BA Incursors are going to be a thing.

Morticon

So...

I've been doing some practice rolling. 

A squad of 5 Incursors run in at 105 points (because why would you not pay 10 points for a mine!!). 

On the charge with no buffs they do a fair 16 attacks. These attacks in turn generate extra *hits* on 6s to hit. 

However, with Chaplain support (Rerolls and Rage) you're looking at 6s generating extra *hits* AND an extra attack. 

Hit this very basic Troop squad with Unleash Rage from a libby, and you're looking at 21 attacks, with the added benefits. 

If, woe betide the enemy, you charge in in turn 3.....you're looking at 26 attacks - AP1, with the BA rules.... Now, when you have the chaplain litanies going off, the exponential reward here is just amazing.

Just wanted to share that.  I think theyre a solid sleeper unit. 

I was thinking it after the leaks broke. They feel like they fit the Blitzkrieg style of BA and have a wicked toolbox!

Two or three units mean a super forward threat, not to mention they can be hit by the Obscuration discipline. Can you charge after Temporal Corridor?

So...

I've been doing some practice rolling. 

A squad of 5 Incursors run in at 105 points (because why would you not pay 10 points for a mine!!). 

On the charge with no buffs they do a fair 16 attacks. These attacks in turn generate extra *hits* on 6s to hit. 

However, with Chaplain support (Rerolls and Rage) you're looking at 6s generating extra *hits* AND an extra attack. 

Hit this very basic Troop squad with Unleash Rage from a libby, and you're looking at 21 attacks, with the added benefits. 

If, woe betide the enemy, you charge in in turn 3.....you're looking at 26 attacks - AP1, with the BA rules.... Now, when you have the chaplain litanies going off, the exponential reward here is just amazing.

Just wanted to share that.  I think theyre a solid sleeper unit. 

This is what I was talking about earlier. With Just the Sanguinor and unlease rage they are rocking 5 attacks each  on the charge with exploding 6s. turn 3 6 attacks + exploding 6s. 

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

I've been super stoked on incursors for a minute. I also think that this rolls back to our chaplain buffs being crazy good, incursors are decent enough statline, but add sweet sweet litanies? now we're talking! 

add in gene-wroght might and you're adding in and extra auto-wound on top of the "basically tesla" fists.

Of all the Vanguard units, Incursors were the one that made me sit up.

2W 3+ bodies that can infiltrate alone are worth it, to me, to complement Scout Spam. Add in all the other neat tricks, especially the ability to create minefields around the enemy dz and we’re cooking with fire.

Support them with some Drop Pod DCs and Warsuits and you have a solid melee alpha strike. Perhaps UWoF Astorath nearby too for easy charges and re-rolls. I wouldn't worry about them still being around turn 3 though. They won't. :D 

Support them with some Drop Pod DCs and Warsuits and you have a solid melee alpha strike. Perhaps UWoF Astorath nearby too for easy charges and re-rolls. I wouldn't worry about them still being around turn 3 though. They won't. :biggrin.:

My thoughts exactly :D I feel they can hardly be expected to last till turn 3. We're talking forward-deployment unit after all.

Infiltrating Troops that are much tougher than Scouts but also cheaper than Infiltrators. I agree that Incursors look very good on paper. They are cheap enough to screen if necessary but punchy enough to use aggressively if the situation warrants and only 2ppm more than Intercessors.

If you could give the Sergeant a melee weapon they would be solid gold but I suppose you can't have everything. :wink:

Edited by Karhedron

Unless you roll like Beard from Tabletop Tactics. Which I do. :/

1st turn Alpha strike with the Phobos units is super possible. Mix it up with some of the other stuff Blood Angels have and you're going to be giving your opponent headaches. Good to see that some of the melee units people thought were kind of meh, actually being decent in the hands of a chapter that likes melee.

