The Sabbat Worlds Crusade

I am getting REALLY REALLY fed up with all the limited edition stuff GW keeps putting out. I can’t sit by my computer every Saturday at 10 to be able to order. I honestly can’t see the point of it, all it pleases is the ebay scalpers that Re already selling them for 2-3 times the price...

To be fair to them, these maps are only limited in that a set number were made; they’re not selling them as numbered or time restricted, it’s just that demand has massively outstripped demand.

Having a very pleasant afternoon reading my copy, I think I’ve said elsewhere that it is a lovely book, and has great content, but I’m a bit disappointed to notice that the print quality on some pages is a bit poor- there have been a few black dots transferring from map extracts to the text pages opposite them; at first I thought it was intentional but they smudge and smear when touched...

Great content otherwise...

In Canada, so didn't have any issues with the options except for the map, which from the sounds of it went fast everywhere. Everything was, quite frankly, exorbitantly priced so I didn't get the badges, much as I wanted to. Couldn't resist the book though, I love me some art books.

Edited by Roomsky

So with a break for a nap and to watch the derby, I finished reading it.

Smudgy blotches aside, I’m super happy with having purchased it.

The ‘history’ is tonally spot-on; Dan’s nailed the in-universe voice and it’s the right side of dry academia and slightly gossipy. I’ve not read the series recently enough to be fully familiar with every event, and obviously there’s plenty of gaps filled in that the books don’t cover, but there are plenty of satisfying nuggets in there.

The artwork is splendid, both the new stuff and the old. I’m pretty sure plenty is recycled, but not having bought a codex for years, I can’t say for certain. I’m not altogether sure why the cover for the Sabbat Worlds Crusade anthology merits being featured twice, one as a single page and again as a double spread, but that’s my only real complaint. There are two paintings of Hellhound tanks, and one looks like a John Blanche piece I’ve not seen before- I’m half tempted to buy a second copy to take that out and stick in a frame.

I like the portraits, both formal and Osprey-style, they really bring the characters to life. The Imperial Armour-style colour plates of tanks and titans are as good as we’ve come to expect. The art showing the Archenemy forces, whether it is new or old, is universally great. Turning the page to see a full page picture of a Woe Machine was so wonderfully absurd it prompted both laughter and awe from me.

The captions are perhaps the book’s strongest point of the book, explaining the school of art each picture belongs to, it’s general provenance and where it resides now- all of this made everything that much more real. The caption that accompanies the cover for Titanicus being the standout for me, there are lots of clever and well-considered touches.

Based on what Dan said about the writing sparking lots of ideas for him, we’re going to look back in coming years and see the seeds that future Ghosts stories grew from. I really want more books in a similar vein in the future.

Edited by aa.logan

Pre-ordered the Sabbat Crusade Collection yesterday before work. I'm excited, because while I haven't read Gaunt's Ghosts (yet. I still have a lot of backlog to go through :lol:), Background and Art books are something I really, really love.

Pre-ordered the Sabbat Crusade Collection yesterday before work. I'm excited, because while I haven't read Gaunt's Ghosts (yet. I still have a lot of backlog to go through :laugh.:), Background and Art books are something I really, really love.

Im in the same boat. I want t0 read Gaunts Ghosts, but I have a bit of a backlog already without adding 15 books!

I’d really like to be in a Gaunt’s Ghosts Ultras club, where we get banned from buying from BL and get in fights with the police.

After we throw all the Talos supporters out of the city.

Im in the same boat. I want t0 read Gaunts Ghosts, but I have a bit of a backlog already without adding 15 books!

There’s a very good fix for that, just start reading Gaunt’s Ghosts. They’re the most important 40k books since Rogue Trader and they’re also like reading real books you get real value out of. Really you have the Bluest Eye, Hamlet, and then about half a step back from that Blood Pact and Riders of the Dead by Dan Abnett.

Map, book all the works are back available on gw site. It’s a weird company and no mistake. But this will seriously peeve the filthy scalpers off. So if GW did this deliberately just to stick two beautiful fingers up to them I call that genius move.

People already bought copies from eBay, so this is more middle finger to those who paid eBay prices.

Map, book all the works are back available on gw site. It’s a weird company and no mistake. But this will seriously peeve the filthy scalpers off. So if GW did this deliberately just to stick two beautiful fingers up to them I call that genius move.

People already bought copies from eBay, so this is more middle finger to those who paid eBay prices.

Why would anyone but these in ebay at inflated cost? They are not limited editions!

Why would anyone but these in ebay at inflated cost? They are not limited editions!

It’s not always clear what is and isn’t limited. The map said ‘no longer available online’ which kinda implies that it was limited, compared to the book which was ‘temporarily out of stock’. I hate to keep banging the drum, but Liber Chaotica was also ‘not limited’ and yet hasn’t been available since the preorder.

And it's the same prize as other LEs. So if you're not checking on the number of pages (over 200 in this case), one sees the great cover, the prize and counts one and one together and there you go: LE assumption

Tbh, I had the same impression regardless of the number of pages. It felt like it's a LE due to their advertisement along with the map, etc.

Glad to be proven wrong and more people being able to enjoy it. I can't wait for Thursday next week. ;)

Its not a limited edition, this is *the* edition that will continue to be available for sale and which you can buy through Amazon as well.

Not seeing it on Amazon, just the old one used.

Also I’m not actually saying it is limited, just that the line between limited edition and non limited is blurry with these art/sourcebooks, based on previous examples.

Edited by fire golem

Its not a limited edition, this is *the* edition that will continue to be available for sale and which you can buy through Amazon as well.

That might not be true as we've seen in the past. Just because it's not limited per se as numbered, the number of printed copies are still limited, as is always the case with hardbacks published by BL. Just take a look at Spear of the Emperor regular hardback, or Honourbound, or Ghoulslayer. All were sold out within few days and are no longer available. Liber Chaotica wasn't LE either and sold out right away, so did 20th Anniversary edition of Space Wolf.