Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

40K: Legends

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
155 replies to this topic

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20,993 posts

I can see legends files increasing in size over the next couple of weeks as old options from 5 editions of the game come out of the wood work... such as the jump pack canoness, the terminator sanguinary priest 

Sadly that won't happen. Anything not included now is by design. Remember, most of these options are for models that no longer/ never existed.

There was *never* a jump pack Cannoness model officially and if it wasn't even in the index i'm afraid you've got two hopes on the subject... :(

Also, just think about it... FIVE EDITIONS of the game. No chance!

• TrawlingCleaner likes this

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,666 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment

maybe they will actually move units from legends back into army books when a model is released?

Doubt it.

More likely they are going to release new bike characters and such. Obviously Primaris then in case of Marines.

You doubt that they are going to do the thing you think they'd do? rolleyesclean.gif . Release a new mega armor and bike warboss? Marines have nothing whatsoever to do with Mega Armor and Warbike Bosses. 

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

maybe they will actually move units from legends back into army books when a model is released?

Doubt it.

More likely they are going to release new bike characters and such. Obviously Primaris then in case of Marines.

You doubt that they are going to do the thing you think they'd do? rolleyesclean.gif . Release a new mega armor and bike warboss? Marines have nothing whatsoever to do with Mega Armor and Warbike Bosses. 

No, I doubt we are going to get the exact same units back. Something similar might get released but not the exact same.

Edited by sfPanzer, 05 December 2019 - 01:41 PM.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,666 posts

How is a warboss in Mega Armor not a warboss in mega armor? This is your brain on datasheets, people.

• Noserenda and Slave to Darkness like this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

Acebaur

Acebaur

++ VENATORIS MALUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,707 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

I'm more concerned that these units will no longer be receiving support from GW going forward. As in, come the next edition there will be no more Mega Armoured War Boss, no more Big Mek, etc. That's what concerns me the most with the Legends thing and I think some people can't see the forest through the trees with this.

GW specifically said that they'd update the Legends stuff is when there is changes to the mechanics of the game like when we went from 7th to 8th

• Black Blow Fly and Marshal Rohr like this
"There can be no meeting of minds and no understanding with such beings as exist in the dark places of the galaxy.There is simply a choice: defeat them, or be defeated by them. And Defeat them we will"
- Chaplain Emmerich

++++ The Jericho Crusade ++++
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"Let our feet, steel clad, pressed into the soils of this alien land, remark on our passing. What need have we of plaudit and praise? No matter the laurel of victory, no matter the glories others may seek.
We are the Black Templars. Victory is it's own reward."
- High Marshal Helbrecht

Lexington

Lexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,590 posts
  • Faction: Orks!

GW cannot have mainline rules for anything they don't make a model for.

They absolutely can. Heck, their subsidiaries still do it on the regular. They just choose not to, mostly as a business strategy. Their comically inept handling of the Chapterhouse case is only tangentially related at this point.

I'm more concerned that these units will no longer be receiving support from GW going forward. As in, come the next edition there will be no more Mega Armoured War Boss, no more Big Mek, etc.

Eh, the engine that powered 3rd Ed - 7th Ed lasted almost twenty years. If we can get that out of 8th/Legends, I think we'll all be doing pretty well.

• Azekai, Leif Bearclaw, OgreOnAStick and 1 other like this

gallery_23421_16101_14266.png

Claws and Effect

Claws and Effect

++ ANGARUS ARANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,397 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and DIY WIP
Likely losing Company Vets on bikes in competitive play hurts White Scars badly. Their entire playstyle revolves around assault and Bikers. And it is probable that the only unit they could take that combined those 2 things effectively just went away.
  • RolandTHTG likes this

Ciler

Ciler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,222 posts
With due consideration to the fact that company vets are costed exactly the same in legends as they were in the index, I don't see why a TO that had allowed indexes would not allow legends.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. Revelations 6:8
BT Album link, Thread on the BT subforum, Thread on the TS subforum, TS album link.