Yup, I was already running a squad of these guys (reiver proxies) and a scout squad for forward positioning in my current list and they're a big part of why I've been successful at putting pressure on my opponents early.  With the changes, I've tweaked my list so that my forward fire base now has two squads of each and an Invictor.  Still modeling some of that stuff, but I can't wait to run my new list with this much early pressure while still having the BA flavor units dropping the hammer in the later turns.

I forgot arguably the most important point that is often overlooked and one of the reasons there's a slight exponential leap.  

(And also why, if you are going to use them for a hardcore charge, you should pop Astorath's mass-o-doom and reroll everything not a "6"). 

The wording of the Paired Blades and Exhortation of Rage is such that we get more attacks than usual.  

In the case of "Paired Combat  Blades" - "When resolving an attack made with this weapon, an unmodified hit roll of 6 scores an additional hit". 

And in the case of "Exhortation of Rage" - "When resolving an attack ...on an unmodified hit roll of 6, you may make one additional attack....This additional attack cannot generate another attack"

So, if you haven't spotted it already, what this means is:

If you have Rage (and ideally Hate) active on your Incursors, you get to roll the dice....and for every 6, you not only generate 1 extra auto-hit, you generate an additional attack- which CAN in turn generate additional auto-hits !!!!  (Because Rage prevents you from generating extra attacks, not extra hits).

(Stick Corbulo in the mix here, and it gets silly)

Edited by Morticon

I forgot arguably the most important point that is often overlooked and one of the reasons there's a slight exponential leap.

(And also why, if you are going to use them for a hardcore charge, you should pop Astorath's mass-o-doom and reroll everything not a "6").

The wording of the Paired Blades and Exhortation of Rage is such that we get more attacks than usual.

In the case of "Paired Combat Blades" - "When resolving an attack made with this weapon, an unmodified hit roll of 6 scores an additional hit".

And in the case of "Exhortation of Rage" - "When resolving an attack ...on an unmodified hit roll of 6, you may make one additional attack....This additional attack cannot generate another attack"

So, if you haven't spotted it already, what this means is:

If you have Rage (and ideally Hate) active on your Incursors, you get to roll the dice....and for every 6, you not only generate 1 extra auto-hit, you generate an additional attack- which CAN in turn generate additional auto-hits !!!! (Because Rage prevents you from generating extra attacks, not extra hits).

(Stick Corbulo in the mix here, and it gets silly)

Add in gene-wroght might to turn the cheese up to 11

Good :cuss @Mort .

Let’s get crazy with it since this is Warhammer 40,000

Incursors

2A base

+1 Shock Assault

+1 Savage Echoes

+1 Sanguinor

+1 Unleash Rage

Paired Combat Knives = extra hits on 6’s

Invocation of Rage = extra attack’s on 6’s

Corbulo = extra attack’s on 6’s

+1 To Hit from Mass of Doom

+1 To Hit from Quake Bolts

(1’s To Hit still miss, but 4’s now count as 6’s)

...and to get really silly let’s say you’re fighting Black Legion :)

Edited by Indefragable

I'd take incursors over infiltrators any day of the week, and twice on a Sunday. Between those, reivers, eliminators (even through these aren't as fluffy for us) and scouts and scout bikers and the landspeeder storm we've got some pretty cool tenth Coy stuff. Tactic question, do you think the Sanguinary discipline is worth it for the Phobos Libby, he can cast Unleash Rage on incursors for more attacks and the chance of more exploding sixes, or isn't it worth losing the Obscuration Discipline?

Good :censored: @Mort .

