Warbringer's Iron Warriors

Warbringer

Started work on next years force, which I've decided is going to be Chaos Space Marines, and specifically Iron Warriors, I enjoyed the Black Legion but it was causing me pain with my carpel tunnel

I had a look through my books and book covers for some artwork and I had settled on World Eaters, however looking at the parts I need to complete the look it was getting very pricy.

Looking back through my phone notes when I was originally staring CSM and picked black legion I had saved lots of details of Iron Warriors as my second choice.

This was one of the Art References I had. Honsou - Warmaster of the Iron Warriors.

Honsou Reference Art

SO i brought a load of bits and realise that Mk3 Armour is small now. Death Guard have Mk3 armour and are near Primaris sized so I brought a few of them and got my saw going.

Here is what I'm up to so Far.

HonsouWIP

I've removed the weapon from the hand and made the fist a bit tidier. I've also spend like 2 hours making the arm sit in the slot by using a Dremel to open out the hole and done some green stuff on the legs.

Also sanded and glued the front plates and chains to the model

I posted up to Twitter earlier on and its got a good reception so far and I'm the kind of converter and painter that will take shortcuts but I won't be doing that now based on the following feedback from Twitter from a guy with a cool name! 

TwitterFeedback

• 3 weeks later...

That one is solid as well.  I think the Mk 3 is the way to go though.  Just a much more brutal looking armour.  Plus I don't see Iron Warriors with that much daemonic detail on the armour.  

Totally agreed i was looking at Krakendoom's deathguard and they're a bigger size than the newer CSM stuff too.

Honsou is a half breed and I think the cobbled together armour but obviously functioning really suits.

Looking really good!

I only have one minor quibble, and it's really minor:

Honsou's bionic eye is blue.

I had a real dilemma with the eye and i have considered re-painting it as I will be painting blue lenses for my iron warriors.

I was using this art work as the reference for painting and its got a red eye so I sort have accepted it for now. I'm going to see how it looks when I've painted more of the force 

375px-Warhammer_40k_Honsou_new_big.jpg

Honsou Reference Art

Edited by Warbringer

That Honsou conversion is so close to the artwork! Fantastic job! I's probably keep the red eye, simply because it seems more menacing :wink:

Thanks very much! I'm planning out an master of executioners currently so looking forward to adding that model next :) 

Also planning on trying out some small conversion ideas :)

• 5 months later...
I managed to finish my Warsmith conversion.

This is Ferrox the Warbringer

I really enjoyed this model the build and the converting was fun, I've really enjoyed using the deathguard blightlord terminator kit to get that bulky old school aesthetic 

I also am happy with my green stuff work on the middle part of the torso and around the chains and now its painted it all fits into the look.

My painting has had a marked improvement over the last year to the point i can tell I've improved. I've been focusing on certain parts of the model following some advice I received around painting the areas that get all the attention to a better level than some of the surrounding parts will make the model look painted to an overall better standard.

Warbringer

WarbringerRear

WarbringerRigh

WarbringerSide

Topdown

Base

Excellent work on Ferrox.

Thanks Mate

I'm really happy with him, before the heatwave hit in the UK I had started a terminator squad and have a couple of forgeworld units I want to get on with.

I'm working on terminators and realised I hate batch painting.

Here is my current iron warriors patrol ready for 9th edition.

Patrol

I've got a few more goodies in the future too. Iron Circle Automata and Kytan Ravager planned.

Edited by Warbringer

• 3 weeks later...
Finished my terminator squad.

Was hoping to have finished them a couple of weeks ago but real life has reduced my hobby time to virtually nothing. They were fun overall, realised I don't enjoy batch painting but only have to do it one more time with some havoc's everything else I've got planned can be painted on their own :D

Looking forward to finding out how many points I've got painted now :D

Terminator Squad

Terminator 1

Terminator 2

Terminator 3

Terminator 4

Terminator 5

They look really intimidating, good job!

Thanks! I'm happy with how they turned out have taken 4 weeks due to RL issues but only a couple of hours a week so happy with the result for the input :D

• 2 months later...
I decided to build another Honsou after seeing lots more people using the Havoc kit as a basis of the build, I thought I would also add a chosen squad in with the other characters in the books.

Honsou

HonsouArt

Honsou

Honsou1

Honsou2

He got shown on the Hobby Round-up too.

HonsouWarCom

I started painting and started with the Head as I like to get the character sorted.

HonsouHead

Grendel

Grendel

Grendel1

Vaanes

Vaanes

Vaanes1

The Newborn

Newborn

Newborn2

Space Wolf

Svengar1