New Raptors inbound

Entry1

Hey everyone!!

Its been quite a while so I figured I would post some photos to get me back into the swing of things.  My wife surprised me with LVO tickets so I have been scrambling to get a semi competitive army together last minute.  I will post a list soon but I wanted to start with some photos. They are still a work in progress but all that is left is small details, weathering and finishing touches on the base.  Thanks for looking, CC much welcomed 

Cheers, 

Brian 

LT w/Teeth of Terra, Shrike and Captain 

IMG 1776

IMG 1790

WIP of Libby and Chappy 

IMG 1779

WIP squad of Assault Cents 

IMG 1789

IMG 1788

WIP of TFC

IMG 1784

Finished Sniper Scouts 

IMG 1783

Finished Aggressors 

IMG 1780

That Thunderfire Cannon.  Yeah man :thumbsup:  I mean, it's all really nice, but … yeah man.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!!   Race I'm not sure if your comment is sarcasm about the Thunder Fire Cannons or  not.  :biggrin.:  The model is from Kromlech because it was easier to find and IMHO it looks a lot cooler then the original model.  I have some Eliminators in the paint que that I'm trying to get table top ready so I can get some practice games in before its too late.  Also I'm trying to button down a brigade and was thinking of adding a unit of infiltrators too help with board control.  One brigade has three scout squads with sniper rifles and the other brigade has two five man squads of Intercessors and a full 10 man squad of intercessors with auto bolt rifles and a thunder hammer.  I'll post a list when I get some extra time. I was considering taking out a 5 man unit of Intercessors but was wondering if anyone had any  positive/negative experience using Infiltrators.   

Thanks again, 

Brian 

Infiltrators are kind of a mixed bag.

Their bolter range is enough (given their deployment) and Concealed Positions on primaris infantry gives you a resilient unit for board control.

But their key function, denying deep strike, only works on armies that rely on such tricks - deep strike charges, Da Jump, Mawlocs, that sort of thing.
In return, the unit is damn expensive - if your opponent doesn't have any deep strike, you could have gone for the cheaper and more versatile Incursors.

They're absolutely worth their points when your opponent uses those tricks, but if not, they are needlessly expensive. Either way, you can get the models cheap via Shadowspear leftovers, so having them in your collection is never a bad idea.

Looks great! :tu:

Man I wish my missus bought me tournament tickets she want even indulge my plastic crack addiction

<_<

I've contemplated the Kromlech TFC too

Yours looks great might bump it up my priority list now

Infiltrators are kind of a mixed bag.

Their bolter range is enough (given their deployment) and Concealed Positions on primaris infantry gives you a resilient unit for board control.

But their key function, denying deep strike, only works on armies that rely on such tricks - deep strike charges, Da Jump, Mawlocs, that sort of thing.

In return, the unit is damn expensive - if your opponent doesn't have any deep strike, you could have gone for the cheaper and more versatile Incursors.

They're absolutely worth their points when your opponent uses those tricks, but if not, they are needlessly expensive. Either way, you can get the models cheap via Shadowspear leftovers, so having them in your collection is never a bad idea.

I've tossed the idea of using Incursors w/haywire mines and pairing that with "Deadly Prize" Stratagem to camp/defend objectives but not sure if that comes off as gimicky.  At the same time fellow marines are popular and I think the anti deep strike aura would help against Blood Angels, White Scars and fellow Ravenguard deep strikes.  All food for thought I guess, problem is I don't get many games in and wont have have time for much play testing.  

Looks great! :thumbsup:

Man I wish my missus bought me tournament tickets she want even indulge my plastic crack addiction

:dry.:

I've contemplated the Kromlech TFC too

Yours looks great might bump it up my priority list now

Ha!! Well my missus wants to go to Vegas she has never been so she may have an ulterior motive!! :teehee:

Yeah the Kromlech stuff is really nice I'd recommend it for sure, the only draw back is its non GW so it limits where and when you can use it.  Thanks for the help!

