Unsure what rule books I need.

Ray_K

Hey, all. Returning for like the 817th time! I'm unsure what rule books I currently need for what I'd like to field. I've been out of the game for quite a while so I'm not sure if what I'd like to play is even possible. I'm going for a primarily BT force with the option of mixing in a few units of Sisters, Guard, Inquisitor, or Crimson/Imperial Fists. I vaguely remember there being rules for detachments a bunch of years ago. I wouldn't want all of this in my army at the same time, just the option to mix in one or two units from other factions for thematic reasons.

I currently have Codex: Space Marines and Index: Imperium 2. Unsure what I need to purchase to make all this silliness possible. Thanks!

First, which codex Space Marines do you have? There was a re-release in August, the new version is utterly different and completely invalidates the original one from 2017. So, that's a must buy.

Second, you need Psychic Awakening: Faith and Fury. This is essentially the Black Templar Codex Supplement. It has all of our chapter specific datasheets, stratagems, relics, chaplain litanies and objectives. (F&F also has some extra rules for all space marine chapters, which is infuriating, as they could easily have chucked those into the codex which came out only three months ago!)

These two books are your absolute bare minimum.

Optional:

You need like four pages from Vigilus Defiant. That's it. I wouldn't recommend buying it now, it's been out about a year, and the majority of it has been superceded. Essentially all it has in it for Templars are two or three stratagems and an amazing warlord trait.

Codex Supplement: Imperial Fists. This is a controversial one. CURRENTLY, Black Templars can, with the rules as written, (AND I DON'T CARE WHAT THAT STUPID EMAIL FROM GW CUSTOMER SERVICE SAYS!) use the majority of the content in the Imperial Fists Supplement. Which technically means we have two super doctrines, one in the Devastator doctrine, one in Assault, (which is a little OP tbh.)

Everyone is expecting this to be addressed in the FAQ for Faith and Fury, so I would hold off until that FAQ is out before making a decision on this book. My hope is that we get to keep some of the content, particularly the stratagems and access to one or two of the relics. (They have a banner which gives +1 to hit in melee, which would be nice to have.) Otherwise, it's a nice book, with some nice fluff pages, including an interesting mention of how the 8th company are essentially yellow Templars.

So that's where we are, as of early December 2019. You need the first two, blag the third, hold off on the last.

Edited by Acebaur