Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Variation of the “No Chaplains” list (credit to TiguriusX)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

NightHowler

NightHowler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,057 posts
  • Faction: The Hand at the Gate
First, full credit to TiguriusX for the idea of using chaplain dreads for character denial to protect a source of low BS heavy weapons. Pure genius.

This is my spin on that idea. This version was only made possible with the recent point drops in chapter approved and abuses our access to dreads with invulnerable saves as the shield for the chaplains (and Bjorn). It clearly lacks any way of engaging highly mobile armies, but the idea isn’t to engage, it’s to deny the enemy access to my objectives while shooting 8 lascannon shots per turn into the other army with impunity.

This is a list I propose to take to LVO in January, so please gear comments and criticism from the perspective of ITC rules. Thanks!

++ Battalion Detachment ++

+ HQ +

Bjorn the Fell-handed: Heavy flamer, Twin lascannon

Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought: Warlord, Saga of the Beastslayer, Twin lascannon, Dreadnought combat weapon, Storm bolter

Iron Priest: Boltgun, The Armour of Russ, Thunder hammer

+ Troops +

Grey Hunters
. Grey Hunter Pack Leader
. 4x Grey Hunter w/Bolt Pistol

Grey Hunters

Grey Hunters

+ Elites +

Venerable Dreadnought: Fenrisian Great Axe and Blizzard Shield

++ Battalion Detachment ++

+ HQ +

Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought: Twin lascannon, Dreadnought combat weapon, Storm bolter

Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought: Twin lascannon, Dreadnought combat weapon, Storm bolter

+ Troops +

Grey Hunters

Grey Hunters

Grey Hunters

+ Elites +

Wulfen Dreadnought: Fenrisian Great Axe and Blizzard Shield, Storm bolter

++ Total: [2,157pts, 14CP] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)
  • TiguriusX likes this

"By the River fettered Fenrir will lie till draws nigh the doom of the Gods." - Frey, Lokasenna: 41

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,646 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves
at least 1 unit of infiltrators

utility is worth removing a dread to upgrade GH

you need to be able to safely occupy a ruin regardless of deployment type

also...you will want a wgbl to reroll wounds. it may be worth replacing IP to get a jump pack armor of russ wgbl

jump makes your intervention moves much easier

also...your army may not score as well with so many dreads on the table.

8 LC can only kill so many targets a turn. if opponent pops 2 or so dreads you may not earn kill more

earning kill more is one of the foundations of the list in ITC competitive environment. the way i hide and screen the hq dreads makes aggressive board control difficult

my version of the list hides and outflanks everything besides the character dreads so there are literally no targets unless you can indirect fire

however...your flavor of the list may be able to pull different tricks because you have so many dreads screaming across the board. give it some trial runs to get a feel for it

Edited by TiguriusX, 06 December 2019 - 08:42 PM.

• NightHowler likes this

A digital space wolf returning to the pack and emerging from the warp on the TT to try the hobby side.  I started with Vassal40K and currently enjoy TTS40K

Inglorious Drunkard Champion-Night 3 (2012)

ETL first time participant-2018

ETL-2019

gallery_48988_15465_42927.png

NightHowler

NightHowler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,057 posts
Thanks for the tips!

I was definitely torn between Iron Priest and trying to find the points for a WGBL. Reroll 1s to wound vs repairing d3 wounds a turn. I don’t think I can fit both in without either losing a dread or dropping 3 packs of grey hunters and switching one detachment from battalion to vanguard.

I’d rather not give up a dread as that’s kind of the gimmick I’m playing here. I’ve got 14cp right now. If you think I’d be able to make due with 10cp, I could probably get both a WGBL and a squad of infiltrators by switching one detachment to vanguard.

Thoughts?

"By the River fettered Fenrir will lie till draws nigh the doom of the Gods." - Frey, Lokasenna: 41

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,646 posts

Thanks for the tips!

I was definitely torn between Iron Priest and trying to find the points for a WGBL. Reroll 1s to wound vs repairing d3 wounds a turn. I don’t think I can fit both in without either losing a dread or dropping 3 packs of grey hunters and switching one detachment from battalion to vanguard.

I’d rather not give up a dread as that’s kind of the gimmick I’m playing here. I’ve got 14cp right now. If you think I’d be able to make due with 10cp, I could probably get both a WGBL and a squad of infiltrators by switching one detachment to vanguard.

Thoughts?

My first attempt at the list i used the IP and attended a GT

in 5 games i think i repaired 1 or 2 times

tournament players focus fire and make sure things die

i also rolled many 1s and 2s to wound...cN only CP reroll a single die per shooting phase. wgbl is worth the change

also...when the saga is active your LCs become insane rerolling everything

I think you have more CP than you can use...could even drop a battalion to another detachment

the dread hq army has no stratagem super combos

i would consider replacing 3 units of GH with a long fang plasma squad....they can use CP and provide your surprise ace in the hole around the same time your wulfen dreads reach enemy lines
  • NightHowler likes this

A digital space wolf returning to the pack and emerging from the warp on the TT to try the hobby side.  I started with Vassal40K and currently enjoy TTS40K

ETL-2019

NightHowler

NightHowler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,057 posts
Ok. Here’s a new draft. I dropped all the troops trading out both battalions for two vanguards and a supreme command. After trophies of Fenris and Bjorn’s bonus, it should have 6cp.

