All about that Bas(ing) - What Size?

Gederas

Okay, so I've got a question for the 30k players on the board:

Basing

Specifically, Independent Character basing.

I know that in 30k, Independent Characters can join squads. I've also noticed that in 40k now, the trend is that characters tend to be on bigger bases than their standard counterparts (ie: Power Armour Marine characters are on 40mm bases).

I'm curious if that's something that would be fine in 30k?

Inquiring because I'm building my force to work in both, and I don't want to magnetize characters so they fit on two base sizes :lol:

Because I just got the Narik Dreygur model, and while he's fine on a 32mm base, I was contemplating putting him on a 40mm to make it more scenic?

It's what I do with everything power armoured that's a character (with the exception of Sergeants, and even then, I'm kinda considering it too) Frankly it just makes them look more heroic, it's easier to differentiate, and you get more space to pull off fun basing scenes.  I've never heard any complaint. Terminators are usually big enough on 40mm's, though if I make a terminator command squad with a banner, that might end up on a 50mm if I think it's too small for whatever it is I decide.  

It's what I do with everything power armoured that's a character (with the exception of Sergeants, and even then, I'm kinda considering it too) Frankly it just makes them look more heroic, it's easier to differentiate, and you get more space to pull off fun basing scenes.  I've never heard any complaint. Terminators are usually big enough on 40mm's, though if I make a terminator command squad with a banner, that might end up on a 50mm if I think it's too small for whatever it is I decide.  

Sergeants of non-Terminator squad on 40s are just a bit too far for me Vykes :laugh.:

But, I'm glad it's not just me then when it comes to characters being on 40s.

Edited by Gederas

I usually use crests, but honestly when the sergeants are just armed with bolters, they are insanely confusing in the squad.  All my Luna wolf squads of 10's are actually units of 20, broken into front line and reserve squads.  Front line is 10 with the well armed sergeant and vox, reserve have the corporal.  Said corporals are unhelmed and armed with bolters, and they blend in like crazy, so it's not as far-fetched as it sounds :P

Go for it, so long as the space on the base is 'filled' I guess, lest anyone accuse you of gaming the system. From a purely marine perspective where everything is quite standardised, it seems like basing might be an issue, but when you factor in armies like Mechanicum and Cults where there is a lot more customisation, what the standard size of a base is becomes a lot more malleable. So taken as a whole, I don't think it should really be an issue in HH, provided you're doing it for modelling/fluff/conversion reasons etc. Besides which, it's been a thing in 40k for way longer than HH has been around anyway; can check out old 3rd ed. White Dwarf battle reports where IC's get a bit more base to work with than the rank and file.

I'm pretty sure there used to be a rule that you were allowed to go bigger with a base (but not smaller), with the rationale this exact reason - sometimes we need some space for modelling.  Does that mean my World Eaters on 25mm will never make it to the table? :sad.:

My Marshal is on the 40mm Polux base, but I keep the Consuls/Centurions on their 32's. The new 50mm and 28mm offer some interesting options for Mechancium and Auxilia. Slightly large than a Terminator, or slightly larger than a guardsmen but not quite 32. I look forward to those kind of subtle conversions. 

Well, glad to hear a lot of people are in the same boat as me when it comes to character basing.... :lol:

It was mainly because Narik is a named Character, I always feel named characters are better on bigger bases.

I'm pretty sure there used to be a rule that you were allowed to go bigger with a base (but not smaller), with the rationale this exact reason - sometimes we need some space for modelling.  Does that mean my World Eaters on 25mm will never make it to the table? :sad.:

Did they come with those bases? Then they're good :lol:

From a modelling perspective a base a size up will usually help accommodate weapons/wargear and the more unique and dynamic poses people like to sport for their ICs. A legion herald will almost always look better (and be less of a tipping hazard) on a 40mm compared to the smaller bases.

But, in terms of game mechanics, those bigger bases are almost always an advantage. That herald has an aura ability that would now be projected further, as would vykes' terminator throwing fearless around. That bigger base also allows more of a footprint for more efficient tanking on artificer and a larger amount of friendly models being engaged in combat. In terms of dreygur, the larger base would mainly allow him to tank on his 2+ better and to get in base to base to cheese melta bombs.

But thats really down to individual groups in terms of how strict they are about measuring distances and bases and the like. My group plays ruin walls as impassable and the base needs to fit through doors to traverse them, so base size is more emphasized for us.