Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

40K: Legends

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
155 replies to this topic

Nusquam

Nusquam

++ OBSCURITAS IMMISERICORS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 2,886 posts
  • Faction: XIX, Raptors
What gets is that the sell the parts for just about everything in some capacity. Just because it's not bundled doesnt mean it's not sold/available.
  • Bryan Blaire, jbaeza94 and Cadius like this

CaptainMarsh

CaptainMarsh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,096 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Vigilant Heart

The rules provided work for Open, Narrative, and Matched Play. The only time there is a hard and fast gate is for organized tournament play and even then a TO can allow them, and I could see many reasons why they would. The doom and gloom from some corners can relax.

• andes, Lexington, Azekai and 3 others like this

Pieces of paper for impassable terrain? My main problem with all of this is it really takes away from the game. A giant sheet of white paper on the table sort of breaks the theme of tiny fake armies running around tiny fake locales.

Real men play Adepta Sororitas!

OrkPlayer137

OrkPlayer137

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 80 posts

No more Warboss on Warbike! Can only use the special character from Forgeworld now.

Also no more Razorbacks with heavy flamers or lascannon with twin plasma.

Edited by OrkPlayer137, 04 December 2019 - 07:13 PM.

ERJAK

ERJAK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,227 posts
Sisters lost stormbolters on sergeants so there's nothing but combi-meltas left now.

(Yes, I'm aware other options exist, but they're terrible so combi-melta)

ERJAK

ERJAK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,227 posts

The rules provided work for Open, Narrative, and Matched Play. The only time there is a hard and fast gate is for organized tournament play and even then a TO can allow them, and I could see many reasons why they would. The doom and gloom from some corners can relax.

There's almost no way TOs let legends stuff stay, same as they all jumped on the Ro3 bandwagon.

Which means people who play with tournament consistent rules won't be using these because they're no longer represented in tournament lists.

You'll still be able to use them, even in most matched play games. I doubt anybody but the biggest Dbags would begrudge you that, but they'll be DoA for a lot of people.
  • Harleqvin, ThatOneMarshal and D3L like this

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,406 posts

There's almost no way TOs let legends stuff stay, same as they all jumped on the Ro3 bandwagon.

Which means people who play with tournament consistent rules won't be using these because they're no longer represented in tournament lists.

You'll still be able to use them, even in most matched play games. I doubt anybody but the biggest Dbags would begrudge you that, but they'll be DoA for a lot of people.

Why would they be DoA for a lot of people? They even say they can be used in matched play. Not every game played is a tournament game...

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,406 posts

Sisters lost stormbolters on sergeants so there's nothing but combi-meltas left now.

(Yes, I'm aware other options exist, but they're terrible so combi-melta)

It's a pity the plasma are so expensive in comparison because they actually end up being pretty close to the same output against the targets you'd want to fire at with Storm Bolters provided you fire both and don't overcharge. But the cost makes it much less valuable.

Leif Bearclaw

Leif Bearclaw

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,757 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves

Why would they be DoA for a lot of people? They even say they can be used in matched play. Not every game played is a tournament game...

Because, as was said, TOs will treat 'Legends' as illegitimate, and 'tournament legal' is the standard a lot of gaming groups/clubs use.

This is censored.gif. Whichever way you try to spin it.

• D3L likes this

Evil Eye

Evil Eye

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,131 posts
  • Faction: Chaos and Tyranids.

Not a big deal. They're still totally playable except in the cases of particularly anal tourney environments that explicitly disallow them. And in the case of the average game, this changes absolutely nothing.

If clubs are using "tourney standard" as the baseline for a regular game then to me that seems like the problem is the aforementioned clubs forcing a very specific set of standards where it doesn't belong. Not every game needs to be some kind of competitive match.

Edited by Evil Eye, 04 December 2019 - 07:32 PM.

• SteveAntilles, Sandlemad, Lexington and 5 others like this

ztbmByp.png

I come here to discuss and find out about Warhammer 40,000 with people of every ethnicity, sexuality, country and yes, as sickening as it is, even Eldar players.

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people, but monkeys do too, if they've got a gun." -Inquisitor Edmund Izzardos, on Jokaero.

(Formerly known as Squigsquasher)

taikishi

taikishi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,009 posts

GW seems to hate bikes and now they´re going en route to chop everything in half? Is this another, "making it simpler" thing?

It's not that. They simply aren't supporting rules for models they don't sell anymore. It's called "end of lifecycle" in many other industries and its quite common.

Instead of lamenting the death of something you lost, instead look to the brightside - they gave you a tool to continue using them (in a restricted manner) going forward.

That and before you know it we will have an entire range of Primaris Heroes on Cawl-pattern Grav Bikes before long anyway.

Meanwhile, those of us who dislike Primaris find ourselves in a situation where our preferred tools are restricted/will eventually no longer be supported in some fashion.

Even CCGs aren't that bad about things.

• Interrogator Stobz and infyrana like this

ERJAK

ERJAK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,227 posts

A lot of people use their casual games to test new units/strategies/equipment loadouts/etc for tournaments. For those people, anything not allowed in a tournament won't be an option they consider because it doesn't help them get better with their army.

They'll still play AGAINST legends options, they just won't use them.

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,406 posts

Because, as was said, TOs will treat 'Legends' as illegitimate, and 'tournament legal' is the standard a lot of gaming groups/clubs use.

This is censored.gif. Whichever way you try to spin it.
That's really on the players. They can make up their own minds rather than following tournaments. It's absurd to blame GW for gaking in your own pants.

