Adding character to Ultramarines (advice)

Subtleknife

After 6-7 different iterations of blue I have finally achieved the blue I want on my test mini (if only I could nail the gold...I suspect that will be another 6 iterations). My Ultramarines army is very grey at this point until I get the rest of the colours sorted. In the mean time I want to add some ultramarine themed additions using greenstuff to the minis. Partly because Primaris whilst lovely sculpts are pretty generic and I want this army to have some flavour. Now for other chapters this is easy you go with scales, wolf pelts or chains etc. What do you all do to add ultramarine editions. Any pictures would be awesome. I have been thinking about the roman/Greek theme. One idea is adding pteruges and the phalera. Any tutorials for roman or Greek themed stuff that would fit would be appreciated. Finally, does anyone know where I can find the artwork/concept sketch GW did a while ago for ultras back when they were thinking of making them a bit more unique? I believe one had a nid skull on the shoulder pad and the ancient had a animal cloak like a roman legionary.

If anyone is interested btw the blue scheme I went for is in the link.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultramarines/comments/diau91/blue_test_scheme_for_my_ultramarines_c_c/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Edited by Subtleknife

• 2 weeks later...

The images you are looking for were done by artist Mark Gibbons. Early 00's. Hard to find most of them now.

He did a number of 'Nid Psychers, Honor Guard, and character models.

I have found you one of those, thanks to Robbie MacNieven's Tumblr being something of a unsorted Warhammer Art Gallery.

https://a-40k-author.tumblr.com/post/178862009941/by-mg-artworks-a-pair-of-sketches-produced-for/amp

Yes, Pteruges and similiar stuff could work out well.

I really like the idea of a Captain or other Officer having a fur cloak of a more luxurious creature (think Leopard or similiar fur pattern) - as a contrast to the rugged furs of the Space Wolves or Salamander Dragon hides.

I think another thing you could play up is that the Ultramarines are so prominent and basically have fought alongside anyone in the Imperium - and against almost any enemy too.

So Medals and Trophies!

Your Veterans or Sergeants can wear some Medals and Memmorabilia that are clearly linked to other Chapters/Imperial Forces

For example: SW Medals from the wulfen kit, Templar purity seals from their Upgrade Sprue, something with a fleur-de-lis from the Sisters?

Maybe even stuff like a Blood Angels Chainsword, a Space Wolves Stormbolter or so that were granted as gifts.

Smaller Areas on Banners or the like could be dedicated to other Chapter Symbols/colouring pattern.

Maybe you can find an eradicated Ultramarines Successor whose rugged and worn-out Battle-Standard your Company has found and now carries into battle to honour their legacy?

Same goes with Trophies and remnants of dead enemies on the base.

I think something like a Vanguard Squad, in highly decorated armor, with Tyranid Skulls or Ork Skulls as trophies would look really ace.

(Basically Tyrannic War Veterans lookswise)

Also consider the little shoulder shields or knee caps can be used for decorative markings that do not necessarily need to be related to the Ultramarines.

Quite a few of your Primaris, especially higher ranks, could wear the grey Chevron (I think?) that the "Unnumbered sons"/Primaris wore during the Indomitus Crusade somewhere on their armor.

Dunno if it would be too clishee but you could give Captains/Lieutenants small books on their belts - to hint at them carrying a copy of the Codex Astartes.

And i know there's a recent kit that had some... but i can't remember right now.

On one hand I also want to advise you that "If everyone is special, no one is" - but on the other hand, that could look reaaaally amazing and could be a tactical factor against enemies.

Luckily, I saved the concept sketches of Cassius from back in 2004.

sml_gallery_26_7488_64201.jpgsml_gallery_26_7488_3000.jpgsml_gallery_26_7488_16513.jpg

(click on the images for full size versions)

Oddly, though, I didn't save all of those concept sketches, so I don't have the other Tyrannic War Vet images or the Ancient. :dry.:

Thanks guys for the input. Yeah the fur idea on the standard bearer was definitely something I was thinking like the roman legionnaires. I hadn't thought about the medals from different imperial organisations, I do like that, I think I may steal that one.

If anyone has any good greenstuff tutorials for animal fur etc that would be great as that is the one area I consider myself a novice in.

Love those devastators. Especially the gun-slinging, shoulder-missile marine! If only...

Edit: now that I think about it, he bears a striking resemblance to Boltstorm Aggressors.

Edited by Dumah

I love that honor guard with the shield... I may need to convert a model up like that!

Also, I wonder if that missile launcher devastator concept had any influence on the design of the aggressors?

Or maybe the Centurions. Similar launcher design, just moved from the shoulders to the chest.

Hobbit do you have the hive mind psychers as well?

I've got both the Hive-Mind Librarian and the Hive-Mind Psyker, but I didn't post them because RikuEru posted a link for them in his post.

I can post them if people want.

Edited by Toxichobbit

Thanks ToxicHobbit. There were other images to this series, I recall some vases and other terrain type items in MG's sketch book, but could never get good pictures of them. When I flipped through it at Chicago Gamesday cell phones did not have good cameras.

Thanks ToxicHobbit. There were other images to this series, I recall some vases and other terrain type items in MG's sketch book, but could never get good pictures of them. When I flipped through it at Chicago Gamesday cell phones did not have good cameras.

Ohhh, I never knew that. Now I feel like I've not caught all the Pokemon.

Sadly I never got to see his sketchbook in person. I do have Jes Goodwin's one that BL published decades ago though ("The Gothic and the Eldritch", if anyone is looking for it online). It's one of my most treasured GW books.

ToxicHobbit, The Gothic and the Eldritch is indeed a goldmine for Jess work.

Did you pick up the Eldar artbooks they dropped last year? As I recall Goodwin's work was prominently featured in that as well.

Use of their art as a commodity has always been a weakness with GW.

Good luck to the OP on your quest to create memorable Ultramarines. Please share your results once completed.

ToxicHobbit, The Gothic and the Eldritch is indeed a goldmine for Jess work.

Did you pick up the Eldar artbooks they dropped last year? As I recall Goodwin's work was prominently featured in that as well.

Use of their art as a commodity has always been a weakness with GW.

Good luck to the OP on your quest to create memorable Ultramarines. Please share your results once completed.

Unfortunately no. I didn't have any hobby budget last year because I decided to change careers and put myself through university. So I missed them (along with pretty much every other release).