2020 Wish list - story edition

Vorenus

For years players and fans asked for the WH40K universe/setting to advance and change. We got our wish. Now I want that change to continue, I want the story to continue to grow and develop. What are your story/setting development wish list items for 2020?

I want 2020 to be the year GW brings back the next two Primarchs, one Loyalist and one Traitor. For the Loyalists I want either the Khan or Vulkan. For the Traitors I want either Angron (as a Daemon Primarch) or Lion El'Johnson.

Daemon primarchs Angron and Lorgar, committing atrocities together across the galaxy. The former once again reigned in and manipulated by the latter. Lorgar, rejoining the scene, has at least SOMETHING new to say/take advantage of re: the nature of chaos and the gods. All that time hopefully resulted in something worthwhile, otherwise that’s 10 millennia wasted.

Fulgrim to stop teasing us, come back, and put Guilliman back in the ground again. 40k is then renamed "Warhammer: Age of Fulgrim".

----

Lorgar's return would certainly be the best from a story-telling perspective imo but I honestly don't think GW can handle it without screwing the whole thing up unless they brought someone like ADB in to tell them what to do. So speaking as someone who really wants to see a new range of Emperor's Children models, I hope snakeman is the next big bad to return for Chaos. Even if the story is bad at least I get new noise marines.

If I was being completely honest though I hate how the entire setting revolves around Primarchs now. It's more than a little tiresome. (edit: to clarify, how the entire fanbases' hopes & dreams revolve around Primarchs now. GW has actually been very restrained)

Edited by Marshal Loss

Fulgrim to stop teasing us, come back, and put Guilliman back in the ground again. 40k is then renamed "Warhammer: Age of Fulgrim".

----

Lorgar's return would certainly be the best from a story-telling perspective imo but I honestly don't think GW can handle it without screwing the whole thing up unless they brought someone like ADB in to tell them what to do. So speaking as someone who really wants to see a new range of Emperor's Children models, I hope snakeman is the next big bad to return for Chaos. Even if the story is bad at least I get new noise marines.

If I was being completely honest though I hate how the entire setting revolves around Primarchs now. It's more than a little tiresome.

It's not that I hate the setting revolving around the Primarchs, it's that I hate how they've made everything less about the armies, and more about weird, grand schemes of super destruction-saturday-morning-cartoons.

Like giant constructs that eat planets and spew out Daemon Engines. Or whole planets being turned into pyskers who then summon a manifestation of the Emperor. I would rather the story be about the armies, and at most the Navy / Titans. As soon as you go past that scale, it just becomes a bunch of white noise and bull:cuss.

As to my wishlist for 2020? I know what I want won't come true for another 5-7 years. Chaos Primaris marines made by Fabious Bile. Erebus entering the scene. And Abaddon dying are all at the top of my wishlists.

I assume that we're getting both Angron and Fulgrim before any other chaos primarchs.

For the loyalists, I would definitely like to see the Lion, or the khan or corax.

If I had to choose a daemon primarch to come back, it'd be Perturabo - mostly because I want to see how the man looks now. Probably like a giant Obliterator or something.

I'd be more interested in anything that introduces new unique CSM characters and perhaps other legion-specific units, though. Right now, Red Butchers aren't more than a stratagem, but I could see GW making some banging models for them. Same goes for Emperor's Children Palatine Blades, Word Bearers Anointed or Iron Warriors Stor-Bezashk.

With the Great Rift opening, I don't think there's a need for huge story advancements in the near future, personally. Psychic Awakening kinda seems to have the right idea, but the execution is terrible. Not every battle has to be crucial to the fate of the entire galaxy, I'd much rather just see something like the Siege of Vraks where you read on because of all the little details.

Edited by AHorriblePerson

I guess the reason that I brought up the Primarchs in the first post is it seems like something that GW could do that wouldn't completely redraw the map of the galaxy again.  We just got the Great Rift, and I like the Great Rift.  I like the ideas behind it.  I like how it changed the feel and dynamic of the setting.  I want that to continue for a while.  I don't want the entire story and setting to be upended again so soon.  But I still want some progress with the story and developments in the setting, and it feels like Primarchs returning is an obvious way to do that--and sell more models at the same time!  

I'm sure if we try harder we can come up with more original or more creative things we want to see with the story, such as perhaps a long-term alliance between the T'au and another race that changes the balance of power in that corner of the galaxy, or perhaps some new threat emerges that is as scary as the Tyranids.  But those seem harder to conceptualize at this stage, since I don't work for GW and I'm not invited to their secret cult board meetings where they lay out their plans for world/galactic domination.

What I think will happen? Angron or Fulgrim for dang sure with their respective legions. In 2020 (at SOME point) I would bet we will see one of these 2 figure. 

What I want? Lorgar or possibly Perturabo. I would love that and also give some of the non-cults Mega-Characters that aren't just Abbadon.

Something that I think will eventually happen down the line is that the non-cult legions aside from Black Legion will receive new characters. Chaosy counterparts to all the new loyalist characters.

