Dreadful moments always last too long - A Night Lords blog

Master Umbra

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the advice, Kraut! Words of wisdom, as always.

On other news, I have not worked that much on the models because, well... there is this certain game called The Witcher 3 and... Well, suffice to say that I haven't worked that much lately because I was also waiting for the bitz orders to arrive. Speaking of which, do you remember this talk held around the forums about classic models that we would like to see again? Turns out, it ignited a spark within me. After some research, I came up with this:

gallery_186987_15996_11659.jpg

The claws are from an Ad Mech Rustwalker. Even tho they are not as beefy as the classic ones, they do look like the ones from a classic illustration in which a Raptor is sinking his slender claws on a poor guardsman. Problem is that... I didn't order Harken's left foot ^^U!!! So I need to decide if I will go for a cumbersome substitute for it or if I will just order that piece. Color me facepalmed.

• 6 months later...

*Brushes dust off*

Cough, cough!

Ahem, I finally found a shade of blue I like! Introducing my second Astartes ever (later will post a pic side by side with the first one ^^).

gallery_186987_15996_132693.jpg

I still need to work on my blends (yesterday was too damn hot). Anyway, I need to go to the store and buy some more colors. Let me tell you that I am going against the standard look. This will be just one of countless other warbands with its own color scheme. Still need to paint the belt, the legion symbol and some other details (like the whole backpack, duh).

Anyway, I am super excited to have improved so much!

Let me know what you think!

PS: expect a MASSIVE update soon. I haven't been idle conversion-wise...

Excellent work.

I just finished re-reading the Night Lords Omnibus and your Night Lords just ooze atmosphere, super gothic in the "true-horror" vampire way. Like, Event Horizon meets Nosferatu/Hellsing.

Thank you guys for your nice words! Unholy sh*t, @acrowsperch, that's one of the nicest compliments I've ever received! You just wait, because there is plenty more from where that came from.

Ok, here is (part) of the update I promised:

gallery_186987_15996_55720.jpg

gallery_186987_15996_125867.jpg

Yes, that's it! I am going for a green marble effect for the legion symbols! In my mind, bright red doesn't match them too much, and I wanted something way more sinister and ominous, kind of gothic, as @acrowsperch mentioned (mission accomplished, I guess!). But for the life of me, I cannot take a proper picture of the marble without my phone camera adding those annoying glares. I've been tinkering a lot with the camera settings to no avail. Hopefully you get an idea of how it looks.

Anyway, next there is a shot of this marine (2nd ever) right next to my first ever marine, which I painted like five years ago with only four colors. It is a bit obvious due to the patchiness. For a second mini, I think I have improved lots, but there is still a long road ahead.

gallery_186987_15996_203839.jpg

Next up, remember the WIP Raptor at the top of this page? Well, he's still WIP, but here is some progress:

gallery_186987_15996_34539.jpg

gallery_186987_15996_81521.jpg

gallery_186987_15996_23182.jpg

Head is from the new possessed with an Undead vambrace on top to make it slanted and more... pterodactyl-y? I also added some cabling, an antenna from the Lord Discordant, etc. The jumpack is totally customized using many Venomcrawler's pieces, some WF Empire horse armor, and some other bits. Looks quite messy due to the different shadings of plastic and priming, but my aim was to save some money on purchasing a jumpack. However, I admit it is looking a bit too ramshackley right now, so I might just go ahead and order a jumpack :dry.: .

Next, here is some sort of sage or advisor figure in the warband:

gallery_186987_15996_128054.jpg

This is actually a very outdated pic, but I just wanted to show you the WIP. GS has already been applied and some more modifications have been done.

Finally, I retouched both the Lord's weapon and head (I basically removed the "nose" the original head had):

gallery_186987_15996_89188.jpg

Man, I sweated bullets with this rhinoplasty :biggrin.:. I was constantly fearing messing the head beyond redemption.

gallery_186987_15996_5199.jpg

The weapon is mimicking that of the Lord Discordant in some elements (the trident-like appearence, for example). The previous one just looked too Orky, perhaps (some Ork pieces were used, in fact), so I wanted to make it a bit more slender, yet vicious. The difference in width from the two different shaft pieces also bothered me a lot in its previous version. I think this looks way cleaner. I am also quite satisfied with the whole blade section.

Mind you, there is plenty more still to see, but this will do for now :smile.:.

Edited by Master Umbra

And another update! This time, more focused on modelling.

gallery_186987_15996_15867.jpg

gallery_186987_15996_45916.jpg

This is one of my favorite guys from the squad. Yes, that's flayed skin mimicking some sort of bat wings. I am trying to come up with a nice enough background for this guy.

gallery_186987_15996_51558.jpg

Progress on this guy: Shoulder pad chains and pizza cutter buzzsaw made with part of an Ork chain axe.

gallery_186987_15996_11632.jpg

gallery_186987_15996_13884.jpg

gallery_186987_15996_154454.jpg

Remember that saying that with "crisis" means "opportunity"? It happens to be true in this case. On page 1 of this thread, you will see the first version of this guy. Back then, he used to have some wings made out of plasticard. TBH, I wasn't quite happy with them. Flash forward, he eventually fell from the shelf o' shame and those wings broke. A few days before, I had chopped and filed one Imperial horse's armor piece because of that dented patron that kind of resembles some wings. So I kept chopping and filing, and chopping and filing ad infinitum, until I got this pair of wings. I'm quite happy with how it turned out so far.

