I'm starting with Aeronautica Imperialis, and could do with some help ...
1. Campaign Rosters
Is there a generally accepted squadron size when creating a campaign roster? Do ground assets have to be included in the initial roster, or are they a "top-up" for missions where they can be used? I'm struggling to make squadron lists under 300 pts (I keep on ending up in the 350 - 400 pt range).
For the Imperial Navy, I was thinking of something like (299 pts):
- 2x Marauder Bomber with 2 wing bombs, armoured cockpit. flares
- 1x Marauder Destroyer with 3 Hellstrike missiles, armoured cockpit, flares
- Imperial ace in Thunderbolt Fury with armoured cockpit, 2 Skystrike missiles
- 2x Thunderbolt fighters with 2 Skystrike missiles
- 3x Thunderbolt fighters (including 1 Fury)
- 2x Thunderbolt fighter with Hellstrike missiles and wing bombs
I know I'm a little light on transports, but I wasn't sure what to drop to get a second Destroyer. The ground-attack Thunderbolts are possibly a little left-field, but I just can't shift the image of "wild weasel" Thunderbolts taking out the ground defences prior to the Marauders flattening everything.
For the Orks, I was thinking of something like (290 pts):
- 1x Eavy Bommer with 2 big bombs, belching smoke
- 2x Fighta-Bommer with 3 wing bombs, Wazmek speshul
- Ork ace in Fighta-Bommer with kustom big shootas, 2 rokkits
- 2x Fighta-Bommer with kustom big shootas, 2 rokkits
- 3x Dakkajet
- 2x Dakkajet with 2 rokkits
- 1x Dakkajet with kustom big shootas, rokkits
I kinda want to build a Dakkajet or two with wing bombs, just because they're so quick, and hopefully it might be a bit unexpected ...
For what it's worth, I have Wings of Vengeance and a box of Eavy Bommers already.
2. Game Boards
Is there an accepted board size? I was thinking of getting one of the 6'x4' cloth mats for Blood Red Skies from Deep Cut Studios (probably fields or battlefield), and simply folding it down if a smaller size were needed..? I'm not sure if it's possible to get clear hex overlays to go over the top to save having a custom mat printed? (I'd be looking at several 12"x12" tiles so that I could tessellate them to get whatever size were needed).
I was thinking of painting up the Imperial craft with a "shark stripe" down the side - I was thinking of RLM 84 on the underside, and a camo pattern using RLM 74 and RLM 75 for the upper parts. Is this feasible, or is it just asking for me to end up tearing my hair out in frustration? For the bombers, I was thinking of replacing RLM 74 with RLM 81.
For the Orks, I assume it's basically a case of "any colour goes, especially red"? Are there any klans that have a particular affinity to a specific type of aircraft?
Thanks for any help! (and sorry for the long post )