I have a feeling somewhere down the pipe it might occur. (note: that is entirely conjecture on my part) I think that if GW were to follow the same design conventions as the loyalist characters that would be four new plastic kits (IW/AL/NL/WB) for single characters akin to their loyalist counter parts and open up design space for the legions as well as drumming up interest that doesn't require much from GW resource wise. 

Though I would personally love a new Possessed kit and I hope one is coming in the next couple years. 

If I had to choose a daemon primarch to come back, it'd be Perturabo - mostly because I want to see how the man looks now. Probably like a giant Obliterator or something.

I'd be more interested in anything that introduces new unique CSM characters and perhaps other legion-specific units, though. Right now, Red Butchers aren't more than a stratagem, but I could see GW making some banging models for them. Same goes for Emperor's Children Palatine Blades, Word Bearers Anointed or Iron Warriors Stor-Bezashk.

With the Great Rift opening, I don't think there's a need for huge story advancements in the near future, personally. Psychic Awakening kinda seems to have the right idea, but the execution is terrible. Not every battle has to be crucial to the fate of the entire galaxy, I'd much rather just see something like the Siege of Vraks where you read on because of all the little details.

I believe Perturabo was described as basically a giant obliterator.

Peter Turbo (some auto corrects are too good) and Lorgsr are the most interesting elements to me.

I’d love to see Pert and IW as forces that can swap alignment with Chaos gods as needed...but at a cost. Shows space magicks are just another weapon in the arsenal and if that weapon demands more and more sacrifice...just another thing to account for on the balance sheet of war. Petey thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room and has been able to bend Chaos to his will...but in reality he’s buying their loyalties on a credit card and it means when the inevitable fall comes he won’t have a “sponsor” among the gods to take him on board, leaving him ,most susceptible to simply being devoured or truly enslaved. 

Lorgar, on the other hand, I would love to see him as the guy that truly mastered the warp. He was the weakling of the Primarchs, the academic...but 10,000 years of patient study has led him to be able to truly harness the warp and bend the will of the chaos forces to his own...without becoming a slave to darkness. He can have all four gods empowering him at the same time with no drawbacks. Who was once the “weakling” is now the single post powerful entity other than the Emperor...you could also call him a dark emperor of sorts...

That being said, I agree with @Marshal Loss in that I think current GW wouldn’t be able to do a Lorgar of that magnitude of character growth justice, so I’d rather they not bother for a while. Give us Angron and Fulgrim, play the hits as ADB says.

For the Traitors I want either Angron (as a Daemon Primarch) or Lion El'Johnson.

That joke is so old it belongs in a museum.

Still funny though. ;)

Kinda sick of Primarchs tbh, not a fan of the heresy lite direction, but as it seems thats the path GW will go down I wanna see Fulgrim and/or Lorgar. Keep Primaris away from Chaos though, we dont need that hot mess, just give us decent Chosen instead, we dont need the new shiny toys the Imperials get, we dont need more 'spiky' versions of loyalists, theres plenty of things Bile can do without it being Primaris based, even though I have a feeling GW will end up doing it anyway. 

For Chaos to win an engagement with no Caveats. Why Vigilus wasn't a chaos Victory is astonishing.

Obligatory primartch wish : Perturabo in 40k if no model just a wee lore tid bit about what the dude is up to. or a hint of what the :cusser looks like now

Abbadon's journey in 8th edition where is this thread ultimately leading ? Terra? end times for the Imperium ? or epic loss and Back to failaddon.

WTAF is Lorgar up to ?

Evolved chaos. like Fabius Cracks the perfect mix of Demon & Astartes with Hellforged weapons

Edited by Guzzlrr

Actual consequences. No more of the yawn fest that was Vigilus - Oh look Abaddon is ready to kill Calgar but wait! Hark! the Vengeful Spirit is in danger! I must see to this at once! Yawn.

Kill some characters - the best bit of writing GW (Not BL) have ever done was the original Eye of Terror wrap up and Eldrad got his soul eaten by a Blackstone. Make all this build up mean something come the full time whistle. 

Kill off someone of meaning to show that the stakes are actually pretty grim this time rather than nobody wolf lords or already condemned Tychos. /rant

The one model I want to see more than anything else (screw Primarchs they're boring now, not to mention impossible to balance appropriately for gameplay, just look at the 3 we have already) is Khayon. Won't get him because that would mean that Aaron is constrained by what he can write in future and vice versa with GW and their own lore but god he'd be an amazing centrepiece model

So I want special characters for each Legion. Yes I know this isn't wishlisting but I am leading into story:

I want the focus to be on the Marines not the Primarchs, though I'd like to see Perty.

I want the Iron Warriors to unite as a Legion and have a "Herald of Iron" (not Honsou). Then have him kill the Chapter Master of the Imperial Fists (Gregor) in a clear victory for the Iron Warriors. Have a third of the Imperial Fists fall in a trap.

