Newbie player looking for help ...

Hi all,

I'm starting with Aeronautica Imperialis, and could do with some help ...

1. Campaign Rosters

Is there a generally accepted squadron size when creating a campaign roster?  Do ground assets have to be included in the initial roster, or are they a "top-up" for missions where they can be used?  I'm struggling to make squadron lists under 300 pts (I keep on ending up in the 350 - 400 pt range).

For the Imperial Navy, I was thinking of something like (299 pts):

• 2x Marauder Bomber with 2 wing bombs, armoured cockpit. flares
  • 1x Marauder Destroyer with 3 Hellstrike missiles, armoured cockpit, flares
  • Imperial ace in Thunderbolt Fury with armoured cockpit, 2 Skystrike missiles
  • 2x Thunderbolt fighters with 2 Skystrike missiles
  • 3x Thunderbolt fighters (including 1 Fury)
  • 2x Thunderbolt fighter with Hellstrike missiles and wing bombs

I know I'm a little light on transports, but I wasn't sure what to drop to get a second Destroyer.  The ground-attack Thunderbolts are possibly a little left-field, but I just can't shift the image of "wild weasel" Thunderbolts taking out the ground defences prior to the Marauders flattening everything. :smile.:

For the Orks, I was thinking of something like (290 pts):

• 1x Eavy Bommer with 2 big bombs, belching smoke
  • 2x Fighta-Bommer with 3 wing bombs, Wazmek speshul
  • Ork ace in Fighta-Bommer with kustom big shootas, 2 rokkits
  • 2x Fighta-Bommer with kustom big shootas, 2 rokkits
  • 3x Dakkajet
  • 2x Dakkajet with 2 rokkits
  • 1x Dakkajet with kustom big shootas, rokkits

I kinda want to build a Dakkajet or two with wing bombs, just because they're so quick, and hopefully it might be a bit unexpected ...

For what it's worth, I have Wings of Vengeance and a box of Eavy Bommers already.

2. Game Boards

Is there an accepted board size?  I was thinking of getting one of the 6'x4' cloth mats for Blood Red Skies from Deep Cut Studios (probably fields or battlefield), and simply folding it down if a smaller size were needed..?  I'm not sure if it's possible to get clear hex overlays to go over the top to save having a custom mat printed? (I'd be looking at several 12"x12" tiles so that I could tessellate them to get whatever size were needed).

3. Painting

I was thinking of painting up the Imperial craft with a "shark stripe" down the side - I was thinking of RLM 84 on the underside, and a camo pattern using RLM 74 and RLM 75 for the upper parts.  Is this feasible, or is it just asking for me to end up tearing my hair out in frustration?  For the bombers, I was thinking of replacing RLM 74 with RLM 81.

For the Orks, I assume it's basically a case of "any colour goes, especially red"?  Are there any klans that have a particular affinity to a specific type of aircraft?

Thanks for any help! :smile.: (and sorry for the long post :blush.:)

*Waves jauntily from open cockpit*

As someone who's played two games with unfinished models I'm probably not the best for tactical advice, but I would say that the campaign points limit should probably only be a little more than the maximum size of game you plan to play.

For example if you only have models for a 250-300 point game, then a 400 point campaign limit is too generous, it allows both players to have a large toolbox of aircraft to tailor to the exact mission. I think it would be more challenging (and satisfying) to have to compromise between upgrading aircraft for a specific role, or making them generalists, and whether to take numbers vs elites (from what I've read numbers is a lot more effective).

The two exceptions would be if you used the 'attrition' rules presented in the October White Dwarf where you make a 500 point list but can't replace any aircraft lost during games, or if you favour a more narrative approach and want to bring the perfect aircraft along for each mission. Ultimately you'll have to decide what type of campaign you want to play!

I'm going to two UK events in the new year, and the GW event set a 250 point limit, and the other one followed suit, though again this is probably down to the size of game that will be played?

My current list:

4 Thunderbolts
1 Skystrike Missile pair each

1 Ace, with flares and ejector seat.

2 Furies
1 Skystrike Missile pair each

1 Marauder Bomber

2 Marauder Destroyer

1 Manticore Missile Battery

2 Hydra Flak Batteries

Total: 250 points.

