What will be your favorite vanilla litany?

Hellunder

So, until we know anything about our new dark angels rules I think it's fun to start thinking what tactics we can use with the vanilla litanies from the space marines codex.

"Catechism of fire"+1 to wound if firing at closest visible model

Could work well with a jump pack chaplain and ravenwing bikes or knights thanks to their mobility. Either delete hordes or wound knights on a 3+

"Recitation focus" +1 to hit (with ranged weapon).

Either with chaplain on foot buffing hellblasters or as above. (a bit unnecessary due to "signal the attack")

"Canticle of hate" +2 to charge 6" bubble

Deepstrike DW knights and finally make that charge!

So what will be your favorite? Have I missed any possible tactic?

Depends on a unit choise. Large volume of bolter fire would benefit from +1 to-wound, but with units like Ravenwing knights or plasma/lascannon devastators, who already have high-str weapons, +1 to-hit looks better. Also, Manthra of Strength is fun, even on non-dreadnought chaplain with damage 3 crozius.

Also Asmodai supporting a squad of Knights with Exhortation of Rage would make the Knights do ~25 attacks on the charge (reroll failed to hit).

Now add an ancient

Yeah i was thinking about it as well :)

Land Raider Crusader

>>> Asmodai (and lieutenant ?)

>>> DW Ancient and Champion (or Apothecary ?)

>>> DW Knights

Used to be 800pts, now it's 650.

I took that without the Lieutenant and Apothecary vs Nids, the whole left side of the board was left alone by big bugs and they just waded through chaff the whole game.  Got the win though :smile.: and survived unscathed! The Knight Master absolutely bossed it!

Edited by G8Keeper

Also Asmodai supporting a squad of Knights with Exhortation of Rage would make the Knights do ~25 attacks on the charge (reroll failed to hit).

Now add an ancient

Yeah i was thinking about it as well :)

Land Raider Crusader

>>> Asmodai (and lieutenant ?)

>>> DW Ancient and Champion (or Apothecary ?)

>>> DW Knights

Used to be 800pts, now it's 650.

Take 3 variations of it, and a Dread for coolness at 2k points?

I took that without the Lieutenant and Apothecary vs Nids, the whole left side of the board was left alone by big bugs and they just waded through chaff the whole game.  Got the win though :smile.: and survived unscathed! The Knight Master absolutely bossed it!

Cool :smile.:

Knight Master is a mean moffo with his flail and additionnal attacks !

Take 3 variations of it, and a Dread for coolness at 2k points?

Hmm I'm not an expert in list building but if i had the models i would probably try this :

Belial

Asmodai

Librarian in Terminator Armor or Ezekiel (for Righteous Repugnance)

x3 Deathwing Champion

x3 Deathwing Ancient

x3 Deathwing Knights

x3 Crusaders

+ Contemptor Quad Laser or Chaplain Dread or Lieutenant (with Asmodai) depending on the points left

---

What i could actually imagine end up playing at some point :

Greenwing Land Raider

>>> Azrael

>>> Company Champion

>>> 2x4 Veterans with Lightning Claws

Deathwing Crusader

>>> Asmodai

>>> Deathwing Champion + Ancient

>>> x5 Deathwing Knights

Contemptor Quad Lasers

Chaplain Ven Dread

+ Bikers with Flamers to screen and kill chaff

Edited by Elijah

I can see me running 3 units of Knights, 1 with Asmodai and two with generic Interrogator Chaplains.  That's a lot of litanies and very fluffy!

Are the DW Champion and Ancient not limited to 1 per army? Or am I just proving me senility?

I hate to be the bearer of Bad news, but litanies are activatet at the Start of the battle round. Deepstriking units, or such disembarking from Transport cant be effected in the same turn by them imho.

Ps. Maybe if the chap is on the Board beforehand, not sure with that.

Edited by Isual

So, until we know anything about our new dark angels rules I think it's fun to start thinking what tactics we can use with the vanilla litanies from the space marines codex.

"Catechism of fire"+1 to wound if firing at closest visible model

Could work well with a jump pack chaplain and ravenwing bikes or knights thanks to their mobility. Either delete hordes or wound knights on a 3+

"Recitation focus" +1 to hit (with ranged weapon).

Either with chaplain on foot buffing hellblasters or as above. (a bit unnecessary due to "signal the attack")

So what will be your favorite? Have I missed any possible tactic?

