The Sabbat Worlds Crusade

Its not a limited edition, this is *the* edition that will continue to be available for sale and which you can buy through Amazon as well.

Not seeing it on Amazon, just the old one used.

Also I’m not actually saying it is limited, just that the line between limited edition and non limited is blurry with these art/sourcebooks, based on previous examples.

Looks like it got removed from Amazon, this edition was up there all year for pre-order.

Weird.

UK and mine arrived this morning. Just had a flick through it and I think its possibly on par with FW's IA/HH:BB in terms of layout so far, I will reserve full judgment for a full read.

That’s quite a claim! The black books were amazing in background info and icon art but I was never a fan of the models photographed as real world pics. Some work ok but not many. They always lacked some proper art.

The current run of necromunda books have set the standard for art in these type of books.

Can't say I'm not disappointed at so much - I'd say half - of the art being reused pieces from the Guard codex (one prominent Catachan piece is used to represent the Kolstec for example) Obviously some recycling was going to take place, but it did feel like filler in a lot of places. I'm also let down that the only Ghost pieces we've not seen previewed already are Bragg, Baskevyl, Curth and Zhukova. I was hoping for a lot more portraits at least.

Some great art of the Magisters, even if I prefer Sek's original depiction for being much more horrifying and gothic than the 'generic evil spiky dude' we got on The Anarch's cover, although both are included (on the same page). I love the two-page spread of the Hyrkan however, specifically because it shows what appear to be more professional non-Blood Pact Chaos soldiers akin to the BSF Traitor Guard but with a more unique design than just 'spiky Cadians'. 

The quality of the book's look and feel is fantastic though, exterior especially. 

Edited by Lord Marshal

Can't say I'm not disappointed at so much - I'd say half - of the art being reused pieces from the Guard codex, especially when they're obviously Catachans, but with a different regiment name for example. Obviously some recycling was going to take place, but it did feel like filler in a lot of places. I'm also let down the only Ghost pieces we've not seen previewed already are Bragg, Baskevyl and Zhukova.

The quality of the book's look and feel is fantastic though, exterior especially.

that’s disappointing I was hoping for some great original art.

Can't say I'm not disappointed at so much - I'd say half - of the art being reused pieces from the Guard codex, especially when they're obviously Catachans, but with a different regiment name for example. Obviously some recycling was going to take place, but it did feel like filler in a lot of places. I'm also let down the only Ghost pieces we've not seen previewed already are Bragg, Baskevyl and Zhukova.

that’s disappointing I was hoping for some great original art.

There's a good deal of original art in there, don't get me wrong but it's definitely not an 'artbook'. I'd say it's about 40% reused Guard art, 35% new, 25% reused from the last edition. 

It does feel like they fluffed the page count a bit by a good deal of it being A4-sized pieces of codex art. 

I admit I'm bias because I was hoping for a Band of Brothers spread of most of the cast (at various junctions at least) rather than the dozen we got (most of which we'd already seen).

Edited by Lord Marshal

The book is an in-universe history of the Crusade rather than the Ghosts; their status rises with Gaunt’s, so they are feature mored prominently than any other regiment, but they are only a small part of the Imperial forces involved.

This arrived today, got a sneaky look at the bits and pieces before my wife disappeared them. Very impressed with the overall look and feel of it all, except the badges. The box for the badges is great but the badges themselves look like club badges not military badges. A more military feel to them would have made the collection perfect. Did t get to look in the book....

Can't say I'm not disappointed at so much - I'd say half - of the art being reused pieces from the Guard codex (one prominent Catachan piece is used to represent the Kolstec for example) Obviously some recycling was going to take place, but it did feel like filler in a lot of places. I'm also let down that the only Ghost pieces we've not seen previewed already are Bragg, Baskevyl, Curth and Zhukova. I was hoping for a lot more portraits at least.

This is fair but the notes in the text about certain illustrations possibly being mis-labelled or being generic bits of imperial propaganda art filed as crusade illustrations by the publishers is cheeky in the extreme, very 40k and pushed the right buttons for me. Doesn't cancel out the re-use but alright, I get what you're doing here guys, that's a good joke, fair play.

Beautiful objects, and I love the use of Colonel Grae and Inquisitor Laksheema in the covering notes, discussing the verboten nature of the text and then ordering its destruction.

Love the reuse of art, which are presented wonderfully - and the return of images from the first edition. One could argue Biota's text is more authoritative than this text, which serves a more celebratory purpose commemorating and charting the arc to Gaunt's rise.

With the map I am not 100% sure what to do with it. If it is framed it is hard to use the leather wrap. Or just leave it wound up - like the scroll it really is - and then unwind at points.

So I picked mine up..... I honestly quite like it. The book is large, the pictures are nice (I never got the previous version, so I can't comment on the re-use of artwork). The pins could have been better, but oh well. The map is AMAZING, but I'm in the same boat as Petitioner's City with it :lol:

Got my copy the other day and I was just wondering if I'll have anything significant spoiled if I haven't read anything after Sabbat Martyr yet.

Yes. It will spoil the ending to the the last two books in the Victory arc. As well as other stuff that I can’t tell you....Bc it would spoil it haha.

It’s a beautiful book, but you’ve got some reading to do first my friend.