Edited by Entry1

I've tossed the idea of using Incursors w/haywire mines and pairing that with "Deadly Prize" Stratagem to camp/defend objectives but not sure if that comes off as gimicky.  At the same time fellow marines are popular and I think the anti deep strike aura would help against Blood Angels, White Scars and fellow Ravenguard deep strikes.  All food for thought I guess, problem is I don't get many games in and wont have have time for much play testing.

Gimmicky? I don't think it does, it's just using unit and chapter-specific options in concert. The BA smash captain takes up WL trait, relic and half a dozen command points - what some might consider gimmicky is indeed damn effective. And doubling up on mines means using Incursors as intended, just taking it further than other chapters can.

Incursors and Infiltrators have, in general, slightly different purposes.

Infiltrators are designed to prevent an opponent from reaching a certain area with those deployment options that go around your army, and get off some shots while sitting there. Once the enemy units reach Infiltrators (by whatever means), those guys don't do any more than their base profile permits. Depending on your opponent's list, their special ability could be either strategy-breaking, or simply ignored.

Incursors are in part designed to hold an area against units that will enter that area by any method. Deep strike, high movement, transport, Fly, whatever - if it happens to arrive at the Incursors' position, they take damage by the mine. Being in cover during the approach doesn't help. When charging the Incursors, they get hit back harder than usual. It's not an impressive buff in every direction, but it does add up after all.

As a side note - the mine is auto-include IMO. There is always a path/lane/objective in the center that will be entered by enemy units over the course of the game. You inflict an average of 2 MW for 10p, meaning 1W for 5p. There are damn few units worth 5p per wound, often it's 10+, meaning unless the unit gets killed before placing the mine or you roll a 1, it will more than make back its points.

Both have their purpose, and currently, I tend to have one squad of Infiltrators to keep safe vital areas/units from deep strike if necessary, and fill up with Incursors to hold the areas that will certainly be entered. Though my current approach heavily hinges on Concealed Deployment (and similar) to place large portions of my army in the midfield before the game starts, both Incursors and Infiltrators don't use up the other options that I can then use on units that can't do it by default.

WOW!!  You really make a lot of solid points about the Incursors, when I originally saw the haywire mines and RG Stratagem I thought they were a hidden gem.  What's weird is you never really hear much about the unit but at the same time I've been out of the loop.  I definitely agree the mine is an auto include, the thought was to camp an objective and just dig in like tics between cover and minus to hit.  Plus the smoke grenade and minus to hit stratagem if you get really desperate.   My other thought on deep strike deterrent is large units of Aggressors and Cents auspex scanning whatever drops in.  They have larges bases and quite a substantial foot print and if you add the 12" from the stratagem you get pretty good board coverage.   The problem is we have several useful stratagems in the tool box just lacking the CP for all of them so you really have to find that pivotal moment to get the most mileage.   

Here is my current list of what I was thinking about running, this is all currently built and painted to ITC standards and table top ready.

Thanks for looking,

Brian

**Chapter Selection** Raven Guard

+ HQ +

Captain [6 PL, 143pts, -1CP] Feigned Flight, Jump Pack, Shadowmaster, Storm shield, Stratagem: Master of the Trifold Path, Thunder hammer, Warlord

Kayvaan Shrike [8 PL, 130pts]

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [4 PL, 65pts]

. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Sniper rifle

. 4x Scout w/Sniper Rifle: 4x Sniper rifle

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [57 PL, 1,030pts, -1CP] ++

+ HQ +

Chaplain [5 PL, 92pts, -1CP] 6. Canticle of Hate, Jump Pack, Litany of Hate, Master of Ambush, Storm bolter, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

Lieutenants [6 PL, 80pts]

. Lieutenant: Chainsword, Jump Pack, Storm bolter

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 189pts] Auto Bolt Rifle

. 9x Intercessor

. Intercessor Sergeant: Power fist

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 86pts] Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Stalker Bolt Rifle

. 4x Intercessor

. Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 86pts] Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Stalker Bolt Rifle

. 4x Intercessor

. Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [10 PL, 185pts]: 4x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant

. Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Centurion Assault Squad [16 PL, 312pts]