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,666 posts

With due consideration to the fact that company vets are costed exactly the same in legends as they were in the index, I don't see why a TO that had allowed indexes would not allow legends.

It's got a different name on the tin. 

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,529 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE

It’s all or nothing.
=][= fortis Fortuna adiuvat . =][=
my 40k FB Page:
https://m.facebook.com/Terminus6Est
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!

Lexington

Lexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,590 posts

It’s all or nothing.

Only if a TO wants it to be. If some unit becomes busted (well, more busted than normal) because of some Relic/Strat combo or whatever, it is entirely within a TO’s power to just ban the one unit.

Borbarad

Borbarad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 222 posts
Wonder if units can be resurrected from legends, if say there is a new lord on juggernaut released for a WE codex.

Or can we safely assume that models in legends will never see a sculpt update?

Redcomet

Redcomet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 427 posts

Wonder if units can be resurrected from legends, if say there is a new lord on juggernaut released for a WE codex.

Or can we safely assume that models in legends will never see a sculpt update?

Never is a long time. But I think we won’t see them for the foreseeable future.

tvih

tvih

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,317 posts
  • Faction: CF/BT/Orks/SoB/IG

Juggernaut Lord being moved to Legends? Another thing that doesn't make sense, seeing as the fantasy version is still being sold and easy enough to use in 40k. Adding the few missing bits to a rebox for 40k wouldn't have been difficult either.

I can see legends files increasing in size over the next couple of weeks as old options from 5 editions of the game come out of the wood work... such as the jump pack canoness, the terminator sanguinary priest 

Sadly that won't happen. Anything not included now is by design. Remember, most of these options are for models that no longer/ never existed.

There was *never* a jump pack Cannoness model officially and if it wasn't even in the index i'm afraid you've got two hopes on the subject... sad.png

So because there hasn't been a model for JP Canoness, there was no chance of it being introduced when the ENTIRE MINIATURE RANGE for that army was just overhauled? It's a highly asked-for miniature for that matter, and especially with the introduction of the melee Zephyrim it makes no sense that they didn't make one. Hell, they could've just stuck a jump pack in the box of the multi-part Canoness and be done with it. Or a few extra parts like a fancier jump pack in the Zephyrim kit for a less robe-y look.

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts

There was *never* a jump pack Cannoness model officially and if it wasn't even in the index i'm afraid you've got two hopes on the subject... sad.png

So because there hasn't been a model for JP Canoness, there was no chance of it being introduced when the ENTIRE MINIATURE RANGE for that army was just overhauled? It's a highly asked-for miniature for that matter, and especially with the introduction of the melee Zephyrim it makes no sense that they didn't make one. Hell, they could've just stuck a jump pack in the box of the multi-part Canoness and be done with it. Or a few extra parts like a fancier jump pack in the Zephyrim kit for a less robe-y look.

Well they could have done so many things. They obviously didn't want to. It is what it is.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,977 posts

+ I am now zealously hoping that kicking the current Legion of the Damned datasheet to the curb was done to make way for an upcoming refresh of the models and rules as part of the Psychic Awakening, with the flamey bois returning in glory, ethereal Ferrus Manus leading them! +

+ YES, PLEASE +

• quasistellar likes this

RandyB

RandyB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 334 posts
Legion of the Damned was called out by name in the new Codex: Space Marines, wasn't it?

Put the toys on the table and throw the dice. Everything else is just noise.

...Unless you're just in this for the modeling. In which case, show your work. Yours likely looks better than mine, anyway.

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,765 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos
I think you are much more likely to see an “Imperial Daemons” type concept show up in 40K, some which may resemble the LotD in abilities, but may/may not be in a similar form than for straight up Legion of the Damned units to make an appearance again.

Yes, we are in an era of change to the game, and it definitely sounds like they are moving forward to different things than we had available for play in the last 20-25 years, hence Legends IMO. It does also tie in with their business model.

