Characters

Fatbudda

So with the points drops and changes coming I've found my self looking at my lists and really struggling to decide which characters to take. We have so many to choose from that it's hard not to over indulge! Mephiston, Librarian dreadnought, smash captain, the Sanguinor, Astorath, Lemartes and Sanguinary Priests are all very tempting! Which characters are people finding themselves including in virtually all of their planned lists? Because I'm really struggling to cut them down!

It's definitely super easy to overinvest in characters.

I'd love to take a Chaplain, a Captain, a Librarian, an Apothecary, an Ancient and a Lieutenant as basis but that alone in a Primaris army is already super expensive and then I don't even have any named characters yet lol

I think that certain characters compliment certain units more than others so I try to work according to that.

Captain Smash is the ultimate self-guiding missile and deserves to be in any list. Shock Attack makes him stronger although he is unlikely to get much mileage out of Savage Echoes. If Captain Smash is still alive in Turn 3, chances are you have won anyway. :biggrin.:

Mephiston and/or a Libby Dread are also very solid. Trouble is that they both really want Wings and Quickening so don't work well in the same list. If you are running any Primaris transport I guess you can run Mephy without Wings and have him lead your "second wave". I lean towards Mephy, (particularly now that he has been primarisised) thanks to his 3rd power. This means he can cast a buff power (normally Unleash Rage) on T2 onwards once he has closed with the enemy.

Lemartes works best with DC so if you are taking them, he is practically auto-include. If you are not then he is still a solid beatstick but less mandatory.

I don't have any experience of Astorath as I am converting my own to look a bit less like Dracula but I keep getting distracted. :sweat:

Sanguinary Priest, Sanguinary Ancient (with obligatory SoS) and Sanguinor  both work best when buffing high value infantry. I normally run these guys as a tag-team if I am taking Sanguinary Guard. The fact the jump pack is now an official option for the Priest is just gravy. Artificer Armour is a tempting upgrade if he is going to be hanging in a high-threat environment but Icon of the Angel also looks tempting.

A Jump Pack Libby also makes a nice buffing character for SG with Unleash Rage. Arguably he is less important now with Shock Assault and Savage echoes but when it comes to attacks, sometimes quantity has a quality all of its own. :D

Sanguinary Guard led by Sanguinor, Sanguinary Ancient, a Priest and a buff Libby are terrifying to behold. I recently used this combo to tear through a Death Guard. They chewed through 5 Daemon Engines, 2 squads of Death Guard and several HQs. I was down to only 2 SG and the characters by the end but the ability to force that level of damage through even T7/8 5++/5+++ was amazing.

Yeah I've been thinking of working a squad of DC and Sang guard into my list. Currently thinking Lemartes with +2 charge litany to go with the DC. Then the Sanguinor to go with the Sanguinary guard.. Then I add a smash captain and Mephiston for extra punch. Then I have to decide between astorath for more litanies plus redundancy for 2+ charge, a captain with quaker rounds or a Sanguinary priest to back up my other assault units.. Then I realise I'm spending so many points on characters!

I wouldn't run both DC and SG in the same list until you get up to around 2000 points. Between points and character support, they are a big chunk of your points. There is also the risk that they compete for CPs (although at least they don't need to fight over DOA quite so much).

My normal 2k list has two Battalions and a Vanguard Detachment, so that's five HQs (Smash Captain, Lieutenant, Librarian, Priest, Sanguinor/Astorath). I then have a Company Ancient, Sanguinary Ancient, and an Assassin - so that's eight Characters total.

I understand I'll need to drop the Assassin to make use of Doctrines :( but the rest may well stay should I persist with that list.

Basically, it really depends on what theme I'm using and the Detachment amount i.e if I use my vehicle heavy list at 2k, that's less HQs and less Characters overall.

I personally run

Cpt smash for obvious reasons, I think two is over kill In an all comers list

Sanguinor for buffs

Mephiston for psychic stuffs

Lemartes for the death company

And a sanguinary priest for buffs and heals

That’s my go too 5 characters for my two battalion and vanguard list but I also includes a sanguinary Ancient with relic banner, now that I can make him warlord and still give artisan or war to the captain is great at buffing the sanguinary guard and not giving up a free warlord point

Edited by redshadow

Pondering Astorath more than ever before. Since he’ll be on the table turn 1 and he has a plethora of litanies to chant, it could be interesting to get him the Focus one with +1 to hit in shooting. With BGNT, you have up to 2 tanks that ignore to-move penalties for their heavy weapons, which allows Razorbacks and similar choices to get into position and don’t lose out on firepower. Turn 2, Fire him up to help out with Canticle of Yeet (thanks for that btw! :D ) and re-roll hits. Just a beast.

Decided to take another look at a Slash Captain.

Set up.

Captain
Jump Pack
Dual Lightning Claws
Angel's Wing/Pinion of the Angel
Artisan of War
Death Visions of Sanguinius

So let's see. 
4 attacks base
+1 dual claws
+1 Black Rage
+1 Shock Assault
+1 Echoes

So by himself on turn three, we have 8 +1 to wound, -3AP, D2 attacks hitting on 2s re-rolling, and re-rolling  failed wounds. All for 105 points + CP (not including cost changes)

We can stack buffs on him as needed. But is it worth it?

