Ritual of the Damned - Psychic Awakening

Berwald

Are landspeeders going to be good now then? I still think they are a bit too expensive and fragile for what they offer and if the LSV has that dumb overcharge rule then it's still rubbish in my eyes.

Speeders have been good for several editions, but this edition has done nothing but good things for speeders.  And this is just one more boon for them.

I guess I've always felt to be they were hindered by still being a tad too expensive for my liking, too fragile and hampered by moving with heavy weapons. I can see some uses now thanks to the Warlord trait and stratagem so we'll see. I do actually have 2 typhoons and I might get some more but not sure what weapons to give now.

If the LSV got a new datasheet to change its main weapon to get rid of that overheat system I could defo see them becoming more useful.

I guess it all comes down to a matter of perspective.  In my mind speeders aren't more fragile than other units.  If you routinely put units in isolated sections of the board where they can get cut off from the rest of your forces even something like an IK can become fragile.  The issue with speeders is that they have the speed to easily allow the player to put them in compromised positions.

You wouldn't deep strike a TDA Captain by himself in a remote section of the board and expect him to survive very long.  Then why would you expect a similarly priced vehicle with a worse save and no invulnerable save to perform better when used in a similarly foolish way?

I don't think the LSV needs to lose the overheat rule, or even the 3 wounds when it rolls a 1 to hit.  The only thing that it needs to lose is the can't use the weapon again.

I think if the vengance had the emergency venting rule leman russes have on there plasma turret then it would be a solid option. I'm going to be running one in my speeder list as its not terrible for 100pts

I think Sammael on Corvex will see some play now. A lot cheaper than Sammael on Sableclaw and his has the BIKER keyword.

T1 You advance him out into position screened by an Impulsor or two cause you know Impulsors don't die.

T2 you move him (or double move him with the strat) into the perfect position, flying over obstacles cause he has Fly and drop in your 10 Deathwing Knights. Also drop in a Deathwing Ancient with the FNP bubble relic and the Knights will be hard to shift. You can then load up the Knights with all sorts of other strats and Sammael can give them re-roll 1s.

Even though Sammael has a lot less firepower on Corvex, using him this way you will still get a solid "Smash Captain" 

While it can be done, so many lists now have so many units with FLY that they just zoom over the impulsors and kill Sammael on Corvex. I see it as a gimmicky but high risk strategy. Also DWK aren't THAT awesome (but they are damn cool).

That said, we do have more strings to pull now than we ever had in 8th, I think.

Currently I am looking at a list for a small tournament this sunday. I am allowed to use what has been revealed by GW from PA. No other sources are considered okay. FW is allowed for this, but since I got another tournament in two weeks time where FW is not allowed (ETC restrictions), I will not be bringing leviathans and so on to this first one. Might as well try to make something work based on what codex options I have at hand.

I'm going greenwing as RW with what GW revealed will have less output, I fear. Greenwing makes better use of devastator doctrine than Ravenwing, unless you run all speeders and Nephilims.

So hellblasters, 1-2 repulsor executioners, aggressors, azrael, lieutenant, chaplain of some sort, scouts, 1-2 whirlwinds, eliminators. Adjustments to this are possible, but we have so many options I find it hard to decide on what to bring. Also in the marine meta that we are currently in, I think it becomes mandatory to be decent at killing... marines.

I forgot those new snipers the Eliminators will now get the buff + the old scout snipers, getting out of retaliation range while targeting characters at 42" is a solid choice.

I've been running a couple of squads lately and there really durable set up in cover being able to set them up further away and get more board coverage from 2 squads is a real bonus.

Edited by SnakeChisler

I'm really really pleased with these new rules. Not top tier, game-breaking stuff, but a nice little boost.

@Skywrath and I played a Dark Angels v Dark Angels game today to try out some of the new stratagems etc, and the new synergies were great. Having doctrines alone was really brutal with heaps of rapid firing bolters, but the extra range under devastator doctrine came in handy a few times too. It took a bit of getting used to, but once the new ranges become more intuitive I think it will be quite a powerful strategy to set up for a long range "I can hit you but you can't hit me" first turn. Skywrath was able to Combined Assault a squad of Deathwing knights down into combat with the heart of my army, exactly where they should be. Having multiple Ravenwing bike units to get the drop from will be really important, though, as it is quite predictable where they are going to land otherwise.

