BA Incursors are going to be a thing.

Morticon

Ok, I play tested incursors today - can confirm, they are beast for BA. Ran them unsupported and they tanked a turn of shooting, a plague marine charge and subsequent round of combat - ultimately killing the plagues (after Meph joined in and softened them...). But still - if I had played them better, they have a lot of potential!

How many do we feel is the optimum number to run? I guess it depends on the situation (Astorath rolling for his litanies, turn 3) but 5 feels too few to use effectively.

Agree, what’s the preferred unit size for them? Minimum or something in between? Do you set them up just outside of 9” to get close first turn or do you wait to pop some lightly armoured troops?

How many do we feel is the optimum number to run? I guess it depends on the situation (Astorath rolling for his litanies, turn 3) but 5 feels too few to use effectively.

So it depends on a few different things. What make them real contenders is the ability to boobytrap objectives and forward movement lanes.

There's a few tactics I've seen people employ.

1st is to autopilot them onto objectives and drop objective mines in the center of the objective so no matter which way an opponent tries to move they are going to trigger the mine.

A second way, like if you're playing Kraken Gene stealer spam is to set the mines down in front of them or just behind the first rank of your models. This does two things, it forces the genestealers to charge them, taking overwatch, then auto wounds the genestealers the moment they pile in. The second bit is if you have the mines spread out within 6.1" conga lined in order to hamper the opponent's multi charge, or detour wrap-a-rounds to the units.

A 3rd option is to line the mines up central movement lanes for things like combat dreads, invictus war suits, or other tanks that require moving through those types of lanes to do things. With the amount of flying Eldar vehicles and new astartes tanks this isn't as good. But against land based armies is a better option.

At minimum I think 315 points for three squads with mines is worth the ability to do 3 d3 mortal wounds or 3 D3+1 against vehicles.

If there's room for more I might be inclined to take 6 squads as they are the best astartes troop choice in the game. Ignoring negative modifiers, ignoring cover, boobytrapping objectives, infiltration, exploding 6s in combat, they are really really good.

I would think at least 2x5 (insert the maxim about 1 being a one-off, two being a plan, three being a strategy).

I think Incursors benefit from MSU due to the mines: for the cost of another 5x bodies in a unit, you might as well shell out slightly more to our another mine down.

I think the mines are a very sneakily effective option since I think BA have good tools for clearing chaff...the types of chaff an opponent would use as minesweepers.

I also lean MSU since I want to dump more points into Elites, but YMMV and may want to stack up bodies in a unit.

Lets not get too trigger-happy with the mines - we can only place 1 per turn. I'd say 2 are what we'll usually get to place. 3 would probably require more luck.

I'm thinking 2x5 is cheap and good at complementing other troop options, unless we're going full "IN YOUR FACE ASAP"-type of list.