Aothaine

I will be using this to keep track of the short stories I will be writing about the Wolf Pack clan. I will be linking these stories to my Blog on the Space Wolves forum but more than appreciate feedback. I will link all stories to this first post and update the title as updates come in for those that are interested.

Vision Quest

Click Here

Edited by Aothaine

Vision Quest

Five days had passed since he had set out into the blizzard. A storm that had only increased in magnitude since it started. To Halstein it was a mild annoyance. It hampered his visual senses but his smell was still strong. The wolf was strong in him. He finished his morning stretches and hyper-heat exercises before leaving the cave he had taken shelter in, a pool of quickly freezing water was all that remained of his presence. Travelling in this weather was foolish enough, he wasn't about to expose his back to the terrors that walked this mountain while he meditated so he had chosen a defensible cave. He collected his few belongings and started the climb up the mountain and into the eye of the storm. 

He had learned at an early age how to walk silently on the snow. It was something most Space Wolves learned years before they were elevated to one of the sons of the Wolf King. But he quickly realized his efforts were in vain when he caught a foul scent coming from upwind. Instinct took over instantly. He spun to the right and gathered the storm in his hands. He had always envisioned using his powers like playing with the soft clay found in the better climates of Fenris. It gave him an advantage that allowed him to use his entire life's experiences when pulling from the warp. It broke to his will and formed itself into a spear of ice that quickly shot itself into the white wall of snow and wind. Seconds later her heard a sound of pain. A sound that lifted his hair and sent a taste of sickness to his mouth. Chaos. How this beast has survived until now did not matter. Today would be it's last.

He spun quickly to the sound of movement behind him and to his left, he tugged at the warp again with his mind  and a split second later formed two more of the icy spear projectiles. He waited for the beasts to approach this time and only fired as they lunged into the air with murderous snarls. The two bodies dropped before him. A quick glance and he knew at once what his enemy was and how he would attempt to beat them. The bodies began to melt into the snow causing foul smelling steam to rise into the air and only leaving a few spatters of red that were quickly covered by the storm. 

The hunt was on. He knew these beasts hunted in packs of eight. Three were dead. He began to run full tilt up the mountain focusing on his smell and his hearing as he went. The sight of a Space Wolf running up a mountain during a hunt is one of the more terrifying things anyone can witness and it would leave nightmares in the minds of the most iron willed mortals of any xenos or human. But luckily none were there to see this display of skill. The storm raged harder the higher that he went. 

Thoughts raced through his head. Movement. Leap. Mold. Release.

It appeared that his deception had worked. The pack of Flesh Hounds had thought he was on the run and began to expose their positions. He felled three more before having to come to a stop. He had reached the pinnacle of the mountain. The top having been flattened and arranged as an arena. A fitting place to end the remaining two. His breath caught quickly as he walked to the center of the platform. It was calm here and he had his vision restored. He could see fifty feet in every direction. However, his advantages did not seem to bother the remaining two hounds. They reached the top and encircled him. White plumes of frosted air venting out quickly from their mouths as they snarled in chaotic anger. 

Halstein grinned and slammed his fists onto his bare chest with a howl that would make any of his brothers proud. The hounds sprinted toward him from either side. He caught one of the mouth of one hound using both hands and consigned himself to absorb the charge of the other. His mind raced as he molded the warp to his will and the first hound was engulfed in bright white and gold fire. A divine fire. He has seen this fire before upon the sword of The All-Father wielded by the primarch of the Ultramarines. This thought was erased from his mind quickly as the second hound latched itself to his back, dug in deeply and clamped it's jaws around his neck. 

He fell to one knee. His body screamed in pain. Space Marines were hardy but they still relied heavily on their armour in combat for various support systems and protection. The ground below him quickly became a pool of his own blood and his vision blurred. He knew forming the warp in this state would be risking his soul to Chaos and so locked that idea in the back of his mind. He reached around trying to grab hold of the hound, but could not gain advantage and it continued tearing his flesh apart. Cold started to form in his limbs first. His two hearts beat rapidly and his blood clotted at extreme speeds to try and stymie the loss of blood and provide oxygen to his organs. He realized then it was his time. He dropped to his hands as the hound continued to maul him from behind and coughed up blood. It had reached his lungs now, the first one failed and closed itself off. He breathed in what air he could and tried to howl one last time. However, it was interrupted as the strength in his arms gave out. He collapsed under the weight of his assailant. 

He wasn't dead yet, he retreated to his mind and smiled to himself. He had died fighting. Stories would be told of him. He would be honored. He thought to himself.

Darkness started to take him. His senses started to fail one by one until only his hearing was left. Just before the end, a howl shook the heavens. The pain dulled. The was hound gone.

Halstein awoke covered in sweat. Still in the small cave he had once called home many decades ago. A grin broke on his face and he let out a mighty howl. His vision quest had been granted. The Wolf King would return and he would be there to see it.

Edited by Aothaine

Fascinating. So the story is about

a Rune Priest probing the Warp for signs of his Primarch, while he physically remains on Fenris
?

Yup. A vision quest to answer a question. Is he good enough. Does he have the strength to fight on in these dark times. Will he ever see the Great Wolf he had heard so much about. I've read lore stating that the Space Wolves would be on the brink of losing and then a howl will be heard and the Great Wolf will return. This is my version of that through a vision of a Rune Priest from the Wolf Pack Clan that is used primarily for Primaris recruits. I'm still working on the lore of the Wolf Clan and still learning a lot about Space Wolves. So some things may change but I think this story is on pretty solid ground lore wise.

Nitpick:

"Great Wolf" is the Space Wolves equivalent of a Chapter Master, who also bears the title "High King of Fenris"- the latter of which should not be confused for Leman Russ' unique title of "Wolf King."

Thank you! I'll get that changed now! Still learning about Space Wolves. :biggrin.: This has been corrected.

Edited by Aothaine