As you can see I've gone quite stingy on the upgrades to get more jets in there, but I have yet to actually see if this will work in practice. You do need to pay for your ground defences as part of the list.

Re Game boards: The rules suggest scaling them with the points value, ultimately you'll have to work with what table size you have and what mat is available! I've definitely seen people print clear overlays to use with normal gaming mat. I have heard that Orks are at a disadvantage on larger maps where it is easier to keep them at range. You can always block off a larger gaming board rather than having several sizes.

Re painting: Well anything is possible, it's just down to your imagination, patience and steady hand! The more colours you use the more time it will take. I'm doing a black stripe on some of my minis. I won't say it was super hard, but it's hard to know how much my experience and practice plays a hand.

The best tip is to use the natural panel lines of the mini as a guide for blocking in the stripes rather than trying to mask everything off, and it's just a matter of colouring in the lines with a fine brush.

I do use bits of cut up post-it as a shield when working near edges though :wink:. Masking will also work, though there is always the risk of it peeling off the paint when removed.

med_gallery_92870_11755_1544188.jpg

Edited by Beaky Brigade

*goes to wave back, loses control slightly and recovers into a wing-dip, hoping no-one notices :blush.:*

As someone who's played two games with unfinished models I'm probably not the best for tactical advice

Well, I've played 0 games, and have yet to finish assembling any models, so you're a veteran compared to me! 

I would say that the campaign points limit should probably only be a little more than the maximum size of game you plan to play .. if you only have models for a 250-300 point game, then a 400 point campaign limit is too generous, it allows both players to have a large toolbox of aircraft to tailor to the exact mission. 

That's interesting, as I'd assumed people would be going with a larger roster to be able to tailor to the missions. :blush.:

You do need to pay for your ground defences as part of the list.

Humbug! :tongue.::laugh.:

Re Game boards: ... ultimately you'll have to work with what table size you have and what mat is available! ... You can always block off a larger gaming board rather than having several sizes.

I was thinking about the 6'x4' mat (as that should cover all the options), and then folding it "down to size", although I don't know how well that'd work in practice as I'm not sure what the fabric's like :blush.:

I've definitely seen people print clear overlays to use with normal gaming mat. 

I've yet to find anywhere in the UK/EU producing them, so if you know of anywhere, it'd be appreciated! :smile.: (this is where you say you're in the US ...)

Re painting: Well anything is possible, it's just down to your imagination, patience and steady hand! The more colours you use the more time it will take.

I have no imagination, so I was intending to shamelessly copy the Luftwaffe colour schemes from WWII as I was flipping through the Vallejo catalogue and went "I like that one!" when I saw the box art on the paint set :laugh.:  I was hoping to be able to do the basecoat (including the large camo pattern) with an airbrush, then go over it with a wash (one of the grey Vallejo Model Washes) and a drybrush/edge highlight by adding some ivory into one of the base colours. 

Typically the Thunderbolt doesn't really have the same profile as a single-engine fighter (it's closer to a twin-engine side-on due to the large engine cowlings that form part of the fuselage), so I wasn't sure how well the "shark stripe" would come off.  It's also smaller-scale than anything I've airbrushed before.  I suppose there's only one way to find out! (at least no-one's told me it's madness!)

The best tip is to use the natural panel lines of the mini as a guide for blocking in the stripes rather than trying to mask everything off, and it's just a matter of colouring in the lines with a fine brush.

Yeah, I can't freehand to save my life like order and structure, so I'll be doing that :)

Thanks for your help (and that's one fine jet, too! :biggrin.:) :smile.:

That's no problem! Re the gaming Mats I've only seen people talking about them on Facebook, they may well have been US based though. I'm not investing in another one yet so I haven't looked into it very much! Maybe find a UK based printer who does not normally do gaming mats?

Good luck with your aircraft, and be sure to post the results if you feel like it!

Re the gaming Mats ... Maybe find a UK based printer who does not normally do gaming mats?

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the cheapest/easiest way is just to get Deep Cut Studios to print one with the hexes on it.  The overlay route seems to be surprisingly expensive, even if going to a general printers ...

Good luck with your aircraft, and be sure to post the results if you feel like it!

I will try. :smile.:  The last of the paint arrives next week, although the weather isn't exactly conducive to airbrushing (outside)

Edited by Firedrake Cordova