Also, everyone needs to remember that WYSIWYG is not a rule in the game any more, period. GW isn’t making any decisions with regards to a WYSIWYG rule - they are making decisions with regards to produced model kits with specific options in them. Yes, they still support conversions in a limited fashion, but really only in the form of putting something you already have access to in some form for a kit onto a model or just changing the appearance of something to more closely resemble a Chapter/Faction’s overall design (that they have decided on, not the gamers).

If Unit A’s kit doesn’t have a Heavy Bolt Pistol in it, it doesn’t matter if it’s easy to swap one in from another unit’s kit, the data sheet for Unit A won’t include an option for a Heavy Bolt Pistol, doesn’t matter how easy the conversion might be. Lexington is very correct on that - it really only has to do with their marketing/business strategies.

YMMV
  • Slave to Darkness likes this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

infyrana

infyrana

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,697 posts

I started collecting with the original metal Legion of the Damned at the time they were featured in WD.  It'd be nice to see a revamp of them once again and would likely be one of the very few reasons for me to want to invest in Primaris if they went that way (short of a half price sale on Redemptors, Invictors and Eliminators!).  But then, what to do with all those new metal ones I own still in blisters?!

gallery_51316_15965_6348.pnggallery_51316_15965_21147.png

Ciler

Ciler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,222 posts

I started collecting with the original metal Legion of the Damned at the time they were featured in WD.  It'd be nice to see a revamp of them once again and would likely be one of the very few reasons for me to want to invest in Primaris if they went that way (short of a half price sale on Redemptors, Invictors and Eliminators!).  But then, what to do with all those new metal ones I own still in blisters?!

Worst case scenario I'm sure you can find a sucker collector such as myself to sell them to ;)

• infyrana likes this
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. Revelations 6:8
BT Album link, Thread on the BT subforum, Thread on the TS subforum, TS album link.

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts

+ I am now zealously hoping that kicking the current Legion of the Damned datasheet to the curb was done to make way for an upcoming refresh of the models and rules as part of the Psychic Awakening, with the flamey bois returning in glory, ethereal Ferrus Manus leading them! +

+ YES, PLEASE +

Inb4 Legion of the Damned become an Endless Spell. :P 

• Doctor Perils likes this

Ciler

Ciler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,222 posts

+ YES, PLEASE +

Inb4 Legion of the Damned become an Endless Spell. tongue.png

Called it on the french forums 2 hours ago. It would actually make sort of sense.

LotD is rumoured to be like emperor's "daemons" (with saints as his greater deamons and whatever the hell that makes the Emperor's Champion), and such phenomenons are supposed to have become pretty much common as of PA:2 Faith and Fury fluff bits. Separately a lot of people are predicting "endless spells for 40k" so it would be a nice tie in.

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,765 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos

[Inb4 Legion of the Damned become an Endless Spell. :P

Given what lore might have been in the Collector’s Edition of PA2, I honestly wouldn’t put that past them...
  • Lexington likes this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Lexington

Lexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,590 posts
I’m guessing this’ll go a little deeper, and we’ll have an Imperial Saints army or something like it coming in 9th. May be the first starter without Space Marines.

(Edit: Uh, just realized this is in the News & Rumors for Legends, so maybe we’re getting a big off-topic, here. Let’s maybe not go down this path, make the Mods’ days a little easier)

Edited by Lexington, 05 December 2019 - 06:37 PM.

Ciler

Ciler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,222 posts

[Inb4 Legion of the Damned become an Endless Spell. tongue.png

Given what lore might have been in the Collector’s Edition of PA2, I honestly wouldn’t put that past them...

Actually, the limited edition doesn't really provide much more than the regular one. Certainly it details more extensively

Spoiler

but that's something that is already pretty clear in the short stories at the end of the F&F fluff section (the one with the one-armed guardsman)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users