Centurion: Hurricane bolter

. . Flamers: 2x Flamer

. Centurion: Hurricane bolter

.Centurion: Hurricane bolter

. Centurion Sergeant: Hurricane bolter

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [25 PL, 501pts] ++

+ HQ +

Librarian in Phobos Armour [5 PL, 101pts]: Camo cloak, Force sword

+ Heavy Support +

Eliminator Squad [4 PL, 72pts]

. Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt sniper rifle, Camo cloak

. 2x Eliminator with Bolt Sniper: 2x Bolt sniper rifle, 2x Camo cloak

Thunderfire Cannon [4 PL, 92pts]

. Techmarine Gunner

. . Servo-harness: Flamer, Plasma cutter

. Techmarine Gunner

++ Total: [108 PL, -2CP, 1,999pts] ++

Edited by Entry1

WIP of my Intercessor Sergeants 

C15AFA7D 7F69 4E2A 9938 8A5DA115E528

6712CCBA 6BC2 48CF A386 D56D9836329E

EECF5E0F C8AC 4BE9 BA01 CAEA439CEF4B

8382FED4 5F29 4605 9512 06F5D187DCC4

My second TFC and WIP Eliminators!! 

7890477A A232 4279 93FC 974D131412B2

EE945B2D A221 40F9 93E7 B8EA4F635A12

945F4435 0EFE 4864 9F20 EFE6DB418E7E

The Eliminators have been super fun to paint and build so far, everything is ready to hit the table top and I'm going to the store Saturday for a practice game.  Now I just have to work on one squad at a time with some finishing touches.  Thanks for looking, CC is more then welcome.  

Brian 

• 3 weeks later...

Tweaked the list a little bit with some infiltrators I feel like they add a lot of utility with mirror matches, the return of blood angels, and some of the new Chaos builds and abilities. This is what I will be taking to LVO so any feed back will be much appreciated.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [27 PL, 503pts, -1CP] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Raven Guard

+ HQ +

Captain [6 PL, 143pts, -1CP]: Feigned Flight, Jump Pack, Shadowmaster, Storm shield, Stratagem: Master of the Trifold Path, Thunder hammer, Warlord

+ Troops +

Infiltrator Squad [5 PL, 110pts]: 4x Infilltrator, Infiltrator Sergeant

Scout Squad [4 PL, 55pts]

. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Combat knife

. 4x Scout w/Combat Knife

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [57 PL, 996pts, -1CP] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Chaplain [5 PL, 90pts, -1CP]: 6. Canticle of Hate, Bolt pistol, Jump Pack, Litany of Hate, Master of Ambush, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

Lieutenants [6 PL, 80pts]

. Lieutenant: Chainsword, Jump Pack, Storm bolter

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 186pts]: Bolt rifle

. 9x Intercessor

. Intercessor Sergeant: Thunder hammer

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 85pts]: Stalker Bolt Rifle

. 4x Intercessor

. Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +

Centurion Assault Squad [16 PL, 260pts]

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

+ Heavy Support +

. Techmarine Gunner

. Techmarine Gunner

++ Total: [109 PL, -2CP, 2,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Overall, looks like a great list that takes advantage of a lot of the RG strengths and also leverages some of the better units that SM currently have access to. 

The only thing that I see that might be lacking a bit is ranged anti-tank capacity (between the Smash Captain, Shrike, the Aggressors, and the Assault Centurions, you have plenty of melee anti-tank, it would seem).

A suggestion is to drop the Librarian and the two Infiltrator squads, netting you 320 points back.

You can then get two more "bare bones" Scout squads for 110 points (to maintain your two battalions) and fold the three Eliminators and two TFCs into the current battalions (since you have one less HQ now). 

With the remaining 210 points you can get a squad of 3 Devastator Centurions with Grav Guns and Hurricane Bolters. Not only does this give you even more anti-infantry Dakka (36 x S4 shots a turn at 24" from the Hurricane Bolters), but it also gives you 12 x S5 AP-3 DmgD3 (against 3+/2+ save targets, like vehicles). With buffs from your Chaplain and the "Grav Amplification" Strat, these Centurions can happily kill a "Rhino Equivalent" vehicle every turn by themselves (or mulch a squad of Primaris infantry), even when your melee units haven't reached combat yet.

