Psychic Awakening: The Ritual of the Damned

darkseren1ty

Also I'm surprise at the amount of hype people are giving to this strat. I have never played a game where my opponent never just move out of range or outright just charge at my dust cans. You guys actually get to shoot with stationary rubrics?

That sounds like a reddit comment I just saw. Anyway, yes, I often use bolter discipline and shoot while standing still. At least 2 times in the game. 

Your mileage may vary. Casual games

But at least there’s some kick back combos here with Crystal and this stratagem.

Doesn't crystal make them count as having moved?

Also I'm surprise at the amount of hype people are giving to this strat. I have never played a game where my opponent never just move out of range or outright just charge at my dust cans. You guys actually get to shoot with stationary rubrics?

When my Rubrics are camped on precious objectives my opponents are thirsty for.

Seems like we're becoming a static army. Goal is to get where you want and keep them there. I think this makes sense with the boomerang style of Magnus.

That said, still not quite seeing the greater picture of what this army is it does. We've seen more for psychics on GK and Eldar versus 1KS, and still aren't seeing a balance on the WC costs of our spells.

I'm hoping all spells are printed in this book for a consolidation, but ideally some WC drops would be nice.

We may be incentivized to be a bit more static here, but don't forget that we've got insane teleport shenanigans depending on which Cult and/or relics are being used. We're also already really heavy on flying characters that can do a lot of damage and we're pretty good with aggressive Daemon Engines if we build for it.

But at least there’s some kick back combos here with Crystal and this stratagem.

Yes they do count as having moved, but what you do is stand there and blast away, then teleport away when charged so ANOTHER squad can open up and murder the fools.

Also, the Soulreaper still isn't too bad in Rubric squads. One bolter firing twice gets the same number of shots at worse strength and AP. SOT's can leave it at home, though.

That sounds incredibly tedious to setup in a game where obliterators can just deep strike in and proceed to double tap twice or havocs that can afford to camp all game with 48 inch guns.

Not to mention it requires your opponent to make multiple tactical mistakes as well.

It also sounds like you will be relying on MSU rubrics which means mileage of this strat is limited too.

That sounds like a reddit comment I just saw. Anyway, yes, I often use bolter discipline and shoot while standing still. At least 2 times in the game. 

Your mileage may vary. Casual games

I get plenty of opportunities to shoot with my phalanx of 20 when standing still, given that I spend Turn 1 moving up with Warp Time while firing, then plant my feet. My goat screens move with me and my opponent has counter-charging characters to deal with while Terminators fall on their head. Not so much in the early game, but once I own mid table, I rarely move those guys in particular.

Yes they do count as having moved, but what you do is stand there and blast away, then teleport away when charged so ANOTHER squad can open up and murder the fools.

Also, the Soulreaper still isn't too bad in Rubric squads. One bolter firing twice gets the same number of shots at worse strength and AP. SOT's can leave it at home, though.

That sounds incredibly tedious to setup in a game where obliterators can just deep strike in and proceed to double tap twice or havocs that can afford to camp all game with 48 inch guns.

Not to mention it requires your opponent to make multiple tactical mistakes as well.

It also sounds like you will be relying on MSU rubrics which means mileage of this strat is limited too.

Not tedious at all. Just use Risen Rubricae or spend one turn with move/Warp Time/regular fire rate. Screen with goats.

We don't get Oblits and while MSU rubricae are valid, one of the deadliest ways to run them is a brick of 20 with layered buffs, including invuln bonuses and penalties to hit. You get more mileage out of Prescience, Vets, and those defenses with a large unit.

Not tedious at all. Just use Risen Rubricae or spend one turn with move/Warp Time/regular fire rate. Screen with goats.

We don't get Oblits and while MSU rubricae are valid, one of the deadliest ways to run them is a brick of 20 with layered buffs, including invuln bonuses and penalties to hit. You get more mileage out of Prescience, Vets, and those defenses with a large unit.

You literally just added a few more steps to your strategy and yet it's still not tedious? The situation you described needs a very specific build and a perfect chain of events to pull off. You are describing a scenario where you spent one CP to infiltrate your rubrics aggressively (which you are gonna risk losing if you don't go first turn unless you took the warlord trait as well to redeploy but by then you have wasted one cp and a warlord trait) and then followed by a situation where your opponent hasn't just decided to move out of range or make an easy charge (or maybe just outright delete), for the luxury of being able to spend 1 CP to double tap.

I see Thousand Sons and the thinking mans army (translation: low tier, lol) and we often have to think several moves ahead.

Sure it's situational though its up to us to create the situation.

I see all kind of applications for this strat whether its 5 man, 10 man or 20. They are not the only threat we put on the board and if we have to move to get into position and pop it next round I see no issue with that because my spawn will bum rush, while my preds fire, smites galore (and any other units we can fit in). With move shenanigans, subtle and meaningful decietfullness this can be a great strat turns 1, 2 or 3 and so on.

Edited by Skerr

You literally just added a few more steps to your strategy and yet it's still not tedious? The situation you described needs a very specific build and a perfect chain of events to pull off. You are describing a scenario where you spent one CP to infiltrate your rubrics aggressively (which you are gonna risk losing if you don't go first turn unless you took the warlord trait as well to redeploy but by then you have wasted one cp and a warlord trait) and then followed by a situation where your opponent hasn't just decided to move out of range or make an easy charge (or maybe just outright delete), for the luxury of being able to spend 1 CP to double tap.