I didn’t grab the infiltrators, just because I was moving away from troops, but picked up a couple of cyber wolves for “easy to hide” home objective campers.

I also avoided the long fangs.

I did grab a WGBL.

I also picked up a whirlwind for hidden objective campers and a Leviathan for some horde control/deep strike deterrent with a rune priest for chooser of the slain.

I also picked up a Lucian Pod for holding the Leviathan back to protect against alpha strikes, and also for pinpoint placement at the right time when needed (obviously this is only when I don’t anticipate needing crossed of the slain).

Does this feel like an improvement to you?

++ Vanguard Detachment ++

+ HQ +

Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought [11 PL, 192pts]: Twin lascannon, Dreadnought combat weapon, Storm bolter

Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought [11 PL, 192pts]: Twin lascannon, Dreadnought combat weapon, Storm bolter

+ Elites +

Wulfen Dreadnought [8 PL, 152pts]
Fenrisian great axe, Blizzard shield, Storm bolter

+ Fast Attack +

Cyberwolves [1 PL, 15pts]: Cyberwolf

++ Vanguard Detachment ++

+ HQ +

+ Elites +

Venerable Dreadnought [9 PL, 147pts]
Blizzard shield, Fenrisian great axe, Storm bolter

+ Fast Attack +

Cyberwolves [1 PL, 15pts]: Cyberwolf

+ Heavy Support +

Relic Leviathan Dreadnought [16 PL, 303pts]: 2x Heavy flamer, 2x Storm cannon array

Whirlwind [6 PL, 90pts]: Whirlwind vengeance launcher

+ Dedicated Transport +

Lucius Pattern Dreadnought Drop Pod [6 PL, 80pts]

++ Supreme Command Detachment ++

Trophies of Fenris [-1CP]: Trophies of Fenris - 1 Extra Relic

+ HQ +

Bjorn the Fell-handed [12 PL, 234pts, 1CP]: Heavy flamer, Twin lascannon

Rune Priest [7 PL, 129pts]: 1. Living Lightning, 2. Tempest's Wrath, Bolt pistol, Jump Pack, Psychic hood, Runic axe, The Armour of Russ

Wolf Guard Battle Leader [5 PL, 109pts]: Jump Pack, Storm shield, The Wulfen Stone, Thunder hammer

++ Total: [138 PL, 2,448pts, 6CP] ++

After Chapter Approved point changes, I believe this should be 2000points on the dot, but that number may be off.
  • TiguriusX likes this

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,646 posts
Cyber wolves wont survive long if opponent has any type of indirect fire. 2 wounds T4 is not enough

Anyone playing imperial guard will have mortars etc. that should insta kill them

Gives up easy kill points and counters your ITC strategy

A small number of troops are good for 2 reasons
-troops can go in ruins etc
-numbers of wounds to survive

infiltrators have 10 wounds in the unit and can find cover regardless of deployment

eliminators are an ok substitution because 6 wounds with 2+ save and can return fire even if out of LOS

run some tests

you need to see what to see what deployment does to your plan as well as how an opponent counters you

You need to see the ITC tug of war in effect (kill more / hold more every turn)

Also...keep in mind your list plays different from mine....so some of this advice may not be applicable

For example i need my hidden bodies to screen and keep HQs safe

Your list however has a bunch of dreads racing forward. it may change your needs and experience. maybe cyber wolves in the rear just to sit on an objective work just fine in that scenario

final item...you considering the use of assassins at all?
  • NightHowler likes this

ETL-2019

NightHowler

NightHowler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,057 posts
I wish I could give more likes. I really appreciate the brainstorming.

Eliminators would actually help the whirlwind in taking care of other people’s cyberwolf style cheap hidden objective campers.

In a similar vein, I also assumed that other people would have a means of dealing with my cyber wolves but I half-heartedly hoped that 10 dreads running toward them would draw fire away. I suppose that really only works when facing someone who forgets to focus on the objectives and at LVO those people are probably few and far between.

I have thought about assassins, but with the original double battalion list there were no points left over for them. Maybe I’ll entertain the idea a little more now that I’m dropping the battalions.

I think I’ll play a few games and see how it feels.

Thanks again for all the very helpful comments!!!
  • TiguriusX likes this

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,646 posts
dude i love theory craft.

i rarely have time to play so i live vicariously through other people and their batreps and stories

for example i originally was planning on an RTT today then my kids (8 and 10) had their BJJ belt ceremony moved to this day.

family first and my 40k gets bumped

so you go show people the hidden SW dread trick and let me know how it goes

😁

Edited by TiguriusX, 08 December 2019 - 05:15 AM.

• NightHowler likes this

ETL-2019

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users