Perhaps more importantly, this causes even more dilemmas for your opponent.... since you can choose to Master of Ambush one unit and deep strike the other two with Strats, now he has to contend with either an Aggressor squad starting near his lines and both an Assault Centurion and Devastator Centurion squad coming in from Reserve, or you can Master of Ambush one of the Centurion squads up (based on the situation) and then bring in the Aggressors and the other Centurion unit.

You could even Master of Ambush up the max squad of Intercessors with the TH and then put all three of these units into DS Reserve.... basically, by adding another powerful threat unit, in this case one that can threaten armor and heavy infantry at up to 24" range, you make life a lot harder for your opponent (or, if he does not respond well to your playing, you make life a lot easier for yourself, as you are able to get asymmetric advantages over him, which is what the RG/Raptors are all about in terms of both fluff and gameplay).

Anyway, just a thought about the current iteration of your list.... like I said, I think it looks quite good overall.

NOTE: This list idea does mean you are down to 13 CPs from 14 CP in your current list, so a little hit there, not to mention the loss of your Psyker defense/offense with no more Librarian, so that is a pretty substantial Con to the plan. Also, I realize you just added the Infiltrators to help against deep strikers, so you would lose them as well, but as described above, the ability to overload threats against your opponent might be worth it in the long run.

Edited by L30n1d4s

Hey L30 thanks for the feed back its much appreciated!! Its funny you bring up the Devastator Centurions because over the last few weeks I have thought about shoe horning them into the list but just wasn't sure where to trim the fat.   The only other problem with that is I don't have the models and LVO is quickly approaching.  I do have a unit of Devastators with Grav Cannons and cherub I used with my old Lias Issodon build I ran in the beginning of 8th.  They would come with more Grav shots but I feel like they would be a one hit wonder and they would be picked up as fast as  put them down.   I could easily add them and wouldn't need the Drop Pod to get them into position which is a nice luxury.   Dropping the infiltrators would be a tough pill to swallow because I feel like deep strike threats are becoming more prevalent again, maybe that is just me.  I don't play regularly and barely have time for practice games so sharing your experiences about them would be valuable information.  I will get a game in this Saturday and have a small RTT coming up in two week ends to get some reps in.  Thanks for the help and look forward to any further feedback. 

Thanks,

Brian 

Personally I think your AT is fine. For these types of lists, melee is the anti tank method of attack.

I like your list a lot, the only change I can see is the Smash Captain

I feel like The Imperium's Sword is a better choice than Feigned Flight (I also like Swift and Deadly more than Feigned Flight as well). I also don't see where you put your free relic, which I would MC the Thunder Hammer on the Smash Cap.

Good luck at LVO :) 

Thanks for the advice Captain Vyper! I don’t know why I never even gave the Imperium Sword second thought that’s brilliant esp after MC the Thammer. I guess I got tunnel vision on all the RG warlord traits. My thought process with feigned flight was bouncing around the back field preventing over watch once I landed in combat tying one unit up and then going to another next turn with armies like Tau. The other relic I thought about was putting the Teeth of Terra on the Lieutenant to give him a little more punching power. The nice thing about marines I can pick my relics and traits depending on matchup. I’m not too worried about win/loss at LVO more so the experience and having fun with like minded people. But at same time I would like to have an efficient army with a lot of tactical options. Next year my goal is to be more active in the competitive scene while focusing on the ITC Hobby track.

EDIT: HAPPY NEWS YEARS EVERYONE!!

Edited by Entry1

Very cool list Entry1. I'm pretty sure it will perform as you expect. I've been playtesting my Raptors in the past 3-4 weeks and I've had a lot of success with Assault Centurions with meltaguns. With those, the Cents become like swiss-army knives and will plug any hole in your battle plan depending on matchups.

Since you're going to a large tournament, I think you should keep the Librarian in the list somehow. You can wreck a player's plan to ruin with that guy equipped with the Reliquary of Gathalamor. Even if it's only working for a turn, this can make a big difference against lists that relies on psychic powers to be effective. Also, I don't see any eligible character for Ex Tenebris. From my experience, you're missing out on one of the coolest and most effective Relics available to Space Marines.

Anyway, good luck, I hope you have fun and place well at LVO.