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

Decided to take another look at a Slash Captain.

Set up.

Captain

Jump Pack

Dual Lightning Claws

Angel's Wing/Pinion of the Angel

Artisan of War

Death Visions of Sanguinius

So let's see. 

4 attacks base

+1 dual claws

+1 Black Rage

+1 Shock Assault

+1 Echoes

So by himself on turn three, we have 8 +1 to wound, -3AP, D2 attacks hitting on 2s re-rolling, and re-rolling  failed wounds. All for 105 points + CP (not including cost changes)

We can stack buffs on him as needed. But is it worth it?

Assault doctrine definitely makes him more interesting, however then again do we really need a blender turn 3? We should have dealt with most of the infantry by then anyway and what's left shouldn't be that much of a problem for the rest of our army in Assault doctrine either.

I guess as before I just don't see a place for him in our army.

I'll be using my raldoron setup. Master crafted auto bolt rifle upgraded to the relic one coupled with master artisan on his power sword. Can I now pay a CP to get an additional warlord trait? It so, ill need to decide what makes most sense.

I feel like a captain with some shooting ability is a good idea these days, makes the most of doctrines. The relic auto bolt rifle is nice too because it synergises with the +1 advance rule too.

I mentioned this in the WS vs BA thread, but I cant help but feel like we should consider ways to take advantage of the fact we get our bonuses if we charge or get charged, where basically every other army only get theirs if they charge. It's a small thing but feels like it may be handy.

I'll be using my raldoron setup. Master crafted auto bolt rifle upgraded to the relic one coupled with master artisan on his power sword. Can I now pay a CP to get an additional warlord trait? It so, ill need to decide what makes most sense.

Just seen the relic one. AP-3 with D2 when assault doctrine is in play is tasty. 

I've used one of the relic Bolters from the Marine 'Dex to keep a captain cheap and honestly? It was great!

It's not as inherently valuable as Angels Wings or Standard of Sacrifice but he really contributes to a gunline and will no doubt slay many a model through the game.

Is the Bolter SIW or a relic?

Relic.

I think for someone playing primaris - most of the default go to relics (jump packs) have zero value. Standard of sacrifice is obviously just as great as always.

I'm gutted we got ANOTHER jump pack. I really wanted a not rubbish melee weapon relic (more precisely a sword of some kind). I dont really get why they failed to give us a really good melee relic when every other chapter has one. :(

Relic.

I think for someone playing primaris - most of the default go to relics (jump packs) have zero value. Standard of sacrifice is obviously just as great as always.

I'm gutted we got ANOTHER jump pack. I really wanted a not rubbish melee weapon relic (more precisely a sword of some kind). I dont really get why they failed to give us a really good melee relic when every other chapter has one. :(

+1 I wish they would've fixed the Angelic Shard if nothing else. It is so so so bad.

Relic.

I'm gutted we got ANOTHER jump pack. I really wanted a not rubbish melee weapon relic (more precisely a sword of some kind). I dont really get why they failed to give us a really good melee relic when every other chapter has one. :sad.:

Honestly? We have the Hammer already which is excellent. Maybe one of the best relics of all marines considering just how damn good THs are.

Alternatively the Artisan WLT doesn't work on relics so it'd be a little useless and our relic slot is already very competetive.

But yeah, for Primaris the options are slim I guess! The Chaplain for one with a Ld modifier...?!

Relic.

I'm gutted we got ANOTHER jump pack. I really wanted a not rubbish melee weapon relic (more precisely a sword of some kind). I dont really get why they failed to give us a really good melee relic when every other chapter has one. :sad.:

Honestly? We have the Hammer already which is excellent. Maybe one of the best relics of all marines considering just how damn good THs are.

Alternatively the Artisan WLT doesn't work on relics so it'd be a little useless and our relic slot is already very competetive.

But yeah, for Primaris the options are slim I guess! The Chaplain for one with a Ld modifier...?!

Even from a non primaris perspective, swords are cooler and just fit the theme of BA better. Honestly if the archangel shard had been damage 2 and minimum 2 damage when rollable, it would be fine. As is, it's one of the lamest relics going.

Ideally though, we should have had the encarmine warblade!

Even though we don’t have a cool relic sword, a cheap alternative is a relic blade with artisan of war, or if you want to go down the knightly path, a regular power sword and storm shield. It’s still damage 2 and will wound the toughest opponents on 5+, now with AP-4 in the 3rd turn.

Yeah, there’s much better options for our captains, certainly. Not everyone likes Smash Captains, though.

Even though we don’t have a cool relic sword, a cheap alternative is a relic blade with artisan of war, or if you want to go down the knightly path, a regular power sword and storm shield. It’s still damage 2 and will wound the toughest opponents on 5+, now with AP-4 in the 3rd turn.

Yeah, there’s much better options for our captains, certainly. Not everyone likes Smash Captains, though.

Except that not every character can take a relic blade or stormshields. Looking at my Primaris characters mainly. ;)