Psychic Awakening: The Ritual of the Damned

darkseren1ty

I don't get all the "This is GW so the release is gonna suck!" shenanigans going on in here! 

PA 2 *RULES* for Chaos as I have been using those rules regularly for my Black Legion detachments and from everything I saw PA 3 seemed solid overall for both Nids and BA. 

If we end up somewhere around PA 2 or 3? Gonna be good at least if not great. 

Also if were getting NINE sets of some form of rules regarding these "cult dedications" I would say we will probably fall into the normal GW paradigm of 2-3 will be "great", 2-3 will be "forgettable/meh" and the remainder will be trash.  So at the very least we got a shotgun effect going on, gonna get a hit somewhere. 

I don't get all the "This is GW so the release is gonna suck!" shenanigans going on in here!

PA 2 *RULES* for Chaos as I have been using those rules regularly for my Black Legion detachments and from everything I saw PA 3 seemed solid overall for both Nids and BA.

Also if were getting NINE sets of some form of rules regarding these "cult dedications" I would say we will probably fall into the normal GW paradigm of 2-3 will be "great", 2-3 will be "forgettable/meh" and the remainder will be trash. So at the very least we got a shotgun effect going on, gonna get a hit somewhere.

The problem is whenever GW releases anything it's hyped to moon and back and the hype always overshadows the actual release. On top of that I would bet that GW is far more worried about making Dark Angel's and Grey Knights good or at least better where as I dont think the same sense of need exists for TS. So my personal feeling is if GW is going to drop the ball on a portion of this release it's going to be TS.

Also if were getting NINE sets of some form of rules regarding these "cult dedications" I would say we will probably fall into the normal GW paradigm of 2-3 will be "great", 2-3 will be "forgettable/meh" and the remainder will be trash. So at the very least we got a shotgun effect going on, gonna get a hit somewhere.

The problem is whenever GW releases anything it's hyped to moon and back and the hype always overshadows the actual release. On top of that I would bet that GW is far more worried about making Dark Angel's and Grey Knights good or at least better where as I dont think the same sense of need exists for TS. So my personal feeling is if GW is going to drop the ball on a portion of this release it's going to be TS.

You think so? We do have one of the biggest bads (literally and figuratively) currently active in 40k with a pretty "big deal" model. And a lineup of his forces with relatively new kits. I think that gives a certain impetus for them. 

I don't think anyone can claim the Grey Knights have been... "getting love" at any point since even before the edition started. 

That said: 100% agree about being overhyped but that isn't GWs fault. Its the fans. That and realistic expectations for all involved I suppose. 

We’re talking speculation here but my take is we appear to be looking at three factions in this book. So I can just about guarantee one faction is getting a lump of coal in their stocking for Christmas. 

I do know that many times Reece of Frontline has been exceptionally positive about Grey Knights rules in PA

I still think a mechanism like the one that exists for Eldar might be a thing.  

We’re talking speculation here but my take is we appear to be looking at three factions in this book. So I can just about guarantee one faction is getting a lump of coal in their stocking for Christmas. 

I do know that many times Reece of Frontline has been exceptionally positive about Grey Knights rules in PA

I still think a mechanism like the one that exists for Eldar might be a thing.  

What kind of mechanism? the "create your own" faction rules? 

..you mean 1s count as 2s for manifesting?

What Eldar got was the ability to replace smite with a new table of powers. 

So that includes taking smite off of bad psykers with baby smite ( which Warlocks are subject to) and take a different power. Most of these Smite replacements are WC 6. 

Some that I like include Enhance (target a psyker within 6” of the caster. If successful, the target psyker can add 2 to casts and denials for the turn. )

Impair Senses. 18”.  Target can only shoot at the closest unit unless with. 18” of their target. 

Ghost Walk. Target gets +2 to charge rolls. 

I am not against more powers, that's for sure! My #1 concern is that we end up able to reliably manifest the ones we already have access to. :\

Hopefully there is an even split between making ALL of our casters proficient and making Rubric Marines true to the fluff with their enchanted endurance. I'll live with anything, really.. a boost is a boost and this is the first time in a while where I am objectively interested in the book for fluff and new narrative fodder and not just "omg my stuff"

Edited by Archaeinox

just let us cast the same spell 2 times instead of 1. 

Yes, that'd be cool. However, I don't think GW will add many rules that bypass Matched Play because Open/Narrative play already allow this. 

Sort of like how I don't think they'll let us re-roll 1s for tests because Magnus already provides it as an aura.

Although, now that I think about it, there are some stratagems out there now which allow you to bypass certain things in Matched Play so they could be a precedent.

I'm looking forward to this book in particular, not just because it has Sons stuff in but one of my regular opponents plays GK so while we don't play particularly competitively a boost would do well there. As a staunch DIYer being able to customise my force would be great but I'm really after a decent improvement, with what we've seen from CA2019 I'm optimistic :) Hopefully we can find out soon, as once I've got a solid start on my Daemons I'd like to return to my Sons...

