Characters

Fatbudda

I've been thinking. With the points increase to smash he clocks in at 143 now. Why not take a look at Dante?

Really thinking hard on it for sure.

Because he doesn't hit as hard, isn't as durable, and can't ignore overwatch.

Dante can't reliably take out vehicles, except maybe character knights if your really really lucky.

The lack of a storm shield is also a big but slightly smaller deal.

But Str6 D3 damage just cannot compare to Str8 flat 3 or 4 damage.

And that's not even counting the lack of 3++.

Dante is sadly still very sub-optimal.

He didn't get the reroll change so penalties mess up his rerolls.

Use him to buff a gunline and countercharge things or go hunt a character.

But he isn't a smash replacement, who goes and smacks the biggest thing and kills it dead and then usually dies.

Dante also has a really bad warlord trait.

Dante depends on what sort of army you're up against. Lots of T7 and T8 vehicles/monsters? Captain will punch harder. T6 or lower characters? Dante will be great with his number of attacks and rerolls.

The main benefit for the Captain is being able to hand pick a warlord trait and relic for him. That transforms him from a nice character to a wrecking machine.

Even though we don’t have a cool relic sword, a cheap alternative is a relic blade with artisan of war, or if you want to go down the knightly path, a regular power sword and storm shield. It’s still damage 2 and will wound the toughest opponents on 5+, now with AP-4 in the 3rd turn.

Yeah, there’s much better options for our captains, certainly. Not everyone likes Smash Captains, though.

Question on the relic blade. Many of our units have the "can replace it's chainsword with an item from the Melee Weapons list" entry. And with the new 2019 CA Field Guide, the relic blade finally appears in the Melee Weapons list with it's 9 points cost. Does that mean I can finally take a relic blade on my Lieutenant? 

Question on the relic blade. Many of our units have the "can replace it's chainsword with an item from the Melee Weapons list" entry. And with the new 2019 CA Field Guide, the relic blade finally appears in the Melee Weapons list with it's 9 points cost. Does that mean I can finally take a relic blade on my Lieutenant?

No, the "Melee weapon list" is the list on page 75 of the BA codex, not the one that lists all the point costs at the back. Otherwise you could give everyone free Redemptor fists. :biggrin.:

No, the "Melee weapon list" is the list on page 75 of the BA codex, not the one that lists all the point costs at the back. Otherwise you could give everyone free Redemptor fists. :biggrin.:

So then when I don't see an updated points cost from CA19 for the Power Lance, but it is still in our Melee Weapons list, where does that leave me on that one?

So then when I don't see an updated points cost from CA19 for the Power Lance, but it is still in our Melee Weapons list, where does that leave me on that one?

Use the latest publication to have points for it for Blood Angels. Either the last Chapter Approved or the Codex itself.

Use the latest publication to have points for it for Blood Angels. Either the last Chapter Approved or the Codex itself.

The only Power lance we have access to is in the Legends document which also includes the points for it. There's no Power lance in the Codex, CA19 or BoB.

I'm right in assuming that Astorath's damage 3 weapon goes off on a 5+ in the first round of combat right? And if we put strength on him he becomes S7 AP -3 and 1+D3 damage/4damage on 5+ yes?

The Executioners Axe becomes straight 3 damage on a wound roll of 6.

Since Blood Angels have Red Thirst  plus 1 when resolving the wound so 5's work.

Mantra of Strength adds 1 to the damage/attack characteristic so it all stacks.

I think you found something good there.