Cathechism of Fire sounds amazing for breaking through a big blob of units with a high rate of fire unit. I''m thinking bolters wounding screens of models on a 2+. Clearing the way for a unit to make a charge in, next.

Recitation Focus clearly would be best with Plasma weapons, and in that sense, might be the most appropriate litany for us as a Chapter. Anything on foot (or on bike, if the chaplain is running around with a jump pack strapped to his back) with plasma would benefit from this. Specially to offset the -1 to hit from the Plasma Talons. Definitely better than signal the attack, in the sense that it costs no CP and is not tied to the "wound the target first with something else" requirement.

Canticle of Hate seems harder to use, really. Due to the fact that the Chaplain has to be on the ground at the start of the turn. I'm thinking it might only work through a very well laid plan, by throwing a Jump Pack Chaplain forward, and have the knights deep strike around him.

Canticle of hate: I mean, put it on a chaplain w jump pack, advance, and then deepstrike within 6" to get his +2 charge. I can see this will be possible in a lot of situations, where dw knights come in and support in the front of the battle.

Are the DW Champion and Ancient not limited to 1 per army? Or am I just proving me senility?

Ah yes... but only the DW and RW Champions, not the DW Ancient or the Chapter Ancient (lolwut).

So yeah run some Apothecary instead or make a bigger Knights squad.

I do feel that the command squad models are still a bit too expensive for what they do. Except for the DW ancient, which is badass and I would bring him in with knights even if he was more costly.

In any case, either ancient (DW or RW) would tie in well with the jump pack chaplain

I do feel that the command squad models are still a bit too expensive for what they do. Except for the DW ancient, which is badass and I would bring him in with knights even if he was more costly.

In any case, either ancient (DW or RW) would tie in well with the jump pack chaplain

If you do run Asmodai + Ancient, the DW Champion is a sweet addition with 5 (up to 9) attacks 2+ to-hit (reroll 1) S7 (S8 if Asmodai is the Warlord) AP-4 Dmg D3.

By himself he will cripple a dreadnought (8 Wounds on average) or murder a squad of Primaris.

If you do run Asmodai + Ancient, the DW Champion is a sweet addition with 5 (up to 9) attacks 2+ to-hit (reroll 1) S7 (S8 if Asmodai is the Warlord) AP-4 Dmg D3.

By himself he will cripple a dreadnought (8 Wounds on average) or murder a squad of Primaris.

I have a massive grudge match I need to win soonish against fallen. Might take him. I've lost twice using fluffy lists though, feel I need to win for the good of the chapter and my soul.

I have a massive grudge match I need to win soonish against fallen. Might take him. I've lost twice using fluffy lists though, feel I need to win for the good of the chapter and my soul.

Oh you're one lucky guy if you can use Inner Circle to it's full potential (that does make Asmodai not as much needed).

Don't forget to bring a Mace of Redemption and smash his Warlord with it :)

Oh you're one lucky guy if you can use Inner Circle to it's full potential (that does make Asmodai not as much needed).

Don't forget to bring a Mace of Redemption and smash his Warlord with it :smile.:

I made the mistake of assuming it'd be full Fallen last time and he brought dirty Alpha Legion as allies.  That being said, I do need to tailor my list somewhat, there is one hell of a mountain of plasma in his force to get through. I'll make a post on my plog about it I think, save clogging this thread up.

litanies-2019-chaplain.jpg

CC Chaplain Dreadnought with Mantra of Strength : on the charge 6 attacks 2+ to-hit (reroll the 1) S14 S16 AP-3 D4.

Give him Fury of the Lion to get S16. I forgot he got Icon of Hate so he's already S16.

Wait a moment, the Chaplain Dreadnought gets Litanies? So am I guessing right, that the Chaplain on Bike will also get access to the Litanies? 

Edited by BuiltForSin

litanies-2019-chaplain.jpg

CC Chaplain Dreadnought with Mantra of Strength : on the charge 6 attacks 2+ to-hit (reroll the 1) S14 S16 AP-3 D4.

Give him Fury of the Lion to get S16. I forgot he got Icon of Hate so he's already S16.

Wait a moment, the Chaplain Dreadnought gets Litanies? So am I guessing right, that the Chaplain on Bike will also get access to the Litanies?

I doubt it. The data slate doesnt include them, and that model is legends nw so, no updates.