Characters

Fatbudda

Right now I'm planning on going with Slamguinius, a Sanguinary Priest, Sanguinor, Lemartes, and a Librarian Dreadnought.  I'd love to find a place for the new Mephiston model but I just can't bring myself to remove anything from my list for him.  I thought about running Mephiston with the usual Wings/Quickening to be the beatstick and then giving the Dreadnought the new Relic along with Unleash Rage and Shield of Sanguinius to be more of a buff unit, but considering that I still feel like the Libby Dread serves as the better beatstick it felt like I was doing things backwards.  Still trying to figure out the Relic and Warlord Trait situation with my current group of HQs though.

Even though we don’t have a cool relic sword, a cheap alternative is a relic blade with artisan of war, or if you want to go down the knightly path, a regular power sword and storm shield. It’s still damage 2 and will wound the toughest opponents on 5+, now with AP-4 in the 3rd turn.

Yeah, there’s much better options for our captains, certainly. Not everyone likes Smash Captains, though.

Except that not every character can take a relic blade or stormshields. Looking at my Primaris characters mainly. ;)

Yeah, that’s why I personally don’t take those if I can avoid it. Especially combat characters are not most optimal with primaris so far, relying on Transports to get around or in charge range.

I’d be fine if captains could take a relic blade and a storm shield together. Would perhaps lessen the impact of captain smash a bit. Unlikely though.

I have mixed filling about the new chaplain. We have now several bonus but only active on 3+.

I see some people build tactics who strongly depend of the litanies (especially the +2 to charge one), but I find this to much unreliable. Even with a CP for rerolling. 

I thinks so I will not use them, and take only characters that do not dependent of a dice roll.

But Astorath and Lemartes are good choices with 2 litanies par turn or a good native aura, but I don't like use named characters.

And you ? Do you see regular Chaplain in your lists ? 

Yeah once I got myself a Primaris Chaplain he'll see play almost every time. Rolling on 3+ with a re-roll is not too bad and the effects are potentially game deciding.

I wish we could get Phobos Chaplains and Sanguinary Priests.

I think having a gander at our how to build captains from yesteryear needs a bump.

It is very disappointing the primaris options are so depleted right now. It is very frustrating that primaris sergeants have more customization than captains at present.

How do some of our older interactions and war gear differ from those of the present?

A MC combi-plasma + AoW on relic blade seems like a good well rounded option.

Personally I'm happy I can make Hazriel again. MC plasma pistol Haldroth's Might (Fury of Baal) and a fancy warlord trait. Or I can experiment with some other things.

I have mixed filling about the new chaplain. We have now several bonus but only active on 3+.

I see some people build tactics who strongly depend of the litanies (especially the +2 to charge one), but I find this to much unreliable. Even with a CP for rerolling.

I thinks so I will not use them, and take only characters that do not dependent of a dice roll.

But Astorath and Lemartes are good choices with 2 litanies par turn or a good native aura, but I don't like use named characters.

And you ? Do you see regular Chaplain in your lists ?

I think you're on the wrong side of it bud, 3+ rerolled is 88 percent chance of having very powerful buffs. And I wouldn't even consider canticle of hate the lynch pin of a strategy. Red thirst adds so much more utility now.

I'm planning on kitbashing Astorath because of it.

I think canticles are probably more reliable than Psychic powers since they cannot be denied and don't cause MWs when they backfire. People who run Mephy or a Libby Dread take it read that they need to cast Wings and usually Quickening to get the desired results.

Canticles offer some useful buffs that don't overlap much with existing auras and I am keen to try them out. Admittedly I usually run Lemartes and I will continue to do so but I am delighted that my old dog has learned some new tricks. :smile.:

I think you're on the wrong side of it bud, 3+ rerolled is 88 percent chance of having very powerful buffs. And I wouldn't even consider canticle of hate the lynch pin of a strategy. Red thirst adds so much more utility now.

I'm planning on kitbashing Astorath because of it.

I don't agree. 88% it's hardly more than the percent chance of not losing the initiative, and we lose already too often the initiative to ignore it in the deployment. And for the 88% chance, you need a CP. But in a Blood Angels you are already short in CP.

For the canticle I imagine it depends on the regions. Where I am, it seems like everybody want use the canticle of hate for make charges with deep striking units. Blood Agngels or successor chapter.

Edited by Loishy

I believe Loishy was referring to being seized on. I do think there's validity in the argument that needing to roll for a buff is disappointing where before the (less powerful) buff was guaranteed. I was hoping our named Chaplains would at least be successful on a 2+ rather than a 3+. All that said, I still land on the side of it being a net gain. Not just the +2" to charge, but the 6" pile-in and consolidate is incredibly powerful I think. Of course the other Litanies are useful as well, and making a Chaplain relevant to a gunline is also 100% better than previous.

I believe Loishy was referring to being seized on.

Yes sorry :happy.:  I didn't know well the English terms.

I'm going to try the chaplain, but I'm afraid the litany won't pass when I need it the most.

I find Relic weapons are often (but not always) underwhelming as you are just squeezing a little extra damage out of one model. The Relics I tend to like are the ones that add an entirely new capability such as SOS and Angel's Wing enhance the army as a whole such as Veritas Vitae.

A slightly better plasma pistol seems underwhelming in an army that can takes squads of Hellblasters. :wink:

But it's Hazriel you guys. I built him specifically to have the Fury of Baal relic back in 7th.

More times than not edition I give him Angels Wing, because he has the best fancy jump pack. If I were to change it for some of the new powers I would more than likely give him the Icon to make him a full utility character. BUT! I've also been looking at drop pods a lot these days.

But it's Hazriel you guys. I built him specifically to have the Fury of Baal relic back in 7th.

You could count the combi melta as a relic plasma pistol and never fire the bolter part? Hazriel is a renowned fighter for sure,  he might need an equally powerful weapon...

Edited by Xenith

I mean, why not count the combi melta as a relic plasma pistol and never fire the bolter part?

I could, but DBH has a horrible roll record with melta-misses. And I dont want to break off the plasma hand since Hazriel is one of my favorite painted minis.

Something very interesting that I JUST NOW NOTICED! Captain Tycho's blood song now counts as two separate weapons. So he's firing both his MC boltgun and Melta gun on a 2+!

I mean, why not count the combi melta as a relic plasma pistol and never fire the bolter part?

I could, but DBH has a horrible roll record with melta-misses. And I dont want to break off the plasma hand since Hazriel is one of my favorite painted minis.

Something very interesting that I JUST NOW NOTICED! Captain Tycho's blood song now counts as two separate weapons. So he's firing both his MC boltgun and Melta gun on a 2+!

No need to break off anything. He's talking about a counts-as situation here. Use a melta as counts-as relic plasma pistol.

Where are you seeing this? The codex specifically says -1 from each roll if you fire both at the same time, no?

Edited by Xenith

Where are you seeing this? The codex specifically says -1 from each roll if you fire both at the same time, no?

Battle scribe strikes again.

No need to break off anything. He's talking about a counts-as situation here. Use a melta as counts-as relic plasma pistol.
Ahh yeah I understand now. Play it as a counts-as. I don't think that would be a problem. Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

I've been thinking. With the points increase to smash he clocks in at 143 now. Why not take a look at Dante?

Really thinking hard on it for sure.

Because Dante has a much worse weapon and no 3++. :sweat:

But it isn't "Much worse" He's re-rolling to wound against characters and he's D3. hitting on twos wounding most things on 2s or 4s.