You guys seriously need to consider that tournaments aren't the be all end all. Most tournaments house rule the entire game . That should not be celebrated in any way.

Down with tournament BS lol

Edited by Lemondish, 04 December 2019 - 07:36 PM.

• Black Blow Fly, Noserenda, Bryan Blaire and 5 others like this

Klod

Klod

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 283 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Literally changes nothing for me and people I play with. 

Never looked up to tournaments, never going to. 

Edited by Klod, 04 December 2019 - 07:35 PM.

• Bryan Blaire, Evil Eye, Sonoftherubric21 and 1 other like this

taikishi

taikishi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,009 posts

Just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean it won't affect others in a negative way.

Toxichobbit

Toxichobbit

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,972 posts

I like how the Land Raider Excelsior's combi-plasma has been fixed to just do a mortal wound when it's supercharged, but the Rhino Primaris' twin plasma gun still blows the tank up. I suppose it was inevitable given they also failed to fix Chaos vehicle's combi-plasma.

• Harleqvin and Dark Shepherd like this

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,919 posts
  • Faction: Blood Ravens
First official warning - we're already having to remove posts since people are starting to pick fights with each other. Don't.
=][=

• Interrogator Stobz likes this
Active Projects: The Great Repaintening! - follow along on my journey to repaint a Blood Ravens army. | Adeptus Titanicis: Legio Metalica - a slow-grow plog of tiny titans and tinier knights.
Finished Projects: Brother Casman's Waaagh! - All of my Orks... for now. | Brother Casman's Terrain Extravaganza! - Getting the "Third Army" on the battlefield

In the operations of war, [...] the expenditure at home and at the front, including entertainment of guests, small items such as glue and paint, and sums spent on chariots and armor, will reach the total of a thousand ounces of silver per day. Such is the cost of raising an army ...

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,484 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

You guys seriously need to consider that tournaments aren't the be all end all. Most tournaments house rule the entire game . That should not be celebrated in any way.

The game is meant to be house-ruled. 2/3 of the main rulebook content is unusable without house rules by design.

TheFinisher4Ever

TheFinisher4Ever

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 530 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights
I run tournaments are my store and I see absolutely no reason to not allow legends. We've been playing with these options for years now and none of them have been game breaking so I don't see all tournaments deciding to ban them. Some will, but I'm guessing it won't be as common as people are making it out to be.
  • Lexington and Antarius like this

Ad Mech - 5,000 points

Blood Angels - 12,000 points

Dark Angels - 6,500 points

Deathwatch - 3,000 points

Eldar - 18,500 points

Imperial Fists - 5,000 points

Imperial Guard - 1,000 points

Grey Knights - 6,500 points

Sisters of Battle - 4,000 points

nanosquid

nanosquid

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 156 posts

The flowchart question is really important. The biggest thing I was worried about was losing options for weapons on Nobz leading a Boyz squad. I like to give them a Shoota or Kustom Shoota when I'm running them at the head of a Shoota Boy squad just to make the math easier (every extra thing you have to roll or measure seperately adds exponential time to ork players' shooting phases!), or just as a cheaper shooty option for a nobz squad with melee focus. If the flowchart is still in effect, then I can bring those, but the Legends pdf did not clarify anything for wargear options for Boyz or Nobz squads, whereas it did for some of the other index wargear options like Kommandos. I want GW to clarify whether this supercedes the options in the index.

Edited by Nazgob, 04 December 2019 - 08:23 PM.

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,672 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos

2/3 of the main rulebook content is unusable without house rules by design.

I’m assuming you’ve got some quotes from the game designers to back that up? The way the rules designers they’ve talked to on VoxCast don’t seem to indicate that there is any intent to force people to house rule things - house ruling is more of a “If you like it to play that way” concept, not a requirement to play the game.
  • Xenith, Harleqvin and Panzer like this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,070 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

^this

However in about one year when the next CA gets released the problem will solve itself since everything steadily becomes cheaper so Legends stuff will steadily become more and more overcosted. 

• Harleqvin and Captain_Krash like this

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,484 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

2/3 of the main rulebook content is unusable without house rules by design.

I’m assuming you’ve got some quotes from the game designers to back that up? The way the rules designers they’ve talked to on VoxCast don’t seem to indicate that there is any intent to force people to house rule things - house ruling is more of a “If you like it to play that way” concept, not a requirement to play the game.

I didn't say you were forced to houserule anything, that's what the remaining 1/3 of the rulebook are for.

I was referring to the quite large open and narrative play sections of the rulebook which are intended for players who don't want to be led by the hand and limited to the same 12 missions forever and ever and are made more of jumping off points than something intended to last more than a few sessions of out of the book play.

Don't need quotes from the game designers to back up a point I got from actually reading the sections of the main rulebook most people ignore because its not the 40k they grew up with or whatever (despite it being full of a pretty 2nd/third ed approach to play).

Edited by Closet Skeleton, 04 December 2019 - 09:01 PM.

Klod

Klod

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 283 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean it won't affect others in a negative way.

Everyone is saying how they feel about it, can't I do the same?

• Nemesor Tyriks and Panzer like this

OrkPlayer137

OrkPlayer137

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 80 posts

The Terminus Ultra datasheet has been updated - now it can be taken for any Chapter. It was locked to the Ultramarines in the Index.

sarabando

sarabando

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,528 posts

guess :cuss white scars players right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users