And that's all for today. I've made some more progress painting-wise (started on the second dude yesterday), but that will be part of a future update.

Thanks!

Thanks guys!

Really like your interpretation and execution of the bat wing style helmets. Not overly cartoonish and more realistic. Are you using tyranid chitin plate bits for these?

Exactly! I don't really like the old resin ones because they are too big. And the Forge World ones are ok, but I don't like the masks. Which leaves me in a "guess I'll do it myself" wasteland.

Bits sources for these are mainly three:

- Age of Sigmar Undead bits
- Blood Bowl Undead bits (this seemed to be my dirty little secret, but now I cannot find them as easily any more)
- Misc.: This varies from random pieces hacked and filed

The last mini falls in the last category. This was a WHF Empire horse head armor heavily chopped and filed):

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KrkAAOSww4ldgEgx/s-l400.jpg

1. I isolated the head piece by chopping it.
2. Then, with a cutter I cleaned the edges.
3. I filed down ALL the plastic beneath so it became like a separate armor piece. This took AGES.
4. I cut the piece in a way that it fit the Astartes' head. I basically removed the "nose" area of the piece.
5. I then split the piece vertically and filed the borders. I sweated bullets during this step.
6. Further filing down of the area around the eye lenses.
7. Pending/Optional: narrowing the width of each wing even more... it is a very delicate step.

As you see... this required lots of effort, so it's maybe not worth it. But I liked the result.

Thanks!

Edited by Master Umbra

I think the end result of all that work speaks for itself as your NL’s look more realistic as the murderous terror troops they are meant to be; and not silly over the top bat winged helmeted caricatures!

(AND thanks for the tutorial along the way!

Hiya!

These are all fantastic conversions, i think you've nailed the macabre nature of the models and I especially like the Seer. Keep at it these are looking great! :thumbsup:

Oooh, that is a huge compliment coming from a vet like you, sir. I feel honored, thanks!

I think the end result of all that work speaks for itself as your NL’s look more realistic as the murderous terror troops they are meant to be; and not silly over the top bat winged helmeted caricatures!
(AND thanks for the tutorial along the way!

Thanks! Yup, I am trying to make them faithful to how I envision these guys. Now I am trying to be cohesive with the paint job, while being competent at it. As for the guide, you're welcome!

Cheers!

Heya, great conversios, really sinister and characterful. What undercoat are you using? I ask as it seems to be quite thick and softening detail on your models somewhat, I can see some sharp edges that are losing their sharpness as they get infilled, if you see what I mean.

Hi Xenith! Yes, I totally get what you mean. I am using Army Painter. I have actually stripped some models already. I think it is more related to my technique than to the actual primer, tbh.

Thanks for your feedback!

Hi, that may be the issue. I have a mix of sprays. I will never use army painter for detailed infantry models, it's way too thick and clogs detail when I use it. I've tried it a couple of times on 3rd ed plastics which are low detail, like hormagaunts and it was ok, but not around the eyes. I use on vehicles though as it's good coverage and flat panels dont care about thick paint. I use straight GW sprays for infantry - maybe give it a go?

Edited by Xenith

Hi, that may be the issue. I have a mix of sprays. I will never use army painter for detailed infantry models, it's way too thick and clogs detail when I use it. I've tried it a couple of times on 3rd ed plastics which are low detail, like hormagaunts and it was ok, but not around the eyes. I use on vehicles though as it's good coverage and flat panels dont care about thick paint. I use straight GW sprays for infantry - maybe give it a go?

Seconding this. Army Painter seems to go on waaaay too thick on Infantry models, but is perfectly fine on larger models like Vehicles/Monsters.

Ok, update:

I just went ahead and started stripping everything.

This, along the fact that I am somehow getting a glossy finish to my minis made me just go "F*** it". I am re-starting everything. It is kind of frustrating, to be honest, but I'll persist until I make this right up to a minimum standard. Besides, it's just 14 models or so.

Again, thank you for your feedback! If these guys end up looking decent, it will be thanks to you!

Cheers!

Ok, it's done. Not without a fair amount of drama:

gallery_186987_15996_119934.jpg

This is pretty much what remains of my Lord after receiving a point-blank plasma cannon shot stripping the priming. Almost all GS work is gone, along with all those tiiiiiiiny little bitsy claws, spikes, etc. I had kind of a crisis after this, but I think this is for the best. Just like with the weapon, I will improve upon his previous version. I have already ordered a bunch of stuff (one of the swords of the double-sword wielding guy went, literally, down the drain while stripping him...). Let's move on to more happy things:

Progress on the sage:

gallery_186987_15996_10501.jpg

[/url]

gallery_186987_15996_230612.jpg

gallery_186987_15996_131221.jpg

Not overly happy with the spike on top of the shoulder pad (hard to see in the pic due to my funky phone camera compensation)... I think I will remove it.

gallery_186987_15996_83063.jpg

I am quite happy with the back pack. Of course, that poor bast*rd is still alive. I was thinking in doing some further conversion work to the head, either adding some eyes or adding a vox unit so screams are amplified.