Yeah I had plans for a Phobos Lieutenant with Ex Tenebris because the Phobos Armor Units have some synergy with Shrike. I ended up pulling him for the Jump Pack LT because of the added mobility and the jump pack also synergizes with Shrike, also my LT with jump pack is fully painted.  I really like Ex Tenebris over Teeth of Terra as well but I just can find the added point to pay for the Phobos and everything fits so well in the list points wise.  I agree with your thoughts Libby plus the no over watch power and redeploy power is nice in a pinch when I can pull it off, just wish it was more reliable.   Thanks for all the feed back guys, it will give my plenty of options for next season when I have time to round out the list.  If anyone is at LVO come say hello and the first drink is on me!  :biggrin.:

While I’m not a fan of the cost of Infiltrators over Incursors and would make the Int Sgt’’ Thunder Hammer my first cut if looking for points to sneak in Ex Tenebris .... I think it’s a very solid list. My thoughts is reviewing it at the next level.

Generally how do you expect to attack the ITC objectives and what Secondaries do you see this list excelling at? This would be with the assumption you’re going to go second. My thought is with double battalions always plan for going second, hope for going first.

Nice to see a fellow Colorado resident and Raptor/RG player. Your army is quite the inspiration of a collection. How has that last fare for you since you last posted it? I have never been to an LVO or any ITC events; so please post your update and experience using your list.

Hey guys thanks for all the feed back its much appreciated, here is the final iteration of my list:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [30 PL, 497pts] ++

+ HQ +

Captain [6 PL, 143pts]: Jump Pack, Storm shield, Thunder hammer, Warlord

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [4 PL, 57pts]

. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Combat knife, Storm bolter

. 4x Scout w/Boltgun

Scout Squad [4 PL, 57pts]

. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Combat knife, Storm bolter

. 4x Scout w/Combat Knife

+ Elites +

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [56 PL, 1,001pts] ++

+ HQ +

Chaplain [5 PL, 92pts]: 6. Canticle of Hate, Bolt pistol, Jump Pack, Litany of Hate, Storm bolter

Lieutenants in Phobos Armor [5 PL, 81pts]

. Lieutenant in Phobos Armour

. . Occulus Bolt Carbine and Bolt Pistol: Grav-chute

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 187pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle

. 9x Intercessor

. Intercessor Sergeant: Thunder hammer

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 86pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Stalker Bolt Rifle

. 4x Intercessor

. Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +

Centurion Assault Squad [16 PL, 260pts]

+ HQ +

+ Heavy Support +

. Techmarine Gunner

. Techmarine Gunner

++ Total: [111 PL, 1999pts] ++

I managed to play a practice ITC game the other night and here are some thoughts and observations:

Sniper Scouts: while the idea was great the Eliminators cause all characters to hide and add the LOS blocking terrain on top of that and the Scout Snipers just don't cut it for damage out put and fire support.

Intercessors: these guys are a total sleeper unit, the ten man squad does serious work especially as troops, I ran them with the Power Fist which wasn't bad but I'm changing back to the Thunder Hammer. I like the standard bolt rifle it just feel so versatile.

Infiltrators: They are pricey but I really appreciated the board control and the added distance preventing deep strikes. I placed them on and out of the way objective out of LOS and they scored me points all game. At one point I had them in cover, popped smoke and used See but Remain Unseen for -3 and my opponent thought twice about shooting them with his TFC's.

Aggressors/Centurions: These guys are total bullet magnets and dumping them in cover for the -1 and using Transhuman Physiology just feels broken. My aggressors tanked three 12 lascannon shots and when the dust settled there were still two left. The cents tanker a round of close combat from a fully buffer Blood Angels smash captain with MC Hammer and survive. Sadly they killed him he fought in death and wiped the squad. But he spend several command points in the process so I could stomach the trade.

The Phobos Lieutent with Ex Tenebris is great, offers a lot of tactical options and keeps those characters on their toes.

I liked the Shadow Step Power quite a bit and added some nice utility, I was fortunate to get the cast off every time so that may be whats influencing my initial decision.

Well thanks for looking and all the feedback!