Let’s get crazy with it since this is Warhammer 40,000

Incursors

2A base

+1 Shock Assault

+1 Savage Echoes

+1 Sanguinor

+1 Unleash Rage

Paired Combat Knives = extra hits on 6’s

Invocation of Rage = extra attack’s on 6’s

Corbulo = extra attack’s on 6’s

+1 To Hit from Mass of Doom

+1 To Hit from Quake Bolts

(1’s To Hit still miss, but 4’s now count as 6’s)

...and to get really silly let’s say you’re fighting Black Legion :smile.:

Remember all the new stuff is cleverly worded to be "natural" rolls of 6.  It's only corbulo's ability that triggers on 6+ (which would help with MoD and Quake Bolts)

I'd take incursors over infiltrators any day of the week, and twice on a Sunday. Between those, reivers, eliminators (even through these aren't as fluffy for us) and scouts and scout bikers and the landspeeder storm we've got some pretty cool tenth Coy stuff. Tactic question, do you think the Sanguinary discipline is worth it for the Phobos Libby, he can cast Unleash Rage on incursors for more attacks and the chance of more exploding sixes, or isn't it worth losing the Obscuration Discipline?

I wouldnt take him with anything else!! 

Guys, I've been running the numbers on this for fun. 

The Corbs + Astorath 3rd Turn combo from 5 Incursors puts out an average of like 9 unsaved wounds on a Knight.  Ork mob prob?  Nope.  Literally a squad of 30 boys wiped by these guys. 

It's stupid.  To be fair, you're almost never getting it off with the ....

Requirements:

Assault Doc,

Echoes,

Litany of Rage,

Litany of Hate,

Mass of Doom,

Corbs, and Astorath (who gave the above three) within 6" 

Go roll this now! See how much fun and how crazy the numbers are. Remember - Corbs' ability triggers on 5 and subsequent 6s rolled still generate auto hits!!! So reroll everything since you're hitting on 2's anyway!  

Edited by Morticon

Blood for the blood... God?!

Blood for the Blood Angel!

Skulls for the Golden Throne!

Whoops, pass the black paint please....

I agree that the ability to stack buffs can lead to some entertaining synergy but it has a large number of moving parts. Compare to charging DC with Lemartes support. A 10-man squad will put 30 wounds on an Ork Mob even before you get into Litanies and are actually slightly cheaper than Incursors (although they are Elites rather than Troops).

My hunch is that rather than trying to buff our Troops into slaughter machines with lots of abilities and CPs, we should make judicous use of our Elites to do the same job. Our Troops can follow in their wake and take Objectives or use their slightly improved melee ability (compared to Codex units) to work cleanup.

The Corbs + Astorath 3rd Turn combo from 5 Incursors puts out an average of like 9 unsaved wounds on a Knight.  Ork mob prob?  Nope.  Literally a squad of 30 boys wiped by these guys. 

Requirements:

Assault Doc,

Echoes,

Litany of Rage,

Litany of Hate,

Mass of Doom,

Go roll this now! See how much fun and how crazy the numbers are. Remember - Corbs' ability triggers on 5 and subsequent 6s rolled still generate auto hits!!! So reroll everything since you're hitting on 2's anyway!  

That's pretty little payoff for the amount of ressources put into them to be honest. :D

Like take Aggressors in the Tactical Doctrine for example. Just 3 of them easily kill 28 Orks or deal 7 damage to a Knight when stationary and need no further support to do so. :D

Cool models for sure, and I like that they’re also suited for close combat instead of “just” being a shooty phobos unit. They could be seen as less sneaky and more aggressively deployed, driving the opponent’s troops out of cover.

If rolling 6’s is your thing, then Incursors and Infiltrators are certainly for you. Infiltrators are better to sneak wounds through on vehicles and monsters though, while incursors mulch infantry in close combat. Including the Omni-Scramblers...

I agree with Panzer though, it seems like an awful lot of support needed to make them go as nuts as described. 1 or 2 squads complement forward scout deployment quite well though, and can clear dug-in troops better than our other units.

Requirements:

Assault Doc,

Echoes,

Litany of Rage,

Litany of Hate,

Mass of Doom,

That's pretty little payoff for the amount of ressources put into them to be honest. :biggrin.:

Like take Aggressors in the Tactical Doctrine for example. Just 3 of them easily kill 28 Orks or deal 7 damage to a Knight when stationary and need no further support to do so. :biggrin.:

I had no idea- that's wild!!