Next:

"JOTAROOO! I wonder if your Star Platinum can manage to deflect so many knives!"

gallery_186987_15996_112204.jpg

gallery_186987_15996_83556.jpg

And finally, just some minor head conversion (WIP):

gallery_186987_15996_28732.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by Master Umbra

Urgh, it sucks when we have to take previously converted models apart again, doesn't it? I feel for you!

On a more positive note, the sage is looking absolutely fantastic! Fun fact, I am currently using that very same set of DG Mk. III armour ;) The guy holding the batarang (?!) is looking really promising as well -- it's fantastic how you manage to layer some NL specific iconography on top of the already very detailed new CSM models. Excellent work!

Hey!

Man, I love your conversions, they look great. What Tyranid kit do you use to get the armor plates you use for your batwings?

Thanks dude! That is quite a compliment ^^. Oh, you mean the shoulder pad ones? Those are actually the shoulder pads of some Blood Bowl Undead! I just cut them from the armor frame in an angle. For your pleasure, here is a choppin' & hackin' guide of the kit:

gallery_186987_15996_8914.jpg

Red lines are the angles/pieces I cut from the mini itself. As you see, plenty of stuff to take! I also use some of the spare bones.

Sadly, the kit is becoming a bit high on demand... Or maybe they just don't re-stock the bitz sites as regularly.

Urgh, it sucks when we have to take previously converted models apart again, doesn't it? I feel for you!

On a more positive note, the sage is looking absolutely fantastic! Fun fact, I am currently using that very same set of DG Mk. III armour :wink: The guy holding the batarang (?!) is looking really promising as well -- it's fantastic how you manage to layer some NL specific iconography on top of the already very detailed new CSM models. Excellent work!

Thanks for your support!

Haha, yes! I just saw it! It looks awesome, btw! The head you chose rocks! Oh, and believe me, cutting away those chest spikes hurt me a lot ^^. It was quite the jump of faith, hehe.

As for the batarang, I am not sure if I learned previously about Konrad's Widowmakers, or if I stumbled upon them as a proof of vindication (Legion-pun intended). Fun fact: I did them by chopping the two spikes from the knot-top of a Drukhari Archon and glued them together in a reverse fashion.

https://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/dark-eldar-archon-head-p-6870.html

Oh, btw! Modeling/converting the hand so it held that throwing knife was a pain! I had to do some extensive conversion work, because the hand was originally a clenched fist.

Oh, nice! This is an awesome set, you'll see. I am thinking in getting one, actually, but must resist the temptation, lol. Looking forward to your conversions! Your force is already looking superb.

Hey!

I did some progress on the Lord:

gallery_186987_15996_72254.jpg

gallery_186987_15996_65726.jpg

gallery_186987_15996_41987.jpg

gallery_186987_15996_148069.jpg

gallery_186987_15996_108678.jpg

Some thoughts:

- The legs: I have reworked the feet entirely and just went for straight-off-the-box Havoc feet. I will do the same with the shin guards, plus conversion. I was fearing that his previous version would be too difficult to paint, as there weren't many bare pieces of plating to actually paint in blue. I guess I was going for something like this:

13665d2bc85bd04bc3bf2a4e31682cf1.jpg

Like, there are tons of bling there. However, when I was actually planning the paint scheme for this guy, I was just wondering what should I paint in blue. I am aware that there are still tons of details that I need to plan carefully. Hopefully, the dark-tile blue + black + brass + silver + green marble will look good. It has to!

- The chest: I am not entirely convinced about the tip of the Corpse Grinder horn I used to fill in the gap left by the two pieces of the gorget. I had kind of ruined the original piece, so I had to come up with something. Thoughts? I was thinking in some sort of gothic-looking piece... Or maybe, you know, will just have to redo the whole chest all over again.

- The shoulder pad: Oh boy, I am so happy with this new version! There was something off about the previous one... Maybe the original face I sculpted looked too orky. This is mimicking a previous conversion I did for one of his Elite Guard, but I liked that so much, that I needed to do something similar. I still need to fix many areas with GS.

- The cape: GS got ruined, so I need to resculpt the transitions.

- The Arms: The left one is not pictured, but I was thinking in revamping it. I have already ordered some pieces. It's funny that I just read some harsh comments regarding the lion motivs on Stormcast Eternals... cough. Anyway, they have maybe too much triming going on, so, considering what I said above about the paintjob, I will probably streamline those a bit.

- The plasma pistol: I don't know, but lately I have been thinking in giving him another weapon. Maybe a combiweapon? Twin-linked Bolter? Combi-melta? Combi-plasma? Thoughts?

Cheers!

Edited by Master Umbra