Brian

Edited by Entry1

While I’m not a fan of the cost of Infiltrators over Incursors and would make the Int Sgt’’ Thunder Hammer my first cut if looking for points to sneak in Ex Tenebris .... I think it’s a very solid list. My thoughts is reviewing it at the next level.

Generally how do you expect to attack the ITC objectives and what Secondaries do you see this list excelling at? This would be with the assumption you’re going to go second. My thought is with double battalions always plan for going second, hope for going first.

Secondaries are always tough for me I feel like there are so many factors between who/what you're facing, the deployment map and mission will greatly influence what you pick.  I feel like Ravenguard are fortunate that we are so versatile in what we can do between stratagems and deployment options.  I feel like my list is more about patience, board control and denying my opponent secondaries. 

My experience is people will always gravitate toward Gangbusters because everyone wants to kill Gravs/Cents they just create so much aggro that they have to be targeted.  Knowing that I almost feel like "hiding" them in deep strike or magic boxes until late game while controlling the board with all my other MSU Units and deep striking them last minute.  Also making them engineers may seem counter intuitive but hiding 5 aggressors out of line of sight sitting them at a home objective could give me quite a points swing.  This will be esp handy if they have limited artillery to target them out of LOS.  Plus having one of these squads full strength late game makes them that much stronger.  

Everyone is expecting the up in your face Master of Ambush but maybe using that to pull them and hide them could really screw with someones game plan and initial deployment.  Esp when playing a less aggressive army that wants to castle and hide.   I can use the similar tactics if they roll up with Headhunters, run hide and counter assault mid to late game.  I think being patient and methodical is a good option as opposed to always jumping straight in for the alpha/beta strike approach.  I just have to get into a mindset of not trying to kill everything the first few turns and plan for the long game.  I feel like when I focus on killing then I always over extend and end up suffering massive casualties and take big risks that don't always pay off mid to late game.  

So long and short I think the stand here and score points objectives work best for my army, engineers, recon, ground control and possibly even King of the Hill if the rare opportunity presents itself.  Add in some Headhunter/Kinglsayer to exploit our super doctrine and Reaper is always easy with hordes and the amount of shooting I have.  Even basic Scout Squads can pick up a lot of basic troops these days especially supported by all the added rapid fire and mass shooting the army is capable of.  Any rate all food for thought, I'd like to hear everyone's ideas and experiences esp if I'm out in left field.  Thanks for the help and comments Dracos!

Nice to see a fellow Colorado resident and Raptor/RG player. Your army is quite the inspiration of a collection. How has that last fare for you since you last posted it? I have never been to an LVO or any ITC events; so please post your update and experience using your list.

Hey Hiroitchi thanks for the kind words!!  I live in the Denver Metro area if your up for a game feel free to PM.  I usually go to Coplar Hobbies in Aurora on Saturday nights they have a good group of folks over there.  

Hey everyone!!

Just a quick update went to a small three round ITC Tournament over the weekend and fought Eldar (1 point loss), Admech (tabled him for win) and Tau (Tie).  The army felt really good but I felt at times it was over whelming because there are a lot of moving parts and so many options to chose from. But over all the army is fun to play and extremely versatile.  Here are some of my observations and findings;

The Chaplain;  Definitely an MVP against the Admech and Eldar, I made him Master of Sanctity and gave him the Canticle of Hate (charge/pile in bonus) and Litany of Faith(+5 vs mortal).  I gotta say the litany of Faith was a game changer against the Eldar Psychic phase, my opponent did an average of 20 MW a turn which would have been brutal.   This ability literally saved a 10 man intercessor squad that would have been wiped but managed last until the shooting phase.  Also I faced those crazy Admec Shooty Robots that have the ability to double shoot and do mortal wounds on sixes with a stratagem.  He tunneled my Cent Squad I threw in his face and the sergeant was the sole survive once the dust settled. Her managed to exact some revenge the next turn avenging his fallen brothers.  As far as the Canticle of Hate everyone uses it and its hands down amazing to get across the board or smooth out those charges from deep strike. 

