Starting dark angels, a few questions

Hellrender

Hi all,

I hvae been taking a break for a while but after seeing the new dark angels preator in terminator armour i just had to start a 3rd legion.

But i have a few questions.

1) which books do i buy?

2) is the terran greatblade worth it?

3) can i take acid bolt shells on punisher heavy bolters?

4) what book lists that punishers can be in squadrons of 2?

5) do we expect new red books soon?

1) Book 6 currently. Though the next Black book will have full DA rules in

2) yeah sometimes, regular marines can't take FNP and it only takes one failed 2+ save for it to cut down a Mook!

3) No, only infantry, bikes and Dreadnoughts can

4) I believe it's book 8

5) Not soon no. I'd say at *least* a year for a generic legion army list book and even longer for a legions book

It would be game breaking if they did allow every HB to take it. It wouldn't even be funny.

For number 2, no. It's just an expensive gimmick to try and sneak the 1 instant death hit in at high initiative. A srg in Artificer Armor eating the challenge can shut the Praetor down, as you statistically need 6 wounds to beat the armor. The only exception would be if you end up playing against Mechanicum often, but the token Paragon Blade still does the job in that case.

I would say that if you are choosing between a paragon blade and a terranic greatsword, choose the paragon. But on consuls/centurions, the greatsword has its place (especially if you end up playing Mechanicum and have some rad grenades ready).

For number 2, no. It's just an expensive gimmick to try and sneak the 1 instant death hit in at high initiative. A srg in Artificer Armor eating the challenge can shut the Praetor down, as you statistically need 6 wounds to beat the armor. The only exception would be if you end up playing against Mechanicum often, but the token Paragon Blade still does the job in that case.

Not true at all.

Actually it is the best "astartes size" cc weapon bar divining blade in the game vs mechs. Unlike paragon blade it wounds easier and kills any battle automata (except thanatar, but you shoot it anyway) in one strike. Combined with rad grenades and ravenwing protocols bonus (reroll to wound vs t5 or more) your praetor can kill more thallax/castellax/domitar than most of the primarchs in one round. My record is 4 castellax on the charge with ravenwing praetor only. I think it applies to demons too, but unfortunately I'm yet to play vs ruinstorm.

It's not all round, must take SWORD OF DOOM but a useful tool, that you take vs specific armies/targets in mind. It's not useless vs Legions either - striking at initiative, wounding on 2+, ignoring 3+ saves and feel no pain (which somtimes is quite important). Not to mention things like Gal Vorbak or Ogryns will suffer much.

Challenges - That's Why you have your own sergeants, especially when TH or PFs are concerned. This, and you can always take a backup power axe on your HQ.

TGS also costs the same as power sword,so super cheap and can be taken by centurions, praetor can have paragon blade if you want to duel vs AP2 targets.

Edited by rendingon1+