MotF and IF Fire Base

L30n1d4s

This may not survive the next FAQ, but until then I think it is going to be a VERY competitive option for tournament play:

Imperial Fists Successors (Stealthy, Scions of the Forge):

-Captain (with Chapter Master upgrade and "Eye of Hypnoth" Relic)

-Techmarine (Upgraded to Master of the Forge, with "Master the Machine" and "Architect of War" WL Traits)

-3 x Stalker AA Tanks

-3 x Thunderfire Cannons

This provides an exceptional fire base, with the Stalkers able to target most Flyers with a re-rollable BS2+ (even Eldar Flyers, with -2 to Hit, are being hit on 88% of the shots) and, in the Devastator Doctrine, with 6 x S7 AP-2 D3 shots per tank. Additionally, the Thunderfire Cannons can also hit basically any target on a re-rollable 2+ with an average of 8 x S5 AP-2 shots (Dmg 2, if you are firing on a vehicle) that ignore LOS restrictions. Both of these units get re-rolls of 1s to Wound, thanks to the "Eye of Hypnoth." Finally, even against non-FLY units, the MotF boosts the Stalkers back to normal BS3+, making them quite useful in multiple roles.

In terms of survivability, everything gets "free" cover at greater than 12" range, thanks to the Stealthy trait, plus they Ignore AP-1 due to the "Architect of War" WL Trait. The Stalkers are also T8 and double their wounds in terms of their degradation table, making them quite tough to shut down unless you can kill them outright. Finally, the MotF can repair 3 wounds a turn, meaning you can keep the shooting as long as possible.

Finally, these units are quite affordable points-wise, leaving you plenty of room for the rest of your army for Troops, Centurions, Assault Cannon Razorbacks, Aggressors, Dreadnoughts, counter-assault units, more characters, etc.

In the current meta, the ability to efficiently take on a whole spectrum of targets, particularly including FLY units and those hiding out of LOS, while still being effective against "normal" targets is especially useful and this combination of Master of the Forge, Chapter Master, and multiple Stalkers/TFCs I think really doubles down on this philosophy.

Yeah this looks brutal. There are lots of ways to play it too. You basically just take a master of the forge and surround him with as many vehicles as you can fit within 6”. Quite a lot of them are cheap enough to potentially do this with a brigade or double battalion, for plenty of CPs.

I’ve got a techmarine with a conversion beamer that I converted a while back. There’s a pretty strong case for bringing him, though a better option might be to just take the primarch’s wrath, or even the thing that gives him T5 and 4++. He’s likely to attract sniper fire, I expect.

Edited by Mandragola