Phobos Libby; this guy was very hit and miss but overall more durable then expected. Also when his powers did go off they were game changers, he shadow stepped a smash captain who managed to charge and wreck a character knight with the help of Strike from the Skies and Imperium's Sword.  Additionally, he managed a few clutch no over watch powers and managed to deny Doom in order to give my Intercessors a little more staying power.  But otherwise I'm not sure if I would miss him if he was gone.   I just wish he was more reliable for the points. 

Lieutenant with Ex Tenebrus; this guy was great but very squishy if the enemy managed to target him.  Also, I felt like he had trouble keeping up with the rest of the army. Ex Tenebrus is great and I would rank this guy a little higher then the Phobos Libby but I just wish he had concealed positions like the rest of the Phobos guys.  

Cents, Aggressors, TFC and Eliminators are just amazing units, the only down side is the cents/aggressors give up easy gang busters and they pull massive amounts of aggro.  I found myself deep striking them or hiding them early on to deny those points which cost me quite a bit of offensive power.  Also people love shooting Eliminators which isn't bad because they a pretty durable with a minus to hit and a 1+ save with the added benefit of only being 72 points.   

Shrike; this guy looks mediocre on paper but is a total blender when he gets into combat. He is great for erasing squads of Intercessors and Elite Infantry with two wounds.  Plus his pistol is actually really really good, it claimed the lives of many Admech characters my second game and the added benefit of mortal wounds give it some added punch. 

Ravenguard Infiltrators are easily some of the best engineers in the game and there are so many other threats in the army no one wastes the fire power on them.  They also grabbed behind enemy lines and recon reliably the first two games.   The -1 to hit in cover, smoke grenades and see but remain unseen is amazing.  Also having the option to "hide" in deep strike until round two as engineers is fantastic.  The anti deep strike never came into play this time but i'm sure the more games I play that will change.  

Intercessors are amazing troops and a total sleeper unit, plus no one shoots them because of all the other threats.  The 5 man squad with Stalkers are great home objective campers and the ten man squad with Thammer are great for taking objectives. These two squads and Infiltrators will remain a staple in the army for me.  

As far as stratagems Transhuman Physiology is just amazing and makes units really have the added staying power, I threw this on my 10 man intercessor squad and threw them in the face of the tau. They managed to tank several turns of shooting due to cover saves and other threats on the board.  Also the Rapid Fire Stratagem while expensive if you find yourself  near a character monster/vehicle will really do work, but its definitely situational. 

The added warlord traits are also an auto include and I love the smash caption with no over watch trait and The Imperium's Sword esp when you throw in the MC Thammer. I used Lay Low the Tyrant on the Uber Shooty Admech Robots and it came in handy, it is situational but very helpful when said situation arises. Also situational but the scene but remain unseen is great for holding onto those objectives or "stand here" secondaries, pop smoke while in cover for some serious resiliency.   

My only changes would be to drop and Libby and Aggressors for two Invictors to hide out mid field and add some medium to long range shooting and counter assault.  Don't get me wrong I love the aggressors but this would give me one less Head Hunter target and would only allow me to give three Gang Buster points. Plus the Cents and Aggressors throw a lot of dice which is nice but kills some serious clock time which is something for me to take into consideration. So maybe limiting it to only one squad with 70 plus dice would help in the long run too.  Well, just food for thought.   Plus the Invictors are so freaking COOL!!!

Well that is all I have to report for now, thanks for looking and any feedback or constructive criticism is much appreciated.  I managed to squeak out fourth place and a Space Shark (RG Successor; Whirlwind of Rage/Hungry for Battle) player running the FW Termie Character, Invictors and the typical Aggressors and Centurion bomb managed to go 3-0 for the win which was cool.  I managed to squeak out best painted which landed me a White Scars Codex.  All in all it was fun event with great people.   

Stay Sharp!!

Brain 

Edited by Entry1

Congrats on the win for Best Painted man! It looks like you are learning a lot which is good before a big event like LVO. Have you noticed the previous list you posted was 59 points over? You might want to check that out before D-Day otherwise you could be DQed.

Cheers!

Edit : forgot to ask if you knew the list of the Carcharodon player who won the event? It's the second event won in 10 days with RG successors AND a Badab Character in the list so I'm curious to see what make those come back.

Edited by jpwyrm