuity really is, but it’s very possible that somewhat incongruously no Primaris Librarians were actually delivered to the Dark Angels/Unforgiven, and Lazarus’s Rubicon event happens before any are made, but after Calgar undergoes his process?

Personally I just wish they were revealing more about how the Unforgiven really incorporate the Primaris or had stuck with them being more traditionalist and not really changing until they have released whatever they need to for full Primaris integration. The piece-meal method and half-assed incorporation are really grating.

War of Secrets is where I expected to get a lot of answers to those questions. It was disheartening in their absence and more so in any actual answers received. I'm hoping the fluff in PA4 is more coherent.

Past Event Banners

Spoiler

Felix Antipodes

Felix Antipodes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 775 posts
  • Faction: Fighting Furies

This is where the decision to drop time/date references - a decision I was initially in favour of - has bitten GW on the arse by making the PA books curious at best and impenetrable at worst.
  • Lexington likes this

Knight Artorias

Knight Artorias

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 152 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

There's been some excellent models with PA, but in terms of fluff I hope they're just treading water until whatever awesome thing is happening this summer.

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

You guys really shouldn't expect any sort of conclusion or whatsoever.

PA2 was just showing that the power of faith is strong now and has opened some narratives. The only kind of conclusions we got there were terrible plot twists that lead either to another plot twist or to a cliffhanger.

PA3 was just re-telling us how Devastation of Baal ended (so nothing new there) and then tells us what the Blood Angels and the successors are doing now (reinforcing Baal and the surroundings, working together with Dante out of respect not because of his new title, engaging remains of the Hivefleet Leviathan on various fronts, including a GSC on one of the planets). This one was actually so far the one with the least amount of background and I assume it's largely due the new Dante and Mephiston books getting released at the same time which have all the juicy stuff in them.

Psychic Awakening is just background noise so we have a vague idea of what was going on in the galaxy during the time skip. The main purpose is to give everyone some crunch without having to release a whole new Codex until presumably the new edition gets released.

Edited by Panzer, 18 January 2020 - 07:35 AM.

• MaulerUK, Harleqvin, 01RTB01 and 1 other like this

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Aztek

Aztek

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 592 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

Preview is out for Table Top Tactics on youtube but I don't have time to flip through it. Can anyone tell me what Lazzy's point value is?

https://www.goonhamm...-1-dark-angels/

https://youtu.be/ZwiV8xq7hNk?t=1353

No points for Lazarus in PA4. Wat.

Edited by Aztek, 18 January 2020 - 11:37 AM.

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,745 posts
  • Faction: All Things Khornate
Oops!
  • Aztek likes this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users