Um....I added nothing to my strategy because this strategy is the core of my army and how I take objectives mid table. Literally my entire army will be moving to that location or near it within short order. The core of my entire army build is 20 Rubrics and support characters who will still be within casting range after I employ Risen.

Notice that I said earlier that I usually stop after reaching mid table and continue firing. This is NOW, without Risen Rubricae. What Risen will do is get me to 24 in shooting range quicker and do so at mid table where a lot of objectives usually reside. If my opponent backs up, I gain more board control. I will place my objectives and/or play Schemes of War cards with this in mind.

The characters would be buffing the 20 Rubrics anyway. Barring a Sieze, I will usually know whether I'm going first or not.

This is something I'm already doing. Risen is used in my case to close range and be able to sit and fire at a target I would have moved and fired at anyway.

I will not be dropping Rubricae all the way forward just to go double tap something. I will be getting myself to a place I already wanted to go, while retaining better firepower.

I will also have a unit of 30 goats sitting at my normal front line to draw fire. If not shot at, it will be in my opponent's lines or on a key objective Turn 1. There will also be either 2 Daemon Engines and a Mutalith or yet more Rubricae, plus 15 Terminators waiting in either case, or perhaps deployed on the table if I think I need to spread threat more. This ENTIRE force will spread to objectives in a big wave while retaining mutual support. Nothing gets thrown forward to be sacrificed other then the goats, and only when I don't need them as a screen.

Returning to my original idea, many competent opponents will usually try to charge the Rubricae to tie them up, hence the Dark Crystal trick I mentioned.

My entire commentary was based on stuff I do anyway. I hope I didn't make you think I was just going to throw a 20 man unit out there unsupported JUST to double tap.

Edited by GreaterChickenofTzeentch

Okay, so I figure we've got these so far for big moves:

- Duplicity - Tzaangor/Mutalith/HQ infiltrate and RR charges

- Duplicity - Rubric Warpflamer Bomb

- Duplicity/Time - Rubric Infernal Fusillade

- Time - Scarabs Infernal Fusillade

All of those things require 2-3 CP per pull but are pretty deadly. If our durability gets a boost we may see a few blows (ie. Pulling off the above 2-3 times in a game) on key units may be enough to hold the boars.

It'll be interesting.

Hey I just had a thought, what's that thing in Kill Team where All is Dust things can stand back up and shrug off more damage? These strats have offensive power but hmmmm

We've seen, what, 2 stratagems? I wonder what else there is. Praise Tzeentch, we will get leaks soon I hope

Edited by Archaeinox

Hey I just had a thought, what's that thing in Kill Team where All is Dust things can stand back up and shrug off more damage? These strats have offensive power but hmmmm

We've seen, what, 2 stratagems? I wonder what else there is. Praise Tzeentch, we will get leaks soon I hope

At minimum we have 6 more strats, at best probably another 8-10. 

+ all the cult stuff. We may not get "mono-faction bonuses" but it sure as heck seems like we are getting a pretty massive boost in both output and utility. 

I feel like the cults or our trait aren't really on par with faction bonuses of SM, and I'm sure the majority of you also don't. I think with cults we're improving.

It appears to me though that there are varying layers of mono faction bonuses. Space Marines have both flat (chapters) and flex (doctrine/tides). Maybe Cult is our flat and we will eventually get the flex.

Edited by Zodd1888

Well how do you guys feel about what they showed for DA compared to what TS got? Their range bonus T1 seems pretty nice. And their character has a nice sword against TS.

Considering we only know a tiny fraction of the rules or even how it works in totality for dedicating cults its almost impossible to make an estimation. 

The Cult of Duplicity is pretty solid and the 2 previewed strats were desperately needed. 

So far, Pretty good! 

I don't think what DA/GK got can be compared to TS really, they both got army wide passive buffs, we didn't, as nice as some strats sound remember that they cost CP, how many do you realistically expect to use in any given game (Remember that you WILL use at least 6~ CP a game on key rerolls, and you will use Prepared Positions if you go second)?  as far as quality of strats goes even I think the GK one that for 1 CP after a successful cast gives all the psychers +1 to ALL their casts is just bonkers and much better then our overall (I wish we've got that one tbh)

I've never understood why people get so stoked over strats. They help, but are an opportunity cost because now you can't spend those command points on something else, which is more of a parallel upgrade or choice than a buff. Same with extra relics or warlord traits. And if one is soooo good it will either get nerfed or have it's cost increased. I rather have the blanket buffs of two mono bonuses. But you guys will have to wait and see and play test I suppose. I don't have high hopes for anything with the <chaos> keyword out of PA.

I've never understood why people get so stoked over strats. They help, but are an opportunity cost because now you can't spend those command points on something else, which is more of a parallel upgrade or choice than a buff. Same with extra relics or warlord traits. And if one is soooo good it will either get nerfed or have it's cost increased. I rather have the blanket buffs of two mono bonuses. But you guys will have to wait and see and play test I suppose. I don't have high hopes for anything with the <chaos> keyword out of PA.

Exactly This.

And since at appears we won't be getting a way to get more then one WL trait (nobody got it in PA and not even BA and they are SpeshMareeen) and no improved Relic strats either (will still cost 1/3 insteado of 1/1/1) odds are really high that after the initial hype and tests the go-to WL trait will still remain High Magister as it's a passive buff and out spells are so hard to cast