But the thing I was most impressed with was the new Ravenwing WL trait that allows RW models within 6" to fire heavy weapons as if they haven't moved, and assault weapons as if they haven't advanced. I took a list with a few MSU squads of black knights and melta bikes (so Speed of the Raven would have been inefficient), but having this aura, in addition to the normal Sammael/Talonmaster bubble, enabled me to jink with almost all my army with little reduction in firepower. When I think about the number of CPs I saved not having to Speed of the Raven, and the number of hits I got that would normally have been misses with a -1 penalty, the 1 CP I paid on Heroes of the Chapter for the bonus warlord trait was most certainly worth it. 

Looking forward to others' experiments and experiences in the coming weeks, but thought I'd share in case it helps with the list-building activity that I'm seeing popping up

Guys I just want to say I am super excited for this book, not just rules but also fluff developments (especially interactions with GK and DA after the fighting TS is done)

You all deserved a rules update and as a TS player looking at your rules from a distance, it would appear as though they didn't do you dirty. Congrats!

and thats just PREVIEW stuff.

Edited by Archaeinox

Guys I just want to say I am super excited for this book, not just rules but also fluff developments (especially interactions with GK and DA after the fighting TS is done)

You all deserved a rules update and as a TS player looking at your rules from a distance, it would appear as though they didn't do you dirty. Congrats!

and thats just PREVIEW stuff.

Thanks Cousin.

I was checking on battlescribe, and it says that chaplains for regular astartes can perform TWO litanies a turn.

Is this accurate?

If so, what do you guys think that might mean for our Interrogators?

Not according to the codex. They know two (Litany of Hate plus one) and can recite one each turn. The exception is Masters of Sanctity (special characters and using the stratagem). The question is whether Asmodai gets a similar rule (he's technically not Master of Sanctity) or if we get access to Master of Sanctity (Sapphon doesn't have a unique datasheet). 

Just adding onto @TheWeepingAngel narrative. My overall impressions were thus:

The new synergies between ravenwing and deathwing is honestly something to look forward to. A bit of back-story, both our armies were around the 1600-1700 mark. Last game, before those changes were revealed, there was a massive difference between the two factions of Dark Angels, but with these, it seems like Deathwing would be at the very most equal to the Ravenwing. My unit composition were 5 knights, and 10 terminators (plasma cannon, assault cannon, one with lightning claw pair, and two with chain fists). TheWeepingAngels army list was heavily ravenwing focused, so you have you usual suspects such as Darkshroud, bikers, Black Knights, Sammael, etc. The strategem of deep-striking 6 units away from the Ravenwing and with my luck, landing in, took a heavy toll on those, and in the end the game was close enough. I believe with a bit of tweaking with my list, it should be sufficient enough to see Deathwing have a permament place along any army.

@Chaplain Elijah, If I didn't have Kaldor in my army, I would heartily suggest taking the champion with the key relic and that 6 inch teleport trait. Yesterday's game with TheWeepingAngel proved that while he still remains a niche choice, you DO NOT want him in melee range. If I remember correctly I managed to kill about 3-4 bikers with the champion before he finished him off. 

There is an interesting discussion going on about Deep Striking Knights with either Combined Assault or Canticle of Hate strategies. I've made my points but i can be wrong though so i would like to hear yours too, feel free to participate : http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/361106-looking-for-feedback-on-my-list-wth-deathwing-knights/?p=5463647

@Chaplain Elijah, If I didn't have Kaldor in my army, I would heartily suggest taking the champion with the key relic and that 6 inch teleport trait. Yesterday's game with TheWeepingAngel proved that while he still remains a niche choice, you DO NOT want him in melee range. If I remember correctly I managed to kill about 3-4 bikers with the champion before he finished him off.

Yes i'm going to play him in two weeks or so, i already made a list that should make him interesting hopefully :) Edited by Chaplain Elijah

I’ll see if I can have a look. It’s more the fact that all our Primaris choices have new data sheets included that is interesting me.

EDIT: it’s just a battle report between 1ksons and Grey Knights?

Edited by Angel of Solitude

Guest MistaGav

Just seeing another review on the Galacial Geek youtube vid. The Primaris master now can take a Bolt Carbine with special issue ammo. Statline reads 24" Assault 2, Str4 Ap-2 D1. Looks like he has the flexibility to take a power fist instead of the power sword now too which is pretty decent.