For the pat couple days I've been cleaning up my Horrors, Flamers and Screamers for Summoning and I've been thinking about selling my Lord of Change models. If we get a 'pure army' bonus, it's quite likely I won't be running a demons detachment. Need to see what's happening and not budging otherwise with building TS stuff.

For the pat couple days I've been cleaning up my Horrors, Flamers and Screamers for Summoning and I've been thinking about selling my Lord of Change models. If we get a 'pure army' bonus, it's quite likely I won't be running a demons detachment. Need to see what's happening and not budging otherwise with building TS stuff.

That occurred to me as well! I would ditch my daemons if it meant losing the primary army bonuses for single-dex. 

I am *hoping* the GW designers see the flaws in that and for the 4 big chaos legions add a special exception: "If you take a detachment of daemons with the same mark as your chosen chaos legion they do not count against your army mono-codex bonus" or something similar.  Please GW have that much forethought! 

Even in modern art for all the legions their armies daemon equivalent allies are all over the place. I can't see a piece of 1k sons art without seeing Horrors and Screamers all over the place. 

Well hopefully the next week will have lots of Tzeentch stuff but this week looks to be taken up by the AoS Disciples of Tzeentch guys, for sure. Even a cool Happy New Year video features Tzeentch daemons/mortals with fireworks. They'll probably post that tonight on WarCom, I guess. It looks pretty cool to promote AoS Tzeentch but Not sure that will even make me want to keep Tzeentch stuff if they give us a mono build reward but yes I am like you- if they let us be an exception with a Daemons of Tz detachment, I will definitely keep stuff.. 

Edited by Archaeinox

There might be a small backlash if you are not allowed to have allied Tzeentch daemons which compromises any pure detachment rules. I could see a few facebook comments and emails. Personally, a part of me wishes that eventually pure god stuff be it marine or daemon gets rolled into one book. Codex: Tzeentch. Edited by Ahzek451

I'm sure it'll be fine, after all daemons are in the CSM codices! So if there is a nifty new army rule something like Son's suggestion makes perfect sense. The only question would be undivided armies, but I suppose they already get to have their cake and eat it with Cult units so maybe we already have the answer :P

Considering no chaos (or indeed, non imperial) faction even HAVE a monodex power, what makes you all so sure we'd even get one?

I mean, it won't even make sense for xenos, considering many don't even have an option to multi - codex.

I'm thinking chaos as a whole isn't getting any benefit from singilation, especially given existing cross codex support.

I'm imagining TS will get something along the lines of the Clan Kultur affiliations in the Orks codex.

If a TS detachment aligns with the Cult of X, then they gain associated buffs & boosts. I.e. one cult will have benefits to advancing & charging (Tzaangors & daemons), one cult will favour melee, one cult will favour shimmering ephemeral Tzeentch-style changiness (-1 to hit at 12"+, like Raven Guard) one cult will favour shooting (rubrics & SoT), one cult will favour redeployment 9" from enemy models etc... there will be new warlord traits, stratagems and relics that allow TS to aid these styles of play.

not long to wait now...

Yeah, for sure, byrd.

I keep getting hung up on the wording they used.. The terrible, awful, teasing, ambiguous wording.

The Thousand Sons can now dedicate their Sorcerers to one of the nine Cults of the Legion

Okay so......... That could mean that the detachment might not get a detachment wide ability. I'm just saying, it's possible that just the Sorcerers (psykers?) get "a thing." My #1 question would be is this "thing" able to change from psyker to psyker or must they all choose a single one?

– a callback to their arcane roots on fallen Prospero –

Wut? No. Stahp. Which one is Corvidae? Would Ahriman have that cult?

providing them with a plethora of new tactical options.

Ah, yes, I'm very happy to pick this one apart.......... if you must dedicate the army itself to a single cult, that gives you 1 out of the 9 options: Hardly a plethora of tactical options. Maybe it will be psyker-by-psyker basis after all! 

Time will tell. I can't wait any longer, lol

I've been bugging my guy for info but the only thing he passed on was an image which will likely be used on WarCom for Open Day reveals. It's a collage. It has a sisters of battle mortifier with a female Iron Maiden sarcophagus front. On the other part of this collage-type image is what looks like a new plastic Shadowsun for Tau. Hoping he shares something for TS soon :sad.:

Edited by Archaeinox

If the detachment benefit doesnt benefit the entire detachment, then I might just check out on this whole thing.

The cults have to be aligned with the new cults. I seriously doubt it will have such a strong connection to 30k.

As far as giving Thousand Sons a "plethora" of tactical options I think that wording is as accurate as the Christmas day "full" reveal.

Yeah, for sure, byrd.

I keep getting hung up on the wording they used.. The terrible, awful, teasing, ambiguous wording.

Hopefully your POWERFUL NEW OPTIONS won't be something you have to give up other abilities for. Still baffles me why they made the Tyranid adaptations take away your warlord trait...

Unfortunately we're just getting deeper and deeper into speculation. It's not our fault. GW definitely overcooked the spoilers and 'reveals'. They should have said nothing, and started the stories/reveals after the New Year since we've had such a large build up to this dry spell. 

Hopefully next week we see something? (I know it seems far away.)