I would like to see the Night Lords increasingly suffused with visions of Curze, like a dark version of Sanguinius visions. This causes a faction to rise in the Night Lords, "the Hunters of the Night", they believe that Curze is either not dead or can rise. This takes Them on a Dark Crusade into the Eastern fringe, which leads them to raise several worlds. Basically an extra layer to Night Lords as Dark Crusaders seeking to resurrect their Primarch.

Alpha Legion attack Terra. Yes the Alpha Legion. They blow up a hive on Terra. Everyone poops their pants. Questions arise, did they do it to weaken Terra for the coming invasion, or with the hyper-militarisation of Terra (even more!) did they in fact do it to strengthen them!?

The first Primaris turn traitor - Traitor Primaris shouldn't look like Primaris, they're basically mutated monsters ala what happened to the Raven Guard.

Fabulous Bill unleashes his new breed of warrior, this may be related to the previous statement.

The Fallen appear in a sector of the Galaxy - a Chapter size of them with Cypher at it's head, the Dark Angels appear, (this coincides with the new Dark Angels book). The war for Caliban begins anew, however they are interrupted by (lets say...) Tyranids. Fallen and Dark Angel end fighting back to back and side to side against the Xenos for some extra spice heresy that'll break the internet. 

I want the Iron Warriors to unite as a Legion and have a "Herald of Iron" (not Honsou). Then have him kill the Chapter Master of the Imperial Fists (Gregor) in a clear victory for the Iron Warriors. Have a third of the Imperial Fists fall in a trap.

Shon'tu's death was retconned (sigh) and I would bet money on him being the IW character if they end up giving one for each Legion

Shon'tu's death was retconned (sigh) and I would bet money on him being the IW character if they end up giving one for each Legion

Wait, really? Where did that happen?

Wait, really? Where did that happen?

Yep - Imperial Fists supplement, he's listed as being alive and well with the 3rd company still pining for his head

PA Faith and Fury got bonus lore in the collectors edition. How about just having the same content lore + rules wise in collectors and standard editions GW eh? Just do different art and better paper + cover quality for collectors edition. 

Edited by MegaVolt87

Let the conflicts have actual consequences by killing or completely changing some old characters rather than simply updating their models. The loyalists have primaris as a vehicle for change. CSM can use possession and increased warp corruption to develop characters.

It's a careful path to tread due to making model kits invalid. But focusing on the oldest kits would make sense.

For models like Lucuis, develop their story further. And the new model can reflect that development.

Eh, I struggle to care about the story these days. Personally, I stopped clamouring for plot advancement when End Times fantasy went down, which convinced me any new plot would be terrible. Which seems to have been bourne out, as pretty much everything plot wise since Warzone Damocles has (imo obviously) been spectacularly :censored:.

That said, I really want GW to stop farting about and do WE and EC dexes. Round out and give approximate parity to the 4 cult Legions. It's really frustrating Nurgle and Tzeentch have dedicated books while Khorne and (especially) Slaanesh are still stuck with only the regular CSM dex.

I think beyond the individual micro things what I want to have happen in the story is to stop trying to please all demographics.

What I mean by this is even when the Imperium lose, they somehow win. That sucks, that's not 40k, it's not grimdark.

When the Imperium lose they should lose hard and tragically to force the point home that they are in dire straits.

I mean remember the Rogue Trader art?

400px-Rogue_trader_cover_no_text.JPG

That's Crimson Fists losing and losing hard, fighting against insane odds.

Storm of Iron is a great goddam novel for showing the "grimdark" in 40k while similarly showing the humanity of the Iron Warriors. The Iron Warriors are unequivocally the bad guys here. and (actually I'll continue with the spoiler tags here:

So Hydra Cordatus, the Iron Warriors are the bad guys but we understand why. They're horrible and they're murdering the hell out of people. Hooray! The Imperial Fists show up to save the day! But. It's not enough, it appeared like they they may had a chance but they didn't. All the heroes die, and die in their own heroic and tragic ways save the lone survivor. THAT is 40k. It's heroic tragedy. 

Compare that to the Cadia destruction? Sure, the planet was destroyed, but other than Sergeant Kell no one was killed, and Kell was never a major character of note, he was the extra miniature you got with CREED! 

Nobody of note died, only redshirts, Creed, Eldrad, Belisarius, the Living Saint, Tayzyn, Greyfax all survived.

I mean Abbadon literally was standing over a de-powered Celestine, but, she survived?! Because he wanted a Saturday morning cartoon villain monologue?! No! That is tired and trite storytelling. Abbaddon is the one who kills the ones you love.

So, what I would like to happen in a story progression? Beyond my oddly specific stuff above? I want Abbadon to kill a special character, no if's ands or buts, 100% dead, soul devoured by Drach'nyen, head chopped off and stuck on a spike and their body left as a lifeless husk for those that loved them to mourn over and rage at the despoiler.

I want Abbadon the Despoiler to kill Roboute Guilliman in single combat.

I want it to be the modern retelling of the Emperor vs Horus, but Horus aka Abbadon unequivocally wins.

I want there to be art work of Abby raising the severed head of Guilliman in triumph as the big art work piece to herald the next section of